Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

noob needs help

Post New Thread Reply   

TGW_Requiem
Old 08-09-2010 , 12:15   noob needs help
Reply With Quote #1

I don't have a lot of programming knowledge. I only know some basics of C++ and html. I am try to learn sourcepawn to make some plugins for both my TF2 server and Golden Eye: Source server. I am currently going through the Sourcemod develpment tutorials but I am having a hard time understanding it.

If anyone is interested in personally helping me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Contact information:
xfire: Beatricelol
Steam: Beatrice_lolz
Monkeys
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2010 , 12:23   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #2

I don't really have the right timeframes available to help you personally, but if you know C++, you shouldn't have too much problems with Sourcepawn.

Some things you should know:
The basic structure is the same. When starting out, you'll find that most things are exactly the same in both languages.

But also know that Sourcepawn is a LOT more basic than C++. You'll notice that a lot of handy stuff in C++ just isn't available in Sourcepawn, leaving you to figure out a workaround.

Incase you haven't already, the AlliedModders wiki's Introduction to Sourcepawn is a must read.
And the Sourcemod API is everything you need to know the sourcemod specific commands.

When you know your basic sourcepawn structures, create your first plugin. Or build ontop of an existing one and add small features. It really depends on what kind of coder you are.
or he's gonna feed all night.
TGW_Requiem
Old 08-09-2010 , 14:28   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #3

thanks for your input. My knowledge of C++ is not the greatest as I do not know a lot about arrays and loops, which I see a lot of when I look at some plugins. I have also read the introduction already but am still not 100%. I will keep at the reading and see if something clicks.
Monkeys
Veteran Member
Old 08-09-2010 , 17:24   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGW_Requiem View Post
thanks for your input. My knowledge of C++ is not the greatest as I do not know a lot about arrays and loops, which I see a lot of when I look at some plugins. I have also read the introduction already but am still not 100%. I will keep at the reading and see if something clicks.
I noticed that most of the persistent coders/successful ones tend to learn from others at first. So when you're done reading the tutorials, just go ahead and try something. Anything would do.
If you happen to get stuck at some point, look for a similar existing plugin and try to find out why they did certain things, or what caused you to get stuck.
If you can't figure it out, there's this forum.
TGW_Requiem
Old 08-09-2010 , 23:31   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #5

I have decided to read up on more C++ because I don't know a lot about functions and I realized that are a big part in sourcepawn and once I feel comfortable with that, then I will move back onto reading sourcepawn.
TGW_Requiem
Old 08-14-2010 , 13:05   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #6

Well I am having some difficulty with something. I was wondering how to go about making a change to an rcon command without going throught Rcon. I would like to create a vote system for two command for GoldenEye:source that can only be executed through Rcon.

ge_weaponset and ge_gameplay.

any ideas people?
Monkeys
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2010 , 13:25   Re: noob needs help
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGW_Requiem View Post
Well I am having some difficulty with something. I was wondering how to go about making a change to an rcon command without going throught Rcon. I would like to create a vote system for two command for GoldenEye:source that can only be executed through Rcon.

ge_weaponset and ge_gameplay.

any ideas people?
ServerCommand("command");