Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.3.0, 2022-06-24)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
Mikusch
AlliedModders Donor
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Fun Stuff
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Enables holiday-restricted cosmetics and spells regardless of the current holiday
    Old 04-12-2022 , 04:29   [TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.3.0, 2022-06-24)
    Reply With Quote #1

[TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler

This is a plugin that allows players to equip cosmetics with a Halloween / Full Moon restriction all year around.

🡺 Source Code on GitHub

Download

🡺 Download Latest Release

Frequently Asked Question (yes, singular)

Doesn't a plugin like this exist already? Why would I need this?

Most servers and similar plugins set tf_forced_holiday to a value that allows holiday-restricted cosmetics to be equipped all year around.

However, this causes several problems:
    1. Maps that use the tf_logic_on_holiday entity to determine the current active holiday will always think that it is currently Halloween.
    2. Even if it actually is Halloween or Full Moon, many of those plugins will still unintentionally remove or block holiday features, such as Halloween soul packs or Thriller taunts.
    3. If tf_forced_holiday is set to another value, Halloween cosmetics and spells will cease to function.

This plugin solves all of these problems. It enables Halloween cosmetics and spells to work all year around, while allowing the TF2 holidays to occur as they normally would.

It is not required to set tf_forced_holiday for this plugin to work. In fact, you shouldn't.

Last edited by Mikusch; 04-22-2023 at 12:13.
    worMatty
    Old 05-19-2022 , 06:07   Re: [TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.2.0, 2022-04-12)
    Reply With Quote #2

Thank you, Mikusch.

We've been using this on our deathrun server and it works perfectly.

I've never been a fan of forcing Full Moon to get Hallowe'en cosmetics on a server. It removes the possibility for map-makers to make use of the holiday to add special decorations and gameplay modifications via the use of the tf_logic_on_holiday entity.

Since this holiday is active every 28 days it can be used to give maps a bit more longevity and may help to attract players to a server on those days.
    WeDoItLive
    Old 03-09-2023 , 13:22   Re: [TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.3.0, 2022-06-24)
    Reply With Quote #3

This might be a redundant question since you could just use the tf_force_holiday plugin but..
    Would it be possible to add two cvars to this to enable/disable Thriller and Halloween soul packs?

Another question because I haven't tested with this plugin yet, does this replace the health/ammo packs with Halloween versions or does it keep the originals?
    Mikusch
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 03-09-2023 , 19:48   Re: [TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.3.0, 2022-06-24)
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeDoItLive View Post
    This might be a redundant question since you could just use the tf_force_holiday plugin but..
    Would it be possible to add two cvars to this to enable/disable Thriller and Halloween soul packs?

Another question because I haven't tested with this plugin yet, does this replace the health/ammo packs with Halloween versions or does it keep the originals?
    Likely not, you should use the other plugin for that. I want to keep this simple and not add more gamedata to maintain.

And yes, it does replace the health kits with their Halloween versions, but only during Full Moon/Halloween. They're normal otherwise.
    Old 09-09-2023 , 08:08   Re: [TF2] Halloween Cosmetic Enabler (1.3.0, 2022-06-24)
    Reply With Quote #5

Hi, this is pretty cool and it seems like a perfect plugin for me to add when I eventually get into game server administration again. There are so many cool cosmetics that deserve to be used all year.

However, there's a problem. Even though this appears to be clean and shouldn't bring any effects that make sense only during events (does it?), there are cosmetics like Mr. Mundee's Wild Ride that I want to be restricted due to how they majorly interfere with gameplay, but only outside of the event. As I am not familiar with the scripting system, I don't know if there's any plugin that would make that possible.

Perhaps I could run a cronjob to modify configs around the time when Scream Fortress starts and restart the server, but I can't wrap my head around how I'd calculate full moons, when instead a plugin could reliably and easily determine the ongoing holiday.

Last edited by lightwo; 09-09-2023 at 08:15.