12% 

[Mapping] All about mapping

Post New Thread Reply   

Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 03-06-2016 , 20:30   [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #1

So i bet im not the only one around here having a passion for mapping

I opened this topic so we can share projects, opinions, tips and tricks about mapping

Here is a project im working on, i got myself into the ambition of creating 20 zombie plague maps that would cause no FPS loss regardless of the number of players ( as we know 32/32 on a zombie server is FPS kill, especialy if it is not configured correctly )

The goal is to create a map as optimized as possible, to not cause any sort of FPS drops

1. No prefabs ( the vehicles in the picture are created from blocks )
2. A very low amount of wpoly ( we have only 172 at the moment even tho the map isn't fully optimized yet, while normal maps have at least 600 )
3. Creating an ingenious map layout to avoid having 32/32 players rendered at the same time ( we have 3 rooms at the moment, while players are not able in any way to have rendered more than one at a time regardless of the position on the map )

Picture:

Last edited by Depresie; 03-07-2016 at 10:15.
SkumTomteN
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2016 , 00:21   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #2

Personally, i like detailed maps with low model count. and a few sounds for ambience.

I also like when you arent so restricted to stay on the ground,its better when you can jump up on roofs/boxes etc. (for zombie mods).

Easter eggs are always fun too

Good luck with your project.
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2016 , 10:14   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #3

No models were used in this map they are all done in hammer from blocks
Right now i just finished making the layout and some buildings, im looking forward to adding boxes, garages, containers and stuff for jumping while keeping them fit the theme of the map

These days if you guys would like, i can upload here my wads.. about 16k Textures, all converted to 240x size for saving wpoly
Old 03-08-2016 , 09:15   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #4

Just dont do oversized stairs/windows/doors... i hate this

good job doing it without models (didnt even notice ).

You could check out resources from cs online, alot of wads/models/sound
alencore
Old 03-10-2016 , 06:45   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #5

Agree on post above me. Most HL or CS maps are out of scale to the players world size like some maps makes you feel like your a freakin midget LOL!

CS_Mari is one finely made map that made sure everything are perfectly proportional to the players.

Rat maps are perfect to but in their own wacky way as the mappers here probably got sick and tired of
trying to proportionate everything to the players view so why not just make things truly huge making a a player, rat like ...LOL!
Old 03-11-2016 , 00:56   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #6

Im working on my first CSGO map. I have it all sealed no leaks and i have a few walls up, the sky is done, and i have the lighting installed. But im curious if there is an entity list that i can review so i can find entities better. I am looking for cars, wagons, some old west stuff if they have it, maybe an old model T, water, fountains.

Do i have to just scroll page by page or is there an online list i can find the names?

UPDATE: I found a few lists via google but most of them dont have pics or enough description.

Last edited by durangod; 03-11-2016 at 01:12.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-11-2016 , 17:30   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depresie View Post
3. Creating an ingenious map layout to avoid having 32/32 players rendered at the same time ( we have 3 rooms at the moment, while players are not able in any way to have rendered more than one at a time regardless of the position on the map )
I'm only familiar with Source mapping... does GoldSrc not have Areaportals or is this a challenge to create a map without using them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangod View Post
Im working on my first CSGO map. I have it all sealed no leaks and i have a few walls up, the sky is done, and i have the lighting installed. But im curious if there is an entity list that i can review so i can find entities better. I am looking for cars, wagons, some old west stuff if they have it, maybe an old model T, water, fountains.

Do i have to just scroll page by page or is there an online list i can find the names?

UPDATE: I found a few lists via google but most of them dont have pics or enough description.
CS:GO's Author Tools should install the Half-Life 2 Model Viewer (hlmv.exe), which you can use to browse models by directory.

You're not restricted to the models in the game. You can download models from a third-party source and use them in your map. While you're testing the map, you should keep them in the server's directory structure.

Before you create a release for your map, you should use PakRat or BSPZip to put the models inside the compiled map file. Note that you should do this after building cubemaps (both LDR and HDR) through the game itself.

Side note: I'm not really a mapper, I just picked up some things when I was looking into it before.
Veteran Member
Old 03-11-2016 , 19:44   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #8

That's true, sometimes maps feel oversized, due to texture scalling, but in cases like zombie plague, it is absolutely needed... i rather feel a little like a midget than play with 30 fps

Also, the map have been updated further more, its a WIP, i now switched to modeling, for couple days

Im working on a big project which involves alot of scripting, modeling, texturing and mapping, and im switching betwen them every couple days

I'll be back on mapping the next week and i will post new pics

Last edited by Depresie; 03-11-2016 at 19:48.
durangod
Old 03-12-2016 , 02:16   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #9

@powerlord lol i have no clue what half of that means... But thank goodness for google.. ;)
Old 03-12-2016 , 05:01   Re: [Mapping] All about mapping
Reply With Quote #10

I am trying to use this set of stairs

models/props_shacks/prop_wood_stair_rht.mdl

I want my player to be able to walk up them. I set them as dynamic but the player just walks right thru the whole thing instead of walking up them.

Whats the secret, static, physics, how do i get the player to go up the stairs...

thanks

Last edited by durangod; 03-12-2016 at 05:01.