Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[ANY] Smacbans 0.2.0 (Updated 2013/05/13)

Post New Thread Reply   

DoPe^
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 15:52   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #11

Why not fix so if a player gets detected by SMAC, and you are running this plugin, then the plugin will also auto add the smac ban to the global banlist?
MadMakz
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-26-2013 , 15:53   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
thank you for explaining. but i do not use this because i do not know if i can trust the trusted members who maintain this list. often these things start out with good entensions but then they get sloppy and start to ban people they do not like because there is no way to contest the addition of someone to the system and everyone just assumes the trusted members that add them is justifiable . i have seen it go on in a lot of gaming services so i speak from experiences
There are no manual bans. The bans are made by SMAC. The only reason for that we rely on trusted partners is that there's currently no easy way to make sure that the SMAC ban was made by an unaltered SMAC installation or has been manipulated. This is due to the nature of SourceMod. (If you think there's a secure way feel free to get in touch with us)

Through the trustees we have the possibility to check for the validity. That said, we had one case where a trustee had indeed attempted to fake a SMAC ban but we where able to figure this out quiet fast and took actions to make it easier to catch such attempts. This former trusted member is no more a trusted member.
All protests are beeing discussed and reviewed internaly with at least 3 to 4 different people from different communities on it.
In worst case we're going the "benefit for the doubt" way in case of a protest.

We're also following the SMAC community and development to keep eyes on FalsePositive reports (also those triggered in combination of 3rd party plugins & SMAC)so we can purge ID's banned falsely from our database.

However, like with any global ban list, such as SteamBans, everyone has it's own thought. One likes it the other don't. There's no perfect middle.

Last edited by MadMakz; 04-26-2013 at 16:00.
DoPe^
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 15:57   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeNeRaLbEaM View Post
Because of the sourcecode. We had several work-arounds but as far the source code of SMAC is open to everyone, we can not guarantee that the Bans are legit. The danger of manipulated bans are way to high.
is there anyway to apply to become a trusted member then?
DoPe^
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:01   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoklopsi View Post
Difficult, all members are members whe know since year and also a personal relationship is there.

But i suggest to add a possibility to add ones community and others can choose whether they want also ban players from this database and how much bans have to be in this database to block a player
why im asking is because we are having like 10-20 people getting detected by smac every single day on our servers, and I would also like to see those players being banned on a global list, since many of em are cheaters that returns on a new account.
GeNeRaLbEaM
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:06   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #15

I would not say no ... but i even would not go so far and say yes. I donīt wanna exclude but like we told before.
There are over 10 communitys as RAW-Member ( read and write ). If you get the OK of all of them you can become a trustee. But pls Consider :

From SMACBans Forum :

Quote:
This is the main group of SMACBANS which have the privilege to export bans into our global Database. Important : Member of this group will not be announced and are just preffered by the SMACBANS Management. But you can go ahead and make attention to you and your community. Maybe one day you get a mail from us.
Everything clear now ?
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:10   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #16

what i dont understand is why anyone would need this if they are running SMAC. from what i have seen on my own servers is the very moment a player triggers one of the many SMAC modules we run they are instantly banned, sometimes before they even join a team.

is this meant for people who want to keep SMAC banned people off their server but can't be bothered with install SMAC on their server themselves? it just seems sooo redundant.
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:15   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #17

If the plugin isn't for you lyric, it isn't for you, but others may want to benefit from the collective bans of other communities. It lessens the possibility for cheaters to join a server. It's no different than other global ban lists; if you want full control over who and who isn't banned, don't run it, fairly simple.
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:15   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoklopsi View Post
A Cheater doesn't always have his cheat on.

When we talk about cheaters, nothing could be redundant, i think.
i graciously disagree especially when you have hidden communities participating in maintaining a list of cheaters. i would never trust a community generated list even if it were maintained by sourcemod itself because the community in genral is just terrible on all accounts
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:16   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
what i dont understand is why anyone would need this if they are running SMAC.
Same question: Why is a VAC ban not only localy on the Server where the cheater is detected?

Punish the cheater and get other server free of them ;D

Sorry for my very bad english
Greetings HSFighter

Last edited by HSFighter; 04-26-2013 at 16:19.
Send a message via ICQ to HSFighter
lyric
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 16:17   Re: [ANY] Smacbans 0.1.9
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
If the plugin isn't for you lyric, it isn't for you, but others may want to benefit from the collective bans of other communities. It lessens the possibility for cheaters to join a server. It's no different than other global ban lists; if you want full control over who and who isn't banned, don't run it, fairly simple.
i notice this happens a lot here. well let me start by saying whats so wrong with me asking questions and getting details about this? why are you trying to stiffle my inquires? i thought this was open source community? discussion is such a bad thing here i suspect since so many comments get deleted by staff with unnprofessional comments. i dont understand where this place has gone so wrong with people giving their opinion and trying to figure out if this is something they need.

my comments do not prohibit anyone from using this so i dont see why you are attacking my opinion.