Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

sahapro33
Old 02-24-2015 , 10:57   Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Is it possible?
Here are a couple of plugins SM.
removed

Last edited by asherkin; 02-24-2015 at 18:05. Reason: Removed binary, no source code.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 14:38   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

decompiling? by the way sorry but I don't trust this source, you better use the forum upload instead.
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 14:45   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

I've downloaded file from that source myself. It's legit winrar archive file with bunch of plugins.
It's around 30 mb tho, so it may be the reason why he didn't upload it as forum attachment perhaps?
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 14:54   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Well, I don't think it's ethical to decompile plugin (or whatever) if author didn't provide you source code (or whatever source).
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 15:39   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissLick View Post
Well, I don't think it's ethical to decompile plugin (or whatever) if author didn't provide you source code (or whatever source).
Well, SourceMod License requires you to provide source code along with compiled plugin. You can't provide without breaking license plugin if you don't give it's source code aswell
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 16:22   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Quote:
How is it not ethical if the author did not respect the liscense? Source must be provided if the plugin is shared. This avoid backdoors or gather private informations without the user to have knowledge of it and also for other reasons that I might have not mention.

Anyway here a nice tool https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=247653
There is also a other program that transform the compiled code into pseudo code but you will never have the original source, but it useful to get the logic out of there or see what it does quickly.

Last edited by Mathias.; 02-24-2015 at 16:29.
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2015 , 17:56   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rabbit View Post
How is it not ethical if the author did not respect the liscense? Source must be provided if the plugin is shared. This avoid backdoors or gather private informations without the user to have knowledge of it and also for other reasons that I might have not mention.
I guess that is for plugins on SM forum (or others), but there are other ways how to get a plugin.

eg. 1) I can create plugin for my server and my friend (also server master) can download that plugin and use it anywhere (here I even don't know he uses that plugin).

eg. 2) I can send my friend that plugin to use it on his private server.

That plugin would be "private", so no source code required.

Last edited by KissLick; 02-24-2015 at 17:57.
neatek
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-24-2015 , 18:03   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahapro33 View Post
Is it possible?
No, its now possible. If you want source code of these private plugins you need to find experienced scripter. Do not share not yours plugins, its bad for karma.

Also this category "Scripting" only for scripting, not for decompile or something like that.

Anyway this thread must be closed.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-24-2015 , 18:09   Re: Decoupling plug-ins from the server.

Quote:
2) I can send my friend that plugin to use it on his private server.
The SourceMod license requires you to provide your "friend" with access to the corresponding source code in this case. And they have to provide it to anyone they distributes the plugin to, and so on. Whether it's public or private doesn't change that fact, just the set of recipients. If you don't agree with the license, don't write SourceMod plugins.

That said, these are all stolen (from a russian guy that refuses to follow the license, so no tears will be shed), and will shortly find themselves blacklisted.