Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)

Post New Thread Reply   

kem008
Old 01-01-2014 , 08:49   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #591

it has a lot of bug if there are 2 zoey u will see only in max 4 player like in coop 3 player if u check it with the TAB
it would be better to fix it and add an option to use l4d and l4d2 charaters in each l4d 1/2 maps
Ellie
Old 01-13-2014 , 13:46   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanyss View Post
Francis seems to be working fine now. Zoey still crashes though but sb_add Zoey is working fine

Funny how Bill was the one originally not working. Then after a long time he was fixed but Zoey and Francis were b0rken in the process. And now, you're right Francis has been fixed. I modified the plugin to have every one as a full character, but Zoey as a model with Rochelle's voice. Needless to say players are very annoyed that they can't pick Zoey on the L4D2 campaigns. I would have rather have Bill been the one to remain broken due to him having no specific dialogue with the L4D2 survivors.

And speaking of dialogue, even though I have Zoey as a model only, guess what? We use the gear transfer plugin on our servers, and when you give Zoey a pipebomb/molotov/vomitjar she will talk with Zoey's voice and not Rochelle's. This got me thinking, why not force survivor set 1, where all the L4D1 survivors work fine and have the L4D2 survivors as models with their voices triggered with a complementary plugin (just like the gear transfer plugin does trigger the voices or how this plugin does). This way you have all 8 characters on any campaign and won't have any more further issues even if Valve brakes another survivor in survivor set 2 in the future. This would be a permanent fix. If anyone is willing to tackle such a complementary plugin I'd be more than willing to help with the necessary vocalizations for each character in given situations since I'm pretty familiar with them.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 01-13-2014 , 19:35   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #593

The idea sounds great.

I've often thought for years, It'd make more sense to work off of set 1, than to work off of set 2. Especially since the L4D1 survivors are more liked anyway.

That said.

The easiest fix.

Switch to linux, its what I did and some others.

None of the survivors are broken and you can play as all 8 voice/model on any campaign. Only drawback being the L4D1 campaigns do not have client side support for the L4D2 surv icons/arms. So all you'll get on those campaigns is model/voice only.

Last edited by Sev; 01-13-2014 at 19:36.
Ellie
Old 01-14-2014 , 00:12   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #594

True, but not everyone has Linux, or even knows how to use it. I'm guessing the Windows version tries to load something else (aside from the character) on the offset for Zoey which is what is causing the server to crash because it's invalid. And whatever that is, it isn't loaded on the Linux version which is why all characters work fine there.

But why would the client not have support for the L4D2 survivor icons/arms in the L4D1 maps when those files are already in the game? Why can't you use a plugin to switch to those too just like the world model?
DeathChaos25
Old 01-24-2014 , 19:43   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #595

I think there could be a workaround to L4D2 survivors not being usable in L4D1 camapigns.

If you the Bots a L4D2 model via this PLugin, when they pick up a Grenade or a Health Kit, they will actually talk using the voice corresponding to their Model.

I.E, if I have a bot as using Bill, but his character model is Nick, when Said Bot picks up a Health Pack or Grenade, he will Talk as Nick instead of Bill.

Maybe a workaround could be made so that the plugin forces a voice "set" that corresponds to the players Model and not the actual Character?
Ellie
Old 01-25-2014 , 00:46   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #596

That's exactly what I mentioned just 3 posts above you
Sparktacus
Old 01-28-2014 , 00:17   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #597

mi123645 : Last Activity: 27-11-12 06:44

We can dream for an update.

Last edited by Sparktacus; 01-28-2014 at 00:20.
DeathChaos25
Old 01-30-2014 , 18:19   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktacus View Post
mi123645 : Last Activity: 27-11-12 06:44

We can dream for an update.
Maybe we could try contacting Silvers? (The author of the Gear Transfer Plugin)

Gear Transfer is what somehow causes this, maybe someone talented enough could look at the source, see what causes the survivor to speak as their model instead of actual character, and be able to force the voice "set" as the one used by the model?
Ellie
Old 01-31-2014 , 13:08   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #599

Even if mi123645 was still active here, I doubt he would do the whole voice thing. The reason being is because you'd have to assign each said voice files for each survivor, and that would take a LONG time since there are thousands of voices for the survivors combined.
DeathChaos25
Old 02-08-2014 , 11:09   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #600

Well, if anyone needs it, here's a rather crappy modification of csm_b that I made for my server that only allows Zoey as a Model when playing on L4D2 campaigns. since she's the only one that no longer seems to work, It's a shame since she's my favorite out of the original 4 :/

l4dcsm_b.smx
l4dcsm_b.sp