Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?

Post New Thread Reply   

comodder
Old 09-13-2018 , 19:53   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugui View Post
not on the free trial. You will need a better instance, otherwise you will quikily run out of CPU credits as it will lag as hell
My plan was the free trial

But I can't believe just how many in my country are hosting CSGO servers on EC2 instances. I am just unable to grasp it!. I mean EC2 is costly as hell and yet these folks are hosting clan servers on EC2.

Moreover these servers are always online and rarely played on. Remember these are competitive pugs that are free to join. I just can't seem to understand how they are able to afford it.

Out of the 20 or so community servers, 10-15 are hosted on AWS EC2!!.

The most unfortunate part is a lot of owners are disgustingly closed, selfish and just flat out unapproachable.
morpig
Old 09-17-2018 , 12:01   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #12

You can run servers on DigitalOcean, Vultr, etc. They are far more cheaper compared to EC2/GCE. I've hosted some 128tick servers on there, and the performance was normal. 2cores are enough for a single server instance.
comodder
Old 09-17-2018 , 17:51   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpig View Post
You can run servers on DigitalOcean, Vultr, etc. They are far more cheaper compared to EC2/GCE. I've hosted some 128tick servers on there, and the performance was normal. 2cores are enough for a single server instance.

Thanks, I checked out their pricing and it is good. Speaking about performance, is there anywhere I can find what system specifications ESEA, FACEIT, CEVO, ESL & other top server providers use?. I really need a good guide that goes in detail about SRCDS optimization and scaling. Did you use dedicated instances or bare metal or virtual compute instances (shared virtual instances)?

Could you answer the following please?
1. What are the full specifications of your server? RAM, Storage, clock speed, etc.
2. What OS do you use? (Windows or Linux, which versions?)
3. In your above post did you mean to say you used 2 cores per SRCDS instance or 2 cores per virtual server instance on which you ran multiple 128 tick CSGO SRCDS's instances?
4. How many 128 tick csgo servers did you run? What are the resources per csgo server?
5. How much did the price workout to?
morpig
Old 09-17-2018 , 19:26   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by comodder View Post
Thanks, I checked out their pricing and it is good. Speaking about performance, is there anywhere I can find what system specifications ESEA, FACEIT, CEVO, ESL & other top server providers use?. I really need a good guide that goes in detail about SRCDS optimization and scaling. Did you use dedicated instances or bare metal or virtual compute instances (shared virtual instances)?

Could you answer the following please?
1. What are the full specifications of your server? RAM, Storage, clock speed, etc.
2. What OS do you use? (Windows or Linux, which versions?)
3. In your above post did you mean to say you used 2 cores per SRCDS instance or 2 cores per virtual server instance on which you ran multiple 128 tick CSGO SRCDS's instances?
4. How many 128 tick csgo servers did you run? What are the resources per csgo server?
5. How much did the price workout to?
I dont really know how ESEA, FACEIT, CEVO, ESL manages their servers, but there are some possibilities. Either they have a multiple game instances running in one dedi/bare metal/VM or a single game instance running in one VM. It's about scaling and resources, why would you run 100 game instances when demand is low?

I dont really go "technical" on SRCDS performance, but I just look at the performance of the SRCDS instance by hooking up "htop" and monitoring both the CPU and RAM usage constantly.

1. On DigitalOcean, I ran the 2vCPUs and 2GB RAM spec, with total bandwidth of 2TB. The clock speed was around 2.6/2.7Ghz.
2. I ran Ubuntu 16 without any modifications on the kernel or the system itself, but to avoid query attack/ddos, I have a in-house custom solution.
3. At some cases I was able to run 2x 10-slot 128tick servers with the spec above, but I noticed sometimes CPU usage is not stable when sourcemod plugins are doing intensive mysql queries. Running 1x 128tick server is more than enough on that spec.
4. SRCDS instance ran in one core, with max 900MB of RAM usage.

5. It was $15, eventhough DDoS protection is not available, it's worth it.

Last edited by morpig; 09-17-2018 at 19:29.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 09-17-2018 , 19:30   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #15

Wow, you were able to run 128 tick on 2.6Ghz? That's unheard of. Would you mind sharing some more details?
morpig
Old 09-18-2018 , 05:42   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Wow, you were able to run 128 tick on 2.6Ghz? That's unheard of. Would you mind sharing some more details?
Well, as I said above, I don't go technical on SRCDS performance and optimization, I only watch CPU usage on htop.

Currently I'm running 2x 5v5 competitive 128tick server on a VM that has core speed of 2.4Ghz (!!)

^above is another provider (not do and vultr)
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 09-18-2018 , 06:37   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #17

Wow that's absolutely amazing. Would you be open to PMing me the IP to try out the server?
Triniayo
Old 09-24-2018 , 08:18   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Wow that's absolutely amazing. Would you be open to PMing me the IP to try out the server?
Pretty sure his var values are trash.

Send a message via Skype™ to Triniayo
morpig
Old 09-24-2018 , 10:30   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLike View Post
Pretty sure his var values are trash.
Should I post server IPs here?
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 09-24-2018 , 16:08   Re: CSGO Servers on Amazon EC2?
Reply With Quote #20

Sure if you don't want to just pm me