Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)

Post New Thread Reply   

Kenny8U
Old 05-03-2010 , 16:31   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny8U View Post
We can’t even attach our own made ‘8U Admin Fez’ to our admin players. We created this hat so people could easily identify our admin if they had any questions, problems or wanted help whilst on the server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
That is a cool looking hat and great idea. It seems that most of the troublesome players wait for admins to leave the server before acting out. The hat idea is a proactive one though. Like having a police officer living on your block with the squad car always around.
Thanks for the kind comments dude, we too believe this has been a deterrent for trouble making. We only had to permanently banned less than a 12 people from our server, since we had it about 8-9 months ago. Funny enough we originally planned it to be a flashing light like to see on top of police car, but we couldn't work out how to do that. Would of be awesome though.

Valve can take all my hats away, as long I had one I wouldn't care less.

Last edited by Kenny8U; 05-03-2010 at 16:44.
HoundDawg
Old 05-03-2010 , 16:48   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny8U View Post
...Funny enough we originally planned it to be a flashing light like to see on top of police car, but we couldn't work out how to do that. Would of be awesome though. ...
I believe it would require attaching a few more entities to the hat (e.g. 1x phys_motor and 2x point_spotlight w/o dynamic light). TBH, I don't think the extra light is necessary as it would just cause unnecessary lag for players with an admin in LOS.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-03-2010 , 18:05   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #53

You would probably be able to use the particle system thats used on the bomb carts and you could probably trigger this without an additional entity.
Mecha the Slag
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2010 , 01:21   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #54

also the present tf2ware is completely unaffected by this, it bugs me a bit that you listed it without my awareness

although it does limit me to exclude microgames that could involve attachment (few that i had in mind)

Last edited by Mecha the Slag; 05-04-2010 at 01:24.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-04-2010 , 01:43   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
also the present tf2ware is completely unaffected by this, it bugs me a bit that you listed it without my awareness

although it does limit me to exclude microgames that could involve attachment (few that i had in mind)
Oh, I heard people were having problems with it. I've removed it from the list.

Edit: added steam group as well.

Last edited by voogru; 05-04-2010 at 04:01.
HoundDawg
Old 05-04-2010 , 12:51   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #56

Wow... I had no idea how divided the custom map and custom mod communities were. 2 threads regarding this issue have been quickly closed over on TF2Maps.net, which I've lost total respect for.

I can't believe the total arrogance and self-indulgence in the people there. Although, many are creative mappers, they can't seem to spark enough intelligence and vision to see how this issue affects them now and in the future.

On a more positive note... 1258 signatures! If anyone has any news from Valve regarding this issue, please post it here.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2010 , 13:29   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #57

I only visit the maps forum there, its the only thing worth looking at :/

Mecha the Slag
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2010 , 13:50   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #58

Naturally we'll be more concerned as it hits us directly

if Valve removed some map-specific feature, I doubt any of us would comprehend the consequences of it
Old 05-04-2010 , 13:58   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
Naturally we'll be more concerned as it hits us directly

if Valve removed some map-specific feature, I doubt any of us would comprehend the consequences of it
Unfortunately, the difference is... they literally dislike/hate custom mods. It seems most favor "vanilla" servers.

They also are very adamant in that custom maps are in a completely different class than custom mods... in a very arrogant, holier than thou attitude. They're so narrow focused on their own tree, they don't seem to have any comprehension that they're in a forest. Unfortunately, it's just a tarnish on the entire community as a whole.

I, myself, am a custom mapper, which prefers making "fun" type maps like the many I've made for voogru's Dodgeball gameplay mode. I used to respect the TF2Maps.net community... but after this... it'll be hard to even visit them at all in the future.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-04-2010 , 17:06   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
Unfortunately, the difference is... they literally dislike/hate custom mods. It seems most favor "vanilla" servers.

They also are very adamant in that custom maps are in a completely different class than custom mods... in a very arrogant, holier than thou attitude. They're so narrow focused on their own tree, they don't seem to have any comprehension that they're in a forest. Unfortunately, it's just a tarnish on the entire community as a whole.

I, myself, am a custom mapper, which prefers making "fun" type maps like the many I've made for voogru's Dodgeball gameplay mode. I used to respect the TF2Maps.net community... but after this... it'll be hard to even visit them at all in the future.
The owner of the website, FYI, was extremely friendly and supportive. The community response shocked us both.

The mistake I made there was I should have kept "hats" out of it and just talked attachments.