0% 

Some errors in server console log

Post New Thread Reply   

benderunit9000
Old 06-19-2013 , 13:05   Re: Re: Some errors in server console log
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
You neither need to copy it, nor symlink it. The file is not required.
If it is not required, then why is there an error message?

I do this for completeness.

Last edited by benderunit9000; 06-19-2013 at 13:06.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-19-2013 , 14:35   Re: Some errors in server console log
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderunit9000 View Post
If it is not required, then why is there an error message?

I do this for completeness.
Valve thought it would be a good idea to look for the Steam Client library and use the same library for both the server and client.

From what I can tell from previous comments by Valve, this check was only supposed to happen the first time ever that you started the server and never mention it again (Source: Alfred Reynolds), but srcds checks for it on every startup, then uses its own copy if it's not found..

The dumb thing? Sharing this library between client and server causes more problems than it fixes, as if you have an out of date Steam Linux client on the same machine, the server does weird things or crashes.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-19-2013 at 14:36.
Krillin
Old 04-27-2014 , 17:12   Re: Some errors in server console log
Reply With Quote #13

I had this problem, and I saw in the "home" folder there was a .steam folder already. Now the steamcmd.sh running on Linux created symbolic links to our steamcmd_linux folder. But during the setup process I renamed the "steamcmd_linux" to "steamcmd". Now if you need to rebuild your steamcmd process. It is pretty simple. This is done by VALVe for some reason or another.

If need be, here is what you do.

1) Redownload the steamcmd.
2) Extract it into the folder where you run your servers from. If you have one, delete everything except the linux32 folder and steam.sh and steamcmd.sh.
3) Open a terminal window and type rm .steam or
A) Open file manager, or Nautilus, Type CTRL+H (This will show hidden files) right click on .steam and select "Move To trash."
4) CD into the steamcmd folder or where ever you staged your steamcmd content.
5) Run ./steamcmd.sh and let it create the .steam folder and the sybolic links the servers are looking for.

That ugly error message is now gone!

Please Note: This will only work if you have the required installed packages on your system. This process worked on a newly built system with Debian 7.4.0 with following required steps to get system functioning with video then following the steps for setting up the steamcmd on a newly built system. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
Krillin

Last edited by Krillin; 04-27-2014 at 18:01. Reason: Running ./steamcmd.sh did not fix, has to be rebuilt from the ground up.