Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Download Removed?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

GiGaBiTe
Old 07-29-2014 , 03:24   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
I really don't think you guys should be broadcasting that you're using the PM system to circumvent the DMCA.
The DMCA is a U.S. law which only applies to the territories of the U.S., not the entire world (which some would like to believe.) If you live outside the U.S., you can flagrantly disregard the DMCA because it doesn't apply unless said files are hosted on some machine that resides within the U.S.

If the files are hosted outside the U.S., the only thing the guy can do then is issue takedown notices on search engines to remove the links, but that isn't going to do anything but cause minor annoyances.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 07-29-2014 , 07:13   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
The DMCA is a U.S. law which only applies to the territories of the U.S., not the entire world (which some would like to believe.) If you live outside the U.S., you can flagrantly disregard the DMCA because it doesn't apply unless said files are hosted on some machine that resides within the U.S.

If the files are hosted outside the U.S., the only thing the guy can do then is issue takedown notices on search engines to remove the links, but that isn't going to do anything but cause minor annoyances.
only problem, AlliedModders is under the US Law so AlliedModders can't ignore a DMCA
Old 07-29-2014 , 13:58   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post

Would you be willing to provide enough funding to move the AlliedModders servers to a location outside of the United States? How generous of you.
Old 07-29-2014 , 17:13   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Would you be willing to provide enough funding to move the AlliedModders servers to a location outside of the United States? How generous of you.
Servers in germany are very cheap. If AM would be hosted here, it can ignore the fucking DMCA. Something like this does not exist here.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-29-2014 , 17:14   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASTY4U View Post
Servers in germany are very cheap. If AM would be hosted here, it can ignore the fucking DMCA. Something like this does not exist here.
We're still a US company.
Old 07-29-2014 , 20:36   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASTY4U View Post
You would be willing to fund not only the moving of the servers, but also the relocation of Alliedmodders administrators to new homes in Germany?

How incredibly generous of you.

Where can I apply to be Alliedmodders staff? I'd enjoy a free vacation to Germany.

Last edited by ddhoward; 07-29-2014 at 20:36.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 07-29-2014 , 20:51   Re: download removed?

Why would any of you think that AM would possibly take the time and effort to move to a new location just for a single plugin that barely works in the first place? Additionally I'd rather not have my page load time increased by half a second.

Last edited by Sreaper; 07-29-2014 at 20:59.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 07-29-2014 , 21:05   Re: download removed?

Also, it would kind of suck to not have the DMCA backing up the whole "you must always provide the source to a plugin when providing the compiled plugin" thing. If that's how that works.

Last edited by ddhoward; 07-29-2014 at 21:05.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 07-29-2014 , 22:04   Re: download removed?

Quote:
Also, it would kind of suck to not have the DMCA backing up the whole "you must always provide the source to a plugin when providing the compiled plugin" thing. If that's how that works.
It is actually the GPL that enforces the source code requirement.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Otter
Old 08-06-2014 , 19:15   Re: download removed?

Let's write our own anticheat plugins. Without using Kigen's code, of course. It doesn't sound like his stuff was that great anyway. We don't need SMAC.

My Steam Group My Forum RFC
Closed Thread