Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SourceTimer

Post New Thread Reply   

OSWO
Old 08-29-2019 , 09:27   SourceTimer
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I'm here to present an Alpha stage release working somewhat version of SourceTimer.
https://github.com/OSCAR-WOS/SourceTimer

Another timer yes.

I'm posting this here since I was looking to release this on the 30th, I've gotten as close to it as I can, but will be very unlikely I will be able to put in the same time as I have over the past weeks.

Pros
All records are saved
CP segments show best run time rather than time of your fastest record

Cons
Very unoptimized currently, over 80k records on a map will start causing issues...

I've tried my best to optimize every single action from sql to arraylist, but in-order to fix massive record I have to come back with a new approach.

Also since https://github.com/alliedmodders/sou...8db60b1ee2b53e is still yet not implemented in dev build most functions utilize the "hotfix" method of having method for the struct and parsing a variable from the main function to it to return data from vectors etc. All of it needs to be re-wrote to work with the new fix.

This is a drag-drop plugin, simply add a database.cfg for "sourcetimer" and you'll be able to run it immediately.

I'm also unable to having testors on a scale of more than one so any erros or issues please let me know, this is not to be on a production server unless you want to end up with errors some day into the future.

I've had a blast of relearning SP and apply new features implemented, feel free to yoink anything you like.

Commands:
sm_admin, sm_zone, sm_addzone, sm_editzone, sm_deletezone, sm_r

Spoiler

edit:
#define ARRAYLIST_BUFFER_SIZE 8

change to a higher value if you server can support it! recommended: 32

Last edited by OSWO; 08-29-2019 at 09:33.
OSWO
Old 10-26-2019 , 17:49   Re: SourceTimer
Reply With Quote #2

Hello all,

I have taken some time off, during this period I have alot of time to contemplate where I was going with this project. I have thought of many new methods during this time too. I will begin to continue work on this project again, although I cannot handle such a big project by myself.

Therefore I am asking anyone who is atleast knowledgeable in SP, and would like to contribute to the project to come forward and help me. Currently I have to compete with momentum-mod, which is a new game which hopes to solve most of the Timer problems due to it begin built on the source-engine rather than through SM.

Currently the plugin sit inside one plugin, and has no natives (third-party plugin support). I am going to be moving the project towards a more familiar (timer-core, timer-sql, timer-etc...) setup. I strongly am not for this, but for the sakes of having third-party support this is necessary. I currently am in dire need of anyone who is very familiar of creating natives to contact me. The concept seems simple, but I can easily get lost within the tree of functions.

The roadmap currently stands at this: global release mar 2020.

I have still yet to decide how I will handle global. There are two proposed ways:
KZTimer way, Self-Host way.

KZTimer in-corporates a global-database in which whitelisted servers can have player records uploaded to their db, and interactions are handled through one entity.

Self-Host way would allow individual users to create their own database, which they can decide which servers are added onto their "global" list.

For example: Community A would host their global-db. Community B & C can use that same database along with Player A / B / C too (lan servers). This would create mini-clusters of records, however there is still disparation. This would eradicate the need for me to host anything, and the upkeep would fall onto the community owners.

All queries to the global-db will be through PHP's POST/GET requests etc, which the cluster owner would have to self-host. I debated using sockets too, but due to the lack of documentation I can't seem to find a good way to learn and in-corporate it.

The basics of a timer is pretty simple record a time from a to b its not a hard concept and many people have done something similar. The issue is all these timers are pretty much the same thing, there is no new features which can promote a healthy playerbase inside the timer itself. Most servers running timers rely on the servers reputation, playerbase and other features to sustain itself. Most commits are just bug fixes. I have a plethera of features yet to be featured in timers, and would definietly like to work with others.

As stated before the timer is in a use-able state right now, but as a bare-bones A-B recorder. Re-writing it to 1.10 features, along with allow native support is the hard part right now. As-soon as this is completed, it's a clear road to adding new features at any point. The re-write can provide a very strong foundation.