Valve's request to CS:GO community owners

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 07-10-2015 , 17:27   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk74 View Post
Here's my question - if you enable sv_cheats and give weapon_karambit, you get a karambit. What's to stop someone from writing a plugin that keeps sv_cheats enabled, locks every cheat command except all give <knife> commands? That way technically we would be abiding by the new rules, yet still get vanilla knives. Hell, you could even make a menu for people that just executes a client give command, so to the client it would act just like the original knife plugin.

Thoughts?

Edit: It's not like they can say "stop using sv_cheats to give yourself weapons" - then it's just getting petty and ridiculous (as if it hasn't already).

Edit 2: Or somehow un-cheatprotecting those commands, so people can still get achievements (since sv_cheats 1 disables achievements).
All Valve has to do is remove the "weapon_" convars, or make them "DEVELOPMENTONLY" convars (TF2 has quite a few secret debug commands that I've seen in 2008 leaked source code, they don't appear in the console)

Here's an example of some development-only convars from old TF2 source code:

PHP Code:
ConVar    tf_debug_flamethrower("tf_debug_flamethrower""0"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Visualize the flamethrower damage." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_velocity"tf_flamethrower_velocity""2300.0"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Initial velocity of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_drag("tf_flamethrower_drag""0.89"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Air drag of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_float("tf_flamethrower_float""50.0"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Upward float velocity of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_flametime("tf_flamethrower_flametime""0.5"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Time to live of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_vecrand("tf_flamethrower_vecrand""0.05"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Random vector added to initial velocity of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_boxsize("tf_flamethrower_boxsize""8.0"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Size of flame damage entities." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_maxdamagedist("tf_flamethrower_maxdamagedist""350.0"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Maximum damage distance for flamethrower." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_shortrangedamagemultiplier("tf_flamethrower_shortrangedamagemultiplier""1.2"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Damage multiplier for close-in flamethrower damage." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_velocityfadestart("tf_flamethrower_velocityfadestart"".3"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Time at which attacker's velocity contribution starts to fade." );
ConVar    tf_flamethrower_velocityfadeend("tf_flamethrower_velocityfadeend"".5"FCVAR_CHEAT FCVAR_DEVELOPMENTONLY"Time at which attacker's velocity contribution finishes fading." );
//ConVar    tf_flame_force( "tf_flame_force", "30" ); 

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 07-10-2015 at 17:30.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2015 , 17:50   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
Well, I can't complain - my server hasn't changed in popularity at all, but maybe even got more popular because the knife plugin we used caused a lot of server crashes.
Now that it's gone, we get almost zero (apart from the 30-36 hour crashes cuz out of memory, Valve has to fix this).
Restart your server daily when nobody is on it.

Also, good to see some feedback from the CS:GO team. At least they address concerns from server owners, +1.

Looking at you, TF team, for sucking it.

OFF TOPIC: Can you actually give weapons to people in TF2 with sv_cheats 1? Or is that only CS:GO?

Last edited by Potato Uno; 07-10-2015 at 17:51.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-10-2015 , 17:56   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #73

I know I can restart it daily, but Valve should still fix it..
BANNED
Old 07-10-2015 , 17:58   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
I know I can restart it daily, but Valve should still fix it..
There's a wonderful plugin here you can use, Server Cron Tab. I set up a daily restart on any servers I host, be it mine or the communities I host servers for. I've noticed that if you keep a TF2 server running on Linux for a week, eventually and randomly there comes a horrendous framerate "skipping" thing that affects everyone on the server. To keep things fresh, I have a daily restart at 3am of all servers just to keep things fresh.

Plus it helps if Dr. McKay's Auto Steam Updater plugin fails (which it hasn't, knock on wood) and my server fails to update and I'm away, the daily restart also fires off the server's command line "-autoupdate" entry.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 07-10-2015 at 17:59.
PacketLoss
Old 07-10-2015 , 18:24   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #75

Hey everyone,

There is a happy ending for Communities here. Everyone is missing the boat. We can make and use our own items freely, this is going to cause my community members to make hundreds of knife skins, and it will be perfectly fine for them to use their skins in our community server. Thanks Valve for spurring the creativity in our community. I mean why spend hundreds of dollars on a knife if you can just make your own for free?

