Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

File replacement

Post New Thread Reply   

BlackMilk
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2007 , 03:06   File replacement
Reply With Quote #1

I need a little bit of help on replacing custom files. Many good plugins use custom files which make it harder for me to use them cos obviously, they increase the amount of precached entities and the number of downloads, which can eventually eg. crash the server in specific maps or make a lot of people reluctant to still join it.

I want to know where I can find a full list or whatever of Half-Life files which I can use in those plugins so people don't have to download any new files for them.
For example a fireworks plugin which uses a custom rocket model, I saw the same plugin in a Sven Co-op server quite some time ago but they replaced it with a standard HL model, think it was a green rocket or something.

-----
Optionally you COULD make a plugin for it, like
amx_pluginfiles <pluginname> would give a full list of files used by the plugin and they'd be indicated if they're custom or from HL. After which you could then select a file to replace, be brought to a list of HL files, select that, and save. (with the only problem being that you can't view or listen to the files ingame but who cares)
------

In any case I'd like to know how I can replace those custom files of plugins with HL ones, but most importantly where all the Half-Life files are kept.
ConnorMcLeod
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2007 , 03:44   Re: File replacement
Reply With Quote #2

Hi,

You have to install gcfscape so you'll be able to open those files :

Steam/steamapps/ :

half-life.gcf
counter-strike.gcf
condition zero.gcf

I guess you run condition-zero so basically you can use files from those 3 cache files.
[IMG]http://img237.**************/img237/8448/gcfxo1.th.png[/IMG]

Then recompile your plugins with the new files.
M249-M4A1
I <3 Mac
Old 08-14-2007 , 04:32   Re: File replacement
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorr View Post
Hi,

You have to install gcfscape so you'll be able to open those files :

Steam/steamapps/ :

half-life.gcf
counter-strike.gcf
condition zero.gcf

I guess you run condition-zero so basically you can use files from those 3 cache files.
[IMG]http://img237.**************/img237/8448/gcfxo1.th.png[/IMG]

Then recompile your plugins with the new files.

Milk, make sure you don't actually copy the file out. Everyone would have those files already, just use the pathname to the file in your precahe. For example models/hgibs.mdl already exists by default, so in your code you would just do your normal mumbo-jumbo with the plugin_precache()
BlackMilk
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2007 , 15:42   Re: File replacement
Reply With Quote #4

That's what I meant xD
Yeah I'll look at replacing a plugin's file or two tomorrow, thank you both for the help and I'll post further here if necessary ^^