Originally Posted by Shadowysn
This is so cluttered.
Version 1.5.4... Version 184.108.40.206... Version 2.0.0......
I considered trying out SuperVersus today, but with all these posts and all the derivative versions buried deep inside, I just reconsidered.
I'll just stick to ABM.
I do have questions though:
- Is there a menu similar to ABM that lets you teleport, switch team, or respawn others?
- How stable is the survivor bot handling? Stuff like culling of bots on player disconnect, extra bot spawn for player to control, etc.
- What are the differences between both ABM and SuperVersus?
- What is your experience with the code of SuperVersus? (if you've delved into it before)
You can list any version(s) of SuperVersus for this. You don't need to answer all my questions, too.
I'm a Campaign-only person, so Versus features are not needed for me.
Personally, I prefer SV over ABM simply because it has less features. ABM is great for overall server management but it suffers from having too many features in one plugin. If it were modular, I feel like it would succeed more.
I don't remember who I forked my copy of SV from (I think it was Shao's 2.5 version), but here are my answers to your questions:
- It has less features than ABM and therefore less commands. You cannot teleport, strip, or respawn players. SV only provides commands for switching teams, creating extra bots, and going afk/joining spectator mode.
- There are very rare instances where extra bots spawn, but for the most part, the static survivors feature is pretty stable/consistent. I haven't tried dynamic survivors so I never have to see the plugin spawning/culling extra bots.
- ABM seems to try to support all four core game modes (Campaign, Versus, Survival, Scavenge) and only works on L4D2. SV works on both games but is geared more towards PvP game modes. While it does work flawlessly in co-op modes, a lot of its fundamental features work best in Versus mode (also because it's literally called "SuperVersus" lol). I would say that ABM is good for general server management while SV is good for straightforward PvP games.
- The code definitely needs to be rewritten. Even though many versions have updated the syntax and revised parts of the code, a majority of the methods used for various features is very outdated and you can definitely tell that the plugin has aged over the past decade. Meanwhile, ABM has more "up-to-date" methods despite its code being overwhelming due to everything being in one plugin.
I only play Campaign mode as well, so I cannot say much for the Versus aspect of either plugin.