Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

amx_searchcmd alias

Post New Thread Reply   

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-09-2020 , 22:52   Re: Aliases of Amx_searchcmd | Adminhelp.sma 01/09/2020
Reply With Quote #11

The changes that you made to this default plugin are so trivial that it doesn't really merit posting it as a plugin submission.

Also, the fact that it's so trivial, it's a bit insulting that you changed the author of the plugin to some random name. I generally add my name after the original to denote that I'm a secondary author and/or add a signifier to the version (e.g. "f1", "f2", ..., etc.). And, this is even if I've made more than just trivial changes.

This whole thing can basically be accomplished with a separate plugin using client_cmd() or amxclient_cmd() without needing to replace the original adminhelp plugin. Another benefit to this approach is that it's basically forwards compatible! In fact, I suspect that there is a generic aliasing plugin already out there that can do this already.

Code:
#include <amxmodx>

public plugin_init()
{
	register_concmd("myAlias", "cmdAlias")
}

public cmdAlias(id)
{
	new szString[64]
	read_argv(0, szString, charsmax(szString))
	client_cmd(id, "amx_searchcmd %s", szString)
}

Last edited by fysiks; 01-09-2020 at 22:55.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-12-2020 , 12:13   Re: Aliases of Amx_searchcmd | Adminhelp.sma 01/09/2020
Reply With Quote #12

Amx_searchcmd: aliasing aside, is incomplete on rolling release.
Plugin is here for feature enhancement feedback and help with the rolling releases’ unfinished language file.

Thread and script header: both show credits.
Everybody. Starting from Olo. Onto the AMXX Dev team, name-by-name. Individually. From the ‘translators’ to the ‘critics’. All parties. Have received credit.

The next iteration: trades defines for a command already.
The aliasing design intent was to take a load off not put one on.
Old 01-24-2020 , 06:12   Re: Admin Help PartSearch CMD Alias Arsenal
Reply With Quote #13

I have to agree with fysiks here.
I think it's a good idea to avoid posting modified default plugins(because when/if they get updated you would have to update your modified version and since people don't support plugins for an eternity we end up with broken stuff). If the modification is significant then the best course of action would be to make a pull request on github and try to get the changes in the official plugin.

However, in this particular case, you can avoid editing the default plugin as fysiks showed. This has the advantage of not breaking every time the official plugin is updated. But even then, it's a trivial plugin and I don't think it is enough to be considered for approval.

If you disagree with anything I said feel free to discuss, but for now, I will have to unapprove.

P.S: attach the plugin as a sma file, no need to copy/paste it inside the topic.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 01-24-2020 at 06:14.
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2020 , 08:02   Re: Admin Help PartSearch CMD Alias Arsenal
Reply With Quote #14

Why is my name in "pink"
Veteran Member
Old 01-25-2020 , 01:50   Re: Admin Help PartSearch CMD Alias Arsenal
Reply With Quote #15

Fair appraisal. When I shared I knew it belonged on GitHub if it cliqued here. The translations I suspect will approach completion faster here than there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_be View Post
Why is my name in "pink"
Napoleon_be it is a ROY G' Biv scheme. Your name landed on Magenta. This is so Why Am I Mr. Pink? - Reservoir Dogs!!

Old 06-09-2020 , 17:07   Re: AdminHelp PartSearch Command Aliasing
Reply With Quote #16

This alias plugin was remade to work on top of stock file. For those who prefer to type amx_searchcmd over a single character alias this plugin is not for you. The original version is still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I think it's a good idea to avoid posting modified default plugins(because when/if they get updated you would have to update your modified version and since people don't support plugins for an eternity we end up with broken stuff).
Agreed. Example of an Approved Plugin that modifies default plugin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny got his gun View Post
I made this modified version of antiflood.sma awhile back. Replace your old one.

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 06-17-2020 at 12:28.