Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Dead and Round-End Alltalk

Post New Thread Reply   

borli
Old 04-13-2010 , 09:13   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #11

plugin still not working for me, I tried both dead_mode 1 and 2, but sometimes after map change, dead counter-terrorists can hear dead terrorists, but dead terrorists can't hear dead counter terrorists, that's weird. I think I'll have to use the old dead alltalk v1.0.104, if that is the only one working for my server.
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-13-2010 , 14:04   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #12

Again, can anyone confirm this is happening to them, possibly with more details? borli, does it happen only "sometimes" after the map is changed, or every time the map is changed? Sometimes is a lot harder to test than always.

Edit:
Although I still have not confirmed the behavior borli describes in 1.2.2, I've nonetheless made an update to the plugin to make it cleaner, and if there was indeed such an issue, it may have also resolved it. Previously, the plugin was hooking the player_spawn, player_death, and round_end events via OnMapStart. It was also unhooking the events via OnEventShutdown, which seems to me to be a deprecated general callback. This was based on how strontiumdog's plugin did it. The new version of the plugin (1.2.3) hooks the events via OnPluginStart and does not unhook them at all. According to the Script Functions reference page for OnPluginStart, "[it] is not necessary to close any handles or remove hooks in this function. SourceMod guarantees that plugin shutdown automatically and correctly releases all resources".

My thought is that potentially the events being hooked via OnMapStart over and over again might have caused problems, although I doubt it, as strontiumdog's plugin does the same.

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 04-14-2010 at 01:19.
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-14-2010 , 23:31   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #13

I've updated the plugin.

I got a feature request in a private message:

Quote:
Would it be possible to add another setting to your plugin where dead players can ONLY hear dead players?
I changed dead_mode to now have 3 modes (other than disabled). The new mode allows the dead to only hear other dead. The modes have been renumbered. In games where the dead could already hear their living teammates (like Counter-Strike: Source), they will lose this ability under the new mode (dead_mode 1 in this new version).

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 04-14-2010 at 23:38.
Alias23
Old 04-17-2010 , 11:42   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
I've updated the plugin.

I got a feature request in a private message:

I changed dead_mode to now have 3 modes (other than disabled). The new mode allows the dead to only hear other dead. The modes have been renumbered. In games where the dead could already hear their living teammates (like Counter-Strike: Source), they will lose this ability under the new mode (dead_mode 1 in this new version).
Cool. I will now be using this plugin. I will keep you posted of any issues that we find. This will be used on CSS.
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-17-2010 , 13:48   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #15

I'm still sort of confused as to the need for that feature, even though I implemented it anyway. I didn't think he wanted it for CS:S. In CS:S, why would you want players to not be able to hear their living teammates?
Alias23
Old 04-18-2010 , 01:32   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
I'm still sort of confused as to the need for that feature, even though I implemented it anyway. I didn't think he wanted it for CS:S. In CS:S, why would you want players to not be able to hear their living teammates?
Because dead players are trying to have conversations with each other. On my server, 90% of my regulars use microphones and use those mics to communicate to use teamwork. So if I'm talking to dead people, I've got both dead people talking, and living people from both teams talking. It's difficult. Hearing only dead people makes for better dead conversations.

BTW, I installed this, and it worked like it should, but came back later in the day and for some reason it appeared that the plugin wasn't working. It was working like default CSS chat. Dead players could only hear dead and alive of the same team.
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-18-2010 , 20:12   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #17

I don't know what this plugin would do over the long-term that it doesn't do over the short-term. I also don't really have a good way to test it over the long-term, as the main server I use it on isn't very active.

I'm wondering if it has a memory leak or something, but it's not an incredibly complicated of a plugin, and from looking over the code, I can't see where that'd be happening. Also, everyone's voice settings are reset to the game defaults every time they spawn. Every time round_end or player_death happens, the same things happen, not depending on any variables or long-term game-state information. No data is stored beyond the time of the events.

Anyway, I did make an update to it today. I don't know if it will have any effect on your problem, though. In the spirit of the memory-leak idea, I thought it might be a problem that the same variable was getting redeclared several times in the same function a few times in the code. I cleaned those up so any variable is only declared once per event.

This is my first released SourceMod plugin, and I'm not an expert at SourcePawn by any means, so if anybody has an idea of why this might stop working over the course of a day on a server, let me know.

Also, if anybody is not having these kinds of problems, that would be nice to know as well.

Edit:
I just thought I should add that I've never seen this plugin not work on my clan's server, except in the cases I specifically have noted in the version history.

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 04-19-2010 at 18:53.
Jenzz
Old 06-26-2010 , 08:50   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #18

Hey great addon! I love the idea, but i got a problem with it on my server. Since the new css update i cant seem to use sm_mute on people... Anything you can fix?
SourceMod Donor
Old 06-27-2010 , 22:26   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #19

I've been out of town for the last 5 days, and I just barely got back to my computer. I'll take care of working on the new sm_mute problem soon. First I have to get my clan's server up and running properly. I'll be on it though, possibly even tonight if I get the chance.
Zydu
Old 06-28-2010 , 07:17   Re: Dead and Round-End Alltalk
Reply With Quote #20

I have some issues with this plugin. It simply stops working after some period of time. I don't know exactly when it stops working, but in order to get it working again I must restart server.

I'll try to find when exactly it stops working.