PacketLoss

www.greatdividegaming.com
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GreatDivideCommunity

Last edited by PacketLoss; 07-10-2015 at 18:24.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-10-2015 , 19:24   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk74 View Post
Here's my question - if you enable sv_cheats and give weapon_karambit, you get a karambit. What's to stop someone from writing a plugin that keeps sv_cheats enabled, locks every cheat command except all give <knife> commands? That way technically we would be abiding by the new rules, yet still get vanilla knives. Hell, you could even make a menu for people that just executes a client give command, so to the client it would act just like the original knife plugin.
They've disallowed the activity, not the method.
Old 07-10-2015 , 19:52   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #77

It's like putting out a basket of candy on halloween with a sign that says "please take one"
Some people will follow your directions, but for a lot of people, they'll take many more than one if they believe nobody is watching em.
Spyrek
Old 07-10-2015 , 20:05   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by poel View Post
+1111111111111111111111111

Why we can't join a friend on community servers and why we can if he's playing on their official shit servers ?
Why we can't see IP server and informations when a friend is playing on community servers ? (Valve said years ago : its to protect against DDOS) Hum, well sry valve but when I check my server's list on my CSGO game, I can see IP.
Why they blocked maps to (first 64mb) then 150mb max ? (Valve said : its to prectect players against malicious files or some shit like that...) Hum, I played 6k hours on css, 3k hours on csgo, never seen any trojan when I downloaded maps.
Why after new update every 2 weeks they break features on our servers ? Same for sourcemod ? They can't send a message to sourcemod coder and say "Hey guys, we gonna update servers, we changed that : and that : , check your sourcemod plugins.. Kiss kiss <3" Ofc not !
Why we can't use free items like knives ? oh yes : 3,1m players on community servers using "free knives" by plugins (or free weapons skins) = 0$ for valve/csgo, so, ofc they have to block that. its better to buy skins on market 5% for valve + 10% csgo x 3,1M = EZ MONEY

And the list is very long...

Please, don't cry to me "Leave csgo if you not happy..." I will leave this shit soon, if they block 95% of features.
Fully agree, they are killing community servers, slowly but they do. They should fix the bugs and optimize 128 tick performance then talk with us about disabling plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
I'd rather not have the dev team waste their time trying to fix petty community plugins, and instead fix their match making animation bullet reg or optimize the game some more.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Of course that would happen, same with teleporting to gifts.
If you can gain something by making a mod/program, people will do it.
But this extends MUCH FARTHER than gameserver mods.
Let's talk about steam trade bots, and people making MILLIONS circumventing the market.
Let's talk about gambling sites for virtual items, also making tons of money.
Let's talk about steam inviter bots spamming group invites 24/7.
Let's talk about advertising companies paying out thousands per server op each month.
Oh, and let's not forget about hackers running rampant.

Valve, your problem isn't with mods, it's with your entire structure.
Either make a game and allow mods/community development, or don't.
You can't have it both ways.
Either disable your APIs and ADDONS support, or allow people to do what they want.
100% agree, they don't care about items stealing bots, gambling sites and other scam methods. The community servers are easier to kill and get more money for skins. If someone who won't be able to use !ws command will just buy all the skins on market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morell View Post
Someone seriously believes that the people will stop using the market because a server can get the skin you want? How much percent of players play in community servers, and how many in the competitive?

For example, you stop to buy a computer or internet connection for your home when you have it free at the public library?
+1

Noone told us how these plugins break the economy... Players are still unable to use those skins on official servers. That's more a "test before you buy" feature.

Blocking something only increases the popularity of this, i.e. limetorrents ;)

If they will make more sh**** operations and there will be too much paid features, players will start looking for free alternatives. Maybe non steam servers? Craked servers

apparently offer real item drops so it's a matter of time.

If you want disable skins, remove all skins from the game, there won't be any problem ;)
We will get the server performance like we had before the "skins" update, you won't have the problem with item stealing bots, gambling sites and bad server operators who are ruining the economy.
PacketLoss
Old 07-10-2015 , 20:24   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #79

I am looking at opening an "Open Source" alternative, anyone interested please cntact me at [email protected]

PacketLoss
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 07-10-2015 , 20:33   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketLoss View Post
Hey everyone,

There is a happy ending for Communities here. Everyone is missing the boat. We can make and use our own items freely, this is going to cause my community members to make hundreds of knife skins, and it will be perfectly fine for them to use their skins in our community server. Thanks Valve for spurring the creativity in our community. I mean why spend hundreds of dollars on a knife if you can just make your own for free?

PacketLoss

www.greatdividegaming.com
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GreatDivideCommunity
This makes no sense. Are you talking about clientside skins that only the user can see and no-one else can?

Or are you saying you're going to bug someone to get them to make a plugin for custom CS:GO weapons, get your "community" to design a bunch of shitty skins, then add them to the plugin as "custom skinned weapons"?

Because if it's clientside skins, your idea isn't actually your idea. People have been making their own skins since CS:GO came out. Just look on GameBanana.

If it's a custom weapon plugin, then good luck finding someone to code that for you.