Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

[L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server

Post New Thread Reply   

Toranks
Old 05-15-2022 , 10:47   [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #1

I finally managed to install a dedicated server and port all the plugins that I used in listenserver, but there are things that I still don't understand to know how to use it in the same way that I used to do things before.
  • Some client-sided cvars like
    r_flashlightmuzzleflash
    r_flashlightmuzzleflashfov
    cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist

with "launcher" or "cheat" label can be recognized on client but not on server, and can't be changed even with sm_cvar in neither of the two.

On client:
    Code:
    ] cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist" = "3000"
     client cheat
     - Max distance from the camera at which things will be rendered for shadows
    ] sm_cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
    [SM] No se encontrá cvar: cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    ] cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
    Can't use cheat cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    On server:
    Code:
    Unknown command "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist"
    sm_cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    [SM] Unable to find cvar: cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist
    Is there a way to change these cvars ON MID-GAME, as I did before with listenserver on dedicated?

I'm using FATONY [ANY] Cheats (before with listenserver and now with dedicated): https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=195037
    I'm admin and in theory everything works for me, as things like sm_noclip
    I can change others similar cvars as cl_glow_survivor_r on client-side at any time
  • Before, I loaded my cvars into a file generated by Left 4 Bots, a workshop mod. I use this mod on the server and it works perfectly, I can give orders to the bots, and all its functionalities, except it doesn't load all the cvars.
    Where do I have to load them? On server.cfg? Will I get the same result, even with hidden or client-sided cvars?
    For example this cvars doesn't work on server.cfg, show this on server console:
    Code:
    Unknown command "r_flashlightmuzzleflash"
    Unknown command "r_flashlightmuzzleflashfov"
    r_flashlightmuzzleflash* doesn't work neither with Left4bots method and server.cfg method on dedicated, but works before on my listen server

Thanks for all the help you can offer me!

Last edited by Toranks; 05-15-2022 at 13:49.
Toranks
Old 05-15-2022 , 18:18   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranks View Post
[LIST]
Some client-sided cvars like
r_flashlightmuzzleflash
r_flashlightmuzzleflashfov

with "launcher" or "cheat" label can be recognized on client but not on server, and can't be changed even with sm_cvar in neither of the two.

Is there a way to change these cvars ON MID-GAME, as I did before with listenserver on dedicated?
I have discovered a way. I create the server as insecure, and my listen server also with sourcemod active and insecure. I connect to the server and I will be able to do this on the client console:

Code:
] cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
Can't use cheat cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
] sm_cvar cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist 0
[SM] Changed cvar "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist" to "0".
L 05/16/2022 - 00:15:10: [base\basecommands.smx] "Console<0><Console><Console>" changed cvar (cvar "cl_max_shadow_renderable_dist") (value "0")
But I think it's a bit of a sloppy way. Is there a cleaner way without creating an insecure server?
Toranks
Old 05-15-2022 , 18:23   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
S̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶e̶c̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶

Edit: now again doesn't work. I have no idea what happens

https://crash.limetech.org/wm2eddwkjwui
https://crash.limetech.org/4l4fsn4rdgwa

If i start the server with (for example)
Code:
"D:\Left 4 Dead 2\SRCDS\l4d2\srcds.exe" -console -insecure -game left4dead2 -port 27016 +hostname "Modded by Toranks" +map cullera_coop_vs +maxplayers 4 +sv_lan 0
It works.
But when I change the map with map or changelevel, server crashes

SOLVED: Using Dragokas [L4D1 & L4D2] Map changer with rating system
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=311161

Last edited by Toranks; 05-15-2022 at 20:19.
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 05-15-2022 , 18:33   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #4

In listen server you can do this kind of command cause of "insecure" parameter, but on dedicated won't be able.
From what I remember this was pushed by Valve back 2018
Old 05-15-2022 , 23:27   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #5

For now I'm going to stay with an insecure server in general, it's easier for me to customize everything. Although now your autoshoot mod gives me problems and I think it has to do with tickrates and I still have to investigate what that is and how it works...

I can see the 'director_debug 1' info text on any way with a dedicated server? Is very useful for me to test new custom maps or see many values
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2022 , 11:27   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #6

...as always, SourceMod not support listen server.
Keep that in mind when you make topics and clarify that.
Toranks
Old 05-17-2022 , 11:35   Re: [L4D2] Some questions starting a dedicated server
Reply With Quote #7

This is a dedicated server, the only mention I have made of the listenserver is that it is what I used before and it's where I've learned to use these things.

PD:
I'm starting to think that there is no way to allow certain things playing on a server without the help of a listenserver with sourcemod or "sv_cheats 1". For example, more powerful flashlights, change number of active ragdolls at same time, or deactivate muzzleflashes when muzzle flash dynamic lights plugin is active.
Maybe that's why you mentioned that listenserver aren't supported? Because the answer to my questions doesn't apply to a server?
If so, I'll investigate on my own, no problem. But I wanted to make sure which features are allowed when connecting to a server and which are not. My brother, for example, doesn't use sourcemod, so in order to increase the power of his flashlights while playing on my dedicated server, he had to activate sv_cheats 1. What I do is start the listenserver first, connect to the server, and use sm_cvar locally.

Last edited by Toranks; 05-18-2022 at 02:46.