12% 

< D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >

Post New Thread Reply   

THEHEXAGON
Old 02-07-2022 , 11:11   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
It looks like your hosting doesn't know much about AMXX versions.

1.8.3 is an unstable and OLD build that is now changed to 1.9 (it's just a number change and the updates continue in this version). It makes no sense for them to say that they don't support unstable builds and have an unstable build at the same time. 1.8.3 is not "approved" by AMXX either. 1.9 is at the moment the most stable version even though not officially stated by AMXX.

Basically, if you can update the version by yourself, go for it.

dice_main is the main plugin, this must be installed.
dice_items_global adds all rewards inside it that work on all games.
dice_items_cstrike adds the rewards that work only in CS/CZ.

To be honest I didn't have the nerves to make it back then since the code for it is a bit complicated. I will definitely re-add it when I get to update the plugin. It's been 5 years since I've done something to it, and there's definitely a lot that can be expanded.
I can appreciate what you are saying, but I also wonder why AMX states on their site that 1.9 is an "unstable build". My hosting service has been hosting this game, almost exclusively, since it was new. I don't know if there is another US based host out there with more experience than NFO with AMX.

When AMX stands behind their 1.9 version, so will NFO.
NFO is not going to get behind a version that AMX won't.
1.8 is the last supported version, and I think the decision to go to 1.8.3 had something to do with HLStatsX functions.

That aside........

Almost all of my player base has been playing with the original RTD since the very first release. It is not new to them. My players average age is mid-40's lol. After updating to the new DICE plugin, here is the feedback I have gotten from them, if it interests you or not:

Things that almost everyone misses:

Skywalker
Burning
Timebomb
Rambo

Things they would give up if they had to get rid of 4 things in order to get the other 4 back:

Hardwalk
Bury
Random Weapon
Win money

If I could have my own option it would be "ammo dump" : Player would immediately have all ammo inventory reduced to 0. He could either continue with a knife, or pickup other weapons with ammo in them. This could replace the "disarm", but I think it would be more entertaining for the player to retain their weapons and suddenly just get the old "click click click" of an empty weapon.

Also, Blood Toxin would be renamed CORONAVIRUS and would spread like the old fire one did. An infected team member could wipe out his whole team by spreading the CORONAVIRUS. instead of recreating the burning one, I would just modify the blood toxin one to be contagious like the fire one was.

BTW, I absolutely love your work. I know it's a dying game, but there is a very solid following here and as I learn more about how it works I appreciate your work even more, regardless of how long ago it was.
74.91.123.28:27015

Last edited by THEHEXAGON; 02-07-2022 at 14:34.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 02-07-2022 , 13:59   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #62

1.8.2 is the current stable version
1.8.3 is a dead old dev build that was renamed to 1.9
1.9 is feature frozen, not yet declared stable(but has a lot more features than 1.8.2 and also fixes so it should be fine to run)
1.10 is the new dev build

Last edited by HamletEagle; 02-07-2022 at 14:01.
THEHEXAGON
Old 02-07-2022 , 14:29   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
1.8.2 is the current stable version
1.8.3 is a dead old dev build that was renamed to 1.9
1.9 is feature frozen, not yet declared stable(but has a lot more features than 1.8.2 and also fixes so it should be fine to run)
1.10 is the new dev build
So my 1.8.3-dev-git5134 is actually 1.9?

So why would I need to upgrade from 1.8.3 to 1.9 then?

More than one person has told me that my 1.8.3-dev-git5134 is outrageously obsolete and I should upgrade to 1.9 at least.

Last edited by THEHEXAGON; 02-07-2022 at 14:32.
HamletEagle
Old 02-08-2022 , 02:55   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #64

No, your 1.8.3 is a very old build, it was renamed to 1.9 a long time ago and 1.9 kept being updated after that. They are not identical, 1.9 has more fixes and features as people kept working on it.
You should either use 1.8.2 or 1.9, there is no reason to use 1.8.3.
Old 02-08-2022 , 14:25   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #65

The funniest part is how your host states that they don't support "unstable builds", but 1.8.3 is literally the same thing but 10x times more unstable. It was even removed from AMXX's download page so you can't even "officially" get this version anymore.

1.8.3 was replaced with 1.9 a while ago. It used to say the same thing - "unstable build" on 1.8.3's download page as well, so what they're saying makes no sense.

And by the way, you keep saying AMX which is also funny. AMX is an ancient addon that is barely supported anymore. What we're using here is AMXX.

Quote:
Things they would give up if they had to get rid of 4 things in order to get the other 4 back:
There's no need to get rid of anything. There is no limit on how many rewards the plugin can have and you can very easily disable ones you don't want via the configuration file.

Since the plugin has a fully functional API, sub-plugins can be created in order to add additional rewards.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 02-08-2022 at 14:30.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom
THEHEXAGON
Old 02-08-2022 , 18:54   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
The funniest part is how your host states that they don't support "unstable builds", but 1.8.3 is literally the same thing but 10x times more unstable. It was even removed from AMXX's download page so you can't even "officially" get this version anymore.

1.8.3 was replaced with 1.9 a while ago. It used to say the same thing - "unstable build" on 1.8.3's download page as well, so what they're saying makes no sense.

