Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[Website] Function Reference

Post New Thread Reply   

Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-23-2010 , 01:56   [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #1

I've noticed the the front page of the AMX Mod X website has a reference for functions, under the help area. Besides functions missing, there some more obscure functions are missing examples, and most functions are missing information on where you should use them and best practices.

I was wondering is there anyway we, the users, can update this information and have it reflected on the website?

I would also like a style update for the function reference and a reorganization, and I really think it's time that happened.

A lot can be learned from the PHP documentation, and I hope you take some of their ideas under advisement.

Also, a note about function deprecation would be nice, and what function they where replaced by, not to mention when the function was introduced into the AMX Mod X code base.
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-23-2010 , 08:46   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #2

Right now, my favorite of how not to write documentation would be the register_concmd function. It's example is weak, at best.

Where is the receiving functions code? It does not even tell you how to read arguments from the console command! Lots of these functions are missing some very basic information. I'm only getting half the story on this one ...
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2010 , 11:55   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #3

I second Dygear's request. Some of the functions and examples are quite strange, there are some outdated ones and some that are missing.

Allowing users to edit and neaten up the functions would allow for a whole new flood of new users understanding more complex things and what not.
Old 01-23-2010, 15:03
fysiks
This message has been deleted by fysiks. Reason: nevermind
Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-23-2010 , 16:01   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #4

Learn one, do one, teach one, all in one .
It's good for getting to know the functions when you add the the function information yourself, because you have to learn about it, and use it, so you can teach it!
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2010 , 16:34   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #5

Perhaps it would be too much work, but I'd suggest linking it to this website and making editing only available to a certain rank, like Veteran Members, or something?

Just my 2 cents, seems like it would be a bit of work though.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 01-23-2010 , 21:42   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #6

I'm not completely sure, but I believe only members of the AMXX Team and AMXX Plugin Approvers groups can edit the stuff (AMXX Moderators may be able to as well, I don't recall ever trying until I became an approver). I can see reasons why Bail made it that way and I would personally rather see it stay the way it is. That is mostly because there are a lot of idiots around here that would screw up the docs just because they can.

Also, The function documentation isn't supposed to include every little bit of information you can put in there. There is a reason why the Comments section is there (unless it is still disabled because of all the spam it got). Take a look at SourceMod's "Function Wiki" for RegConsoleCmd (register_concmd's counterpart), http://docs.sourcemod.net/api/index....d=show&id=470&. There is a wiki for a reason, to show complete examples and other usefull information.

Now, I have offered this before (and still do), though nobody has taken me up on the offer yet. If you see something on the funcwiki that needs to be changed, PM me the changes and I will make them, as long as they make sense.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
wrecked_
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2010 , 01:40   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #7

I'll be sure to message you a list of functions that I find have issues with ( over a course of time ) in the near future.

But, While it is true that some people may or may not tamper with the correct function listings, I'd think that if a user was a veteran member ( 500+ posts, I believe ) would be a little more dedicated to the community and helpful, as 500 posts is quite a difficult thing to achieve. While I'm not going to sit here and see to it that this happens, I just feel it would provide for a relief from people constantly posting simple flaws in the Scripting Help section that could be solved with a little example being thrown into the funcwiki.

Thanks for your reply and concerns.
Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-01-2010 , 01:37   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Take a look at SourceMod's "Function Wiki" for RegConsoleCmd (register_concmd's counterpart), http://docs.sourcemod.net/api/index....d=show&id=470&. There is a wiki for a reason, to show complete examples and other usefull information.
Ah, but the problem is with AMX Mod X's functions, not SourceMods (Although, I must say, I've not really gone over SourceMods function list ... as I don't use it ... yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Now, I have offered this before (and still do), though nobody has taken me up on the offer yet. If you see something on the funcwiki that needs to be changed, PM me the changes and I will make them, as long as they make sense.
I want to do more then just add to the AMX Mod X function refrence that's on the site, I want to make it better as a whole. This would include some new markup for the functions, and indeed a much needed overhaul of the information on there.

You should be able to use a function biased solely on the information presented within the site, and yet that is not currently possible with all of the functions. I find that to be quite frankly, inadequate on many levels. The function reference should be the ONLY place I need to go in order to learn how to use a function for the first time.

As a community this should of been addressed early on, the fact that functions are still missing, should of been addressed as soon as they where place into a production environment. I'm slightly disappointed, but also happy that the community has picked up the slack by answering the questions that could of been fixed with proper documentation.
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 02-01-2010 , 10:44   Re: [Website] Function Reference
Reply With Quote #9

If you want proper documentation, check the include files. The function wiki was put into place as a convenience, I don't see that it is required for operation of this site. While I do use it, it is mostly because I am being lazy to figure out which include file the function is in. As we have told everyone else who wants to learn about scripting and make plugins, the best possible tutorial is the trial and error method. You can find out lots of information by searching the forums for tutorials and looking at existing plugins. There should not be only 1 place to go for function reference but multiple places, regardless if it is your first time to use the function or not.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).