Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?

Post New Thread Reply   

Whenn
Old 11-15-2010 , 09:47   Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #1

Does HLTV record voice chat as well? I don't see any players talking while watching my HLTV demos. The server is with sv_alltalk 1 both when I'm recording and both when I'm using the video.

This seems more like a feature than a bug (being able to spec the game without hearing both teams voice chat) but is there any way to record the voice chat as well with the HLTV?

edit: found this http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=18&threadid=657
still doesnt help me.

Last edited by Whenn; 11-15-2010 at 10:19.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-15-2010 , 18:46   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #2

If sv_alltalk is 1 then HLTV does record voices. If not then it won't.

A major bug in HLTV is that it does not communicate the voice codec that the server is using (as far as I can tell from my solution). However, you should hear garbbled sounds when people talk.

My solution requires that you know the voice codec and voice quality of the game server. I put those two settings in my server.cfg (for my listen server, same folder as config.cfg) then I start a listen server on whatever map, doesn't matter. After the map has loaded/precached then you can disconnect. Now, play your demo and you should hear the voices clearly if there is anyone talking (and sv_alltalk is 1).

This works everytime for me in DOD and shouldn't be much different in CS unless the CS updated screwed with HLTV functionality.
Old 11-15-2010 , 20:35   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks
My solution requires that you know the voice codec and voice quality of the game server. I put those two settings in my server.cfg (for my listen server, same folder as config.cfg) then I start a listen server on whatever map, doesn't matter. After the map has loaded/precached then you can disconnect. Now, play your demo and you should hear the voices clearly if there is anyone talking (and sv_alltalk is 1).
Interesting. I've wondered if there was a fix to the garbled voices.
Whenn
Old 11-17-2010 , 06:28   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
If sv_alltalk is 1 then HLTV does record voices. If not then it won't.

A major bug in HLTV is that it does not communicate the voice codec that the server is using (as far as I can tell from my solution). However, you should hear garbbled sounds when people talk.

This works everytime for me in DOD and shouldn't be much different in CS unless the CS updated screwed with HLTV functionality.
I think the update screwed it up.. shit.. using sv_alltalk 1, sv_voicequalty 3 and codec miles on both the recorded server and the replaying server and not getting a voice/garbled sounds/talking indicator or anything..

I'm trying to shoot a short film and this could potentially save me a camera man + a shit load of time and planning.

Will you please try to record a hltv video of a cs server with people talking so I can confirm I'm not doing something wrong and it's an hltv update problem?
There'll be 5$ paypal for you in it. And a big thank you

edit: if it is an hltv problem is there any way to get an outdated version of hltv?

Last edited by Whenn; 11-17-2010 at 06:34.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2010 , 10:40   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #5

I don't have any way of getting on an HLTV that players are talking on with sv_alltalk 1 unless you find one that allows random proxies to join that I can connect my HLTV to.
Old 11-17-2010 , 22:29   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #6

Can't you just open a listen server and connect to it using the HLTV, start a recording and alt tab to your server and say a few lines?
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-18-2010 , 00:55   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenn View Post
Can't you just open a listen server and connect to it using the HLTV, start a recording and alt tab to your server and say a few lines?
I don't use listen servers. I guess I could start my HLDS and connect HLTV and then join and start talking. But I don't feel like it ATM. Maybe later .
Old 11-18-2010 , 01:03   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I don't use listen servers. I guess I could start my HLDS and connect HLTV and then join and start talking. But I don't feel like it ATM. Maybe later .
You have no idea what it'd mean to me D: I need to know if it's broken or if I'm doing something wrong so I can get my project moving forward, if you can will yourself to try and make this work I'll give you 10$ paypal :d help a brother out
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-18-2010 , 01:21   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #9

Tested. HLDS + HLTV on the same computer and client on a different computer all on LAN. Recorded demo via HLTV and I could hear my voice when I played back the demo. So, it should work like normal. You may need to disable everything (start with metamod IMO) and see if when you record a demo you can hear voices.

Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2010 , 01:46   Re: Can't hear voice chat in HLTV?
Reply With Quote #10

Okay I just solved it. What you did is exactly what I've always done, but this time I tried opening a listen server and being spec with sv_alltalk 1 while the other computer was ct and talking. I couldn't hear him until I used sv_restart 1.

Then I tested with HLTV and a dedicated server and true enough I had to use sv_restart 1 before alltalk took effect. I don't know if this is a known bug or not but I'm happy I managed to get it working. Thanks. PM me ur paypal address if u want the 10 bux.