Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK View Post
Try the more lenient Server rates i posted previously

sv_minrate 10000
sv_maxrate 25000
sv_mincmdrate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 30

Can you also paste your srcds command-line please.

Are you getting lots of High Pingers connecting to the Server?

Try installing a high Ping kicker and set it to no more than 150ms. This one is good.

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=701420

Any particular reason why you are running sv_lan "1" ?

sv_lan 1, will stop internet players from joining.

Are you playing the game on the same machine as you are running the Server?

If you want to have internet players joining change it to sv_lan 0 and set the region sv_region "value" in the server.cfg

eastcoast - sv_region 0
westcoast - sv_region 1
south america - sv_region 2
europe - sv_region 3
asia - sv_region 4
australia - sv_region 5
middle east - sv_region 6
africa - sv_region 7
world - sv_region 255

- Lob (UK)
I'm actually using Garena to host.So its only lan actually.I did try the rates that you stated and those were the results.All those who connect to my server are low pingers as they are all from my country and have good connections.Yes I'm playing via the game file when the srcds.exe is running.When the "Lag" wave arrives EVERYONE except me will have their pings rise to 1.6k or so gradually.

Last edited by xerealis; 02-09-2010 at 09:11.
xerealis
Old 02-09-2010 , 09:02   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivailosp View Post
your uplink is 100Mbit/s, so 1% = 1Mbit/s
I'm actually quite noob at this...1Mbit/s is how much compared to 8mbps?
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2010 , 09:12   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerealis View Post
Yes I'm playing via the game file when the srcds.exe is running.
L4D2 Client itself requires Minimum - Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz and recommended Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

Your machine is Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz which meets the recommended Client specs.

However, on the same machine you are also running the srcds Server which only runs on 1 Core as srcds does not have multi core support to date so your srcds is running on a 2.4 Core.

You will struggle running a L4D2 server and playing the L4D2 game itself at the same time on that machine.

You could try disabling Multi Core support on your Client so it does not draw from all Cores but it might not make any difference.

- Lob (UK)
xerealis
Old 02-09-2010 , 09:18   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
L4D2 Client itself requires Minimum - Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz and recommended Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

Your machine is Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz which meets the recommended Client specs.

However, on the same machine you are also running the srcds Server which only runs on 1 Core as srcds does not have multi core support to date so your srcds is running on a 2.4 Core.

You will struggle running a L4D2 server and playing the L4D2 game itself at the same time on that machine.

You could try disabling Multi Core support on your Client so it does not draw from all Cores but it might not make any difference.

- Lob (UK)
Hmmm,but even when I am not running the game.The ping problem is still there...as in when only the server is on,I don't suffer from any gaming lag or anything,just the ping goes very high once in a while....Any other suggestions or solutions?

Last edited by xerealis; 02-09-2010 at 09:21.
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2010 , 10:56   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Hmmm,but even when I am not running the game.The ping problem is still there...as in when only the server is on,I don't suffer from any gaming lag or anything,just the ping goes very high once in a while....Any other suggestions or solutions?
Like i said, your srcds is only running on a single 2.4 Core. Multithreading is not supported. When you look at it this way, your CPU speed per Core is probably underpowered for the L4D2 minimum requirements which is probably what is causing the problem on the 7th and 8th Slot.

Try running the Server with only 4 humans on to see how it runs.

Set this in your server.cfg

sv_gametypes coop,survival

Then see how it runs with 4 humans playing and if the Ping Spikes are no longer present etc.

- Lob (UK)

Last edited by Lob (UK; 02-09-2010 at 11:05.
xerealis
Old 02-09-2010 , 13:12   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Like i said, your srcds is only running on a single 2.4 Core. Multithreading is not supported. When you look at it this way, your CPU speed per Core is probably underpowered for the L4D2 minimum requirements which is probably what is causing the problem on the 7th and 8th Slot.

Try running the Server with only 4 humans on to see how it runs.

Set this in your server.cfg

sv_gametypes coop,survival

Then see how it runs with 4 humans playing and if the Ping Spikes are no longer present etc.

- Lob (UK)
Sorry but I'm quite confused...If I don't run my game at all just the srcds.exe There won't be the problem of insufficent ram or core?And the problem of the ping are still there.Sorry I'm quite a noob.Please forgive..
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2010 , 14:42   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Sorry but I'm quite confused...If I don't run my game at all just the srcds.exe There won't be the problem of insufficent ram or core?And the problem of the ping are still there.Sorry I'm quite a noob.Please forgive..
You have plenty of Ram and wont have any problems with that.

L4D2 is very resource hungry and like all srcds, only runs on a single core which in your case is 2.4 which would be fine on a dedicated machine where there is minimal resource wasteage, but yours is running on a shared machine so there will undoubtedly be resources being utilized elswhere even if you are not playing the game yourself at the same time.

You say that the Server runs fine with up to 6 players on but when the 7th and 8th player joins, everyone gets Ping Spikes. This could be either not enough Bandwidth or not enough Resources available to the srcds.

You Server rates are set up fine.

You still havent pasted your srcds command-line.

The next thing you need do is to test the performance when running the Server as suggested above and if it runs fine in Coop Mode with 4 players on, then your problem is insufficient resources available.

- Lob (UK)
xerealis
Old 02-09-2010 , 15:30   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
You have plenty of Ram and wont have any problems with that.

L4D2 is very resource hungry and like all srcds, only runs on a single core which in your case is 2.4 which would be fine on a dedicated machine where there is minimal resource wasteage, but yours is running on a shared machine so there will undoubtedly be resources being utilized elswhere even if you are not playing the game yourself at the same time.

You say that the Server runs fine with up to 6 players on but when the 7th and 8th player joins, everyone gets Ping Spikes. This could be either not enough Bandwidth or not enough Resources available to the srcds.

You Server rates are set up fine.

You still havent pasted your srcds command-line.

The next thing you need do is to test the performance when running the Server as suggested above and if it runs fine in Coop Mode with 4 players on, then your problem is insufficient resources available.

- Lob (UK)
Sorry I forgot to ask what is srcds command-line?Is it the codes on the console when I run the server or?I will test it soon.If I run the coop mode with 4 players fine means I lack Internet power or my computer is lacking enough requirements.Which isit?

Last edited by xerealis; 02-09-2010 at 15:33.
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2010 , 15:42   Re: L4D2 Pings fluctuates
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to ask what is srcds command-line?Is it the codes on the console when I run the server or?I will test it soon.If I run the coop mode with 4 players fine means I lack Internet power or my computer is lacking enough requirements.Which isit?
The command-line parameters as in the start up parameters you have set to start the Server up with such as +map etc

If it runs ok in Coop Mode with 4 players but Lags when you have 7 or 8 players on in versus, then it will be either CPU or Bandwidth or maybe both. You would need to carry out further tests to ascertain exactly which.

Let me know how it runs in Coop and then we will take it from there.

- Lob (UK)