Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Problem Sourcebans printing to Server.

Post New Thread Reply   

Darkwob
BANNED
Old 05-21-2021 , 10:56   Problem Sourcebans printing to Server.
Reply With Quote #1

I am currently using Sourcebans version 1.6.3. I've gone through the web banning issues. When I ban a player, the print message to the server changes. The player writes something else in 2 attempts before 5 minutes pass. And I want to prevent that. I always want to have sourcebans write their own ban message. Can anyone help?

This article appears when a Player is banned.

but the text in this picture appears when she tries to log in to the server again.

Why I want to change. Because sometimes, sometimes not even the player hits the "OK" Button without reading the text there. He doesn't know why he's banned on the server or how to get information. and as you can see, the second message does not write any website or anything to get information, I am trying to show sourcebans its own message, ie the message in the first picture, every time the player tries to login to the server while the player is banned, but I couldn't help. Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left4dead2_2021-03-13_22-24-10-002.jpg (30.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg left4dead2_2021-03-13_22-24-20-838 (1).jpg (20.4 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Darkwob; 05-21-2021 at 11:00.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 05-21-2021 , 18:31   Re: Problem Sourcebans printing to Server.
Reply With Quote #2

According to the current SourceBans++ file, sb_main.sp:

Comment out where the plugin issues game engine bans, e.g.:

1. Line 1635 - 1636
2. Line 2549 - 2551

Eventually also:

3. Line 1539 - 1542

4. Line 2658, you might also want to alter the plugin from using BanClient to use KickClient instead:

Something like for example
Code:
KickClient(target, "%t", "Banned Check Site", WebsiteAddress);

ATTENTION PLEASE!

The stuff about caching the bans with game engine bans does something good, such as e.g. keeping people banned when you're having unreliable connectivity towards your SQL database(s).

If you are performing changes like the ones mentioned above (that you actually asked for), then your game server will send all the queries on each and every connect that players are doing towards your server.

While I'm banned on your server, you are opening up for the possibility that I can do reconnect spam towards your server, and then your game sever will spam your database with queries every individual time I'm trying to connect, which can potentially lead to "DoS" attack like consequences for your database server.

The game engine ban "cache" is actually doing good things for your servers / infrastructure!

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Darkwob
BANNED
Old 05-22-2021 , 14:41   Re: Problem Sourcebans printing to Server.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
According to the current SourceBans++ file, sb_main.sp:

Comment out where the plugin issues game engine bans, e.g.:

1. Line 1635 - 1636
2. Line 2549 - 2551

Eventually also:

3. Line 1539 - 1542

4. Line 2658, you might also want to alter the plugin from using BanClient to use KickClient instead:

Something like for example
Code:
KickClient(target, "%t", "Banned Check Site", WebsiteAddress);

ATTENTION PLEASE!

The stuff about caching the bans with game engine bans does something good, such as e.g. keeping people banned when you're having unreliable connectivity towards your SQL database(s).

If you are performing changes like the ones mentioned above (that you actually asked for), then your game server will send all the queries on each and every connect that players are doing towards your server.

While I'm banned on your server, you are opening up for the possibility that I can do reconnect spam towards your server, and then your game sever will spam your database with queries every individual time I'm trying to connect, which can potentially lead to "DoS" attack like consequences for your database server.

The game engine ban "cache" is actually doing good things for your servers / infrastructure!
Thank you for your answer. but I can say that I do not understand anything. In the case of dos, I saw that the player tried 3 times at most to join the server. I don't think this will cause a problem either. If there is no problem, can you explain it to me in more detail.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 05-24-2021 , 09:46   Re: Problem Sourcebans printing to Server.
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwob View Post
can you explain it to me in more detail.
So you can't have custom messages appear when you ban clients, only kicks. What the plugin does is kick the player with a message and then it bans them for five minutes afterwards. So for five minutes, they will not see the custom message due to how the game works. What he is suggesting is to stop banning and to just kick them instead so that people can always see the custom message.

The likelihood of someone taking advantage of this change on your server is probably very low, so feel free to go with his suggestion. But if one day and you see hundreds of kicked messages in your logs, you will know why.

Last edited by Sreaper; 05-24-2021 at 09:49.