Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.

Post New Thread Reply   

Astridax
Old 10-30-2013 , 13:11   sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #1

Hey guys, I've just brought up my halloween server after updating to the latest stable version of sourcemod and metamod.

However the strangest of things has started to happen.

Previous to the halloween update I had my server set up as follows:
26 slots + sv_visiblemaxplayers 24.

One slot was a hidden reserved slot, the other one for the replay bot.

I have noticed two things. Since a recent update, I think the halloween one,

Replay now no longer takes a slot in the sense that you need to manually include one, in the console I noticed it added one slot to my defined slot count yet doesn't report it in the server browser.

So assuming I take one slot off since replay now no longer affect slot count the slot just won't hide even after sv_visiblemaxplayers is set within server.cfg. To be more accurate, the slot is a reserved slot and a hidden one according to sourcemod.

Here's the strange part though; if after loading the map I run it as a console command, it works. It takes the visible player number down to 24. However as soon as a player connects, it goes back up to 25 without fail.

Any ideas what is going on? Has this happened to anyone else?
cool_myll
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-30-2013 , 13:21   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #2

Yes. Reported it too but no answers. https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=227630

For me reserve slots dont work. It counts replay as a person and kick players instead.
Old 10-30-2013 , 19:13   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #3

I think I have solved it to a certain extent.

If I change sm_hide_slots to 0 then use sv_visiblemaxplayers to hide the slot, this works. I get a consistent 24 slots shown.

The question is now, do reserved slots work xD? I'll test out tomorrow.
cool_myll
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-30-2013 , 19:18   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astridax View Post
I think I have solved it to a certain extent.

If I change sm_hide_slots to 0 then use sv_visiblemaxplayers to hide the slot, this works. I get a consistent 24 slots shown.

The question is now, do reserved slots work xD? I'll test out tomorrow.
I have done this. Server was 23/24 + Replay and if someone tried to join it kicks them for slot reservation.
Old 10-31-2013 , 07:41   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #5

Right okay, you have a 24 slots with two hidden and replay enabled.

24 - 2 - 22 slots. So I'm not sure how you would be getting 24 slots visible.

Can you confirm your variables?

My server is started with 25 slots and replay.

Replay adds a hidden slot that isn't visible anywhere. In effect it no longer has an effect on slot count. Hence why my server is started with 25 slots.

In server.cfg I have sv_visiblemaxplayers 24

And in sourcemod.cfg I have sm_hide_slots 0 and sm_reserve_slots 1.

This makes the 25 slot a reserved slot and the sv_visiblemaxplayers 24 makes that 25 slot hidden.

To be honest I should have expected this. Before I used sm_hide_slots to hide that one hidden slot, however it didn't hide the slot for replay. That is why I had the sv_visiblemaxplayers to hide the replay slot. However replay doesn't need a slot anymore. All in all, it seems like SM's hiding of slots either conflicts with sv_visiblemaxplayers after a recent update either to SM or to SRCDS or just doesn't work, I can't be sure. Either way, hiding only using sv_visiblemaxplayers seems to work.

I sure hope that slot is actually a reserved slot though xD. I never saw my server go over 24.

I might add though, this apparently was a problem back in 2008. I am using SM 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 was released yesterday, so I'll investigate it.
cool_myll
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-31-2013 , 08:10   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #6

I had 26 player with 2 hidden slots and the replay was counted as slot. Changing sv_visiblemaxplayer manually every time isnt very usefull.

I think the reserve slot is completely broken when you have a replay in your server and must be updated. Maybe it is just me though.
Old 10-31-2013 , 09:05   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #7

You don't have to change it every time. I fixed that problem, it doesn't keep changing now.

Believe me, replay doesn't change slot count now. Take a look at this line in my logs:

maxplayers set to 26
No '-replayserverdir' parameter found - using default replay folder.
Replay: Creating thread pool...succeeded.

This is when I set the slot count on the start up line to 25 (for the reserved slot). It automatically adds one to the slot count for the replay bot, but ensures it isn't visible at all.
Astridax
Old 10-31-2013 , 11:57   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #8

I can't however be sure about reserve slots working. I have noticed my server hovers at 23/24 a lot, and the 24 slot is often left vacant, even though my server isn't meant to kick people. When I join, or another admin joins, often it will be 24/24 like it is now. But I just can't tell if it is working properly or not.

To test this I've made my second server have an extra slot (26) with only one reserved slot. So even though it shows 24, it will actually have a theoretical maximum excluding reserved slots of 25 players. If it has a consistent 24/24 then I know reserved slots are broken and I need to compensate by adding an extra slot.

Last edited by Astridax; 10-31-2013 at 11:58.
cool_myll
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-31-2013 , 12:10   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astridax View Post
I can't however be sure about reserve slots working. I have noticed my server hovers at 23/24 a lot, and the 24 slot is often left vacant, even though my server isn't meant to kick people. When I join, or another admin joins, often it will be 24/24 like it is now. But I just can't tell if it is working properly or not.
Exactly my issue. Server was set as 24 players + 2 hidden slots. When people joined it went as far as 23/24 and the when more people join it kicked the for slot reservation. SM counts Replay as a slot.
Old 11-01-2013 , 18:15   Re: sv_visiblemaxplayers being changed everytime someone joins.
Reply With Quote #10

Well, for that brief time replay wasn't taking a slot with me. However now I'm not sure what was happening.

Now all I can say is that I have updated to 1.5.2 and noticed that with 25 slots, one never got filled.

I think the replay bot started taking up a slot again, but without reporting it. Not sure.

Either way, I put my server back up to 26 slots just, with 1 reserved slot and one for the bot and it is happily sitting with 24/24 and I don't think any admins are online.

So my advice would be, update to 1.5.2, I didn't notice anything in the patch notes about reserved slots though, but they mentioned bug fixes. Then again, they mentioned something in the 1.5.1 patch about reserved slots, I think.