And by the way, you keep saying AMX which is also funny. AMX is an ancient addon that is barely supported anymore. What we're using here is AMXX.

There's no need to get rid of anything. There is no limit on how many rewards the plugin can have and you can very easily disable ones you don't want via the configuration file.

Since the plugin has a fully functional API, sub-plugins can be created in order to add additional rewards.
Well, I can't dictate what the host says.
AMXX, yeah. I just figured that when I type AMX people understood I mean AMXX.

It's unfortunate that in order to host a server there is so much expectation that people have a background in scripting.

I never looked at a line of C++ until a month ago and only do it to try to set up the server.

Usually it's either "why are you asking a question in a 13yr old thread" or some sort of condescending explanation attacking details that someone who has been doing this for 1 month would not know.

So, let me ask you... Where is the book I can read on this so I don't come here and get berated every time I post something? Is there a forum that I could go to read instead of this one?

Last edited by THEHEXAGON; 02-08-2022 at 18:54.
THEHEXAGON
Old 02-08-2022 , 18:56   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
No, your 1.8.3 is a very old build, it was renamed to 1.9 a long time ago and 1.9 kept being updated after that. They are not identical, 1.9 has more fixes and features as people kept working on it.
You should either use 1.8.2 or 1.9, there is no reason to use 1.8.3.
I cannot regress in builds to 1.8.2 and I cannot go to 1.9 until it's officially released.
If I do either of those things, my host will not provide tech support with server problems, which means I would have to rely on forums like this ONLY to get answers.

Last edited by THEHEXAGON; 02-08-2022 at 18:57.
HamletEagle
Old 02-09-2022 , 08:01   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHEXAGON View Post
I cannot regress in builds to 1.8.2 and I cannot go to 1.9 until it's officially released.
If I do either of those things, my host will not provide tech support with server problems, which means I would have to rely on forums like this ONLY to get answers.
1.8.3 was never officially released and is unstable and old, you can't even download it anymore yet your host is using it while "not supporting unstable build". Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 02-09-2022 at 08:01.
THEHEXAGON
Old 02-09-2022 , 09:18   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #69

Quote:
1.8.3 was never officially released and is unstable and old, you can't even download it anymore yet your host is using it while "not supporting unstable build". Makes no sense to me, but whatever.
I don't install it.
Approved software is installed via Autoinstaller from the hosting dashboard.

As previously stated, I believe that when 1.8.3 was in development, they agreed to upgrade in order to establish connectivity to their HLSTATSX web pages, (or something). I would assume that once people started purchasing that option, they couldn't roll back and get rid of it, but there has not been an official released version of 1.9, so they can't move forward either.

The HLSTATSX page for my server.

Also, I don't understand why 1.9 is supposedly so safe to use, but is eternally listed as "unstable" and unsupported.

I mean if everyone supports and recommends it, why hasn't it been released?

Last edited by THEHEXAGON; 02-09-2022 at 09:47.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2022 , 15:09   Re: < D.I.C.E. > Ultimate Roll the Dice < R.T.D. >
Reply With Quote #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHEXAGON View Post
Well, I can't dictate what the host says.
AMXX, yeah. I just figured that when I type AMX people understood I mean AMXX.

It's unfortunate that in order to host a server there is so much expectation that people have a background in scripting.

I never looked at a line of C++ until a month ago and only do it to try to set up the server.

Usually it's either "why are you asking a question in a 13yr old thread" or some sort of condescending explanation attacking details that someone who has been doing this for 1 month would not know.

So, let me ask you... Where is the book I can read on this so I don't come here and get berated every time I post something? Is there a forum that I could go to read instead of this one?
I'm not saying you need to have scripting knowledge. I'm saying you can request for these sub-plugins to be made.

You can't simply read something and expect to learn an entire programming language. Those things need time and practice which not many have the will to do.

Quote:
If your server is working fine with 1.8.3, it can only work better with 1.9 given into consideration that 1.9 is in a "feature frozen" state, meaning that no big new things are being added except for bug-fixes (bugs that your 1.8.3 server currently has).

AMXX is backwards compatible, meaning new versions cannot break things that were made for older versions.

You're much better off upgrading to 1.9 or even 1.10 and not relying on your host's support. They don't need to worry about what kind of plugins/modules you're using. The forum can offer help with those.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why 1.9 is supposedly so safe to use, but is eternally listed as "unstable" and unsupported.

I mean if everyone supports and recommends it, why hasn't it been released?
Because of the simple fact that the AMXX developers are barely active anymore. Everyone who is familiar with AMXX development and running servers in 2022 is using 1.9 (me personally 1.10 and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever).

I would personally remove the "unstable" word from the website since it freaks people out so much. It's mainly there to tell you that there MAY be some issues, but usually these issues are addressed quickly and a new build is released shortly after. Again, nothing is stopping you from spending 2-3 minutes to install the new build.

You can easily track these changes in the Github page and see for yourself how many things have been fixed since 1.8.3.

1.9 - https://github.com/alliedmodders/amx...ommits/1.9-dev (feature-frozen state: focuses mainly on bugfixes)
1.10 - https://github.com/alliedmodders/amxmodx/commits/master (includes more new features, along with the 1.9 bugfixes)

Again, both are safe to use.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 02-09-2022 at 15:12.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom