Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Screenshot plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

leegreaves
Old 02-27-2014 , 15:45   Screenshot plugin
Reply With Quote #1

I have a suggestion for a plugin. Maybe a "screenshot" utility that is able to take, at regular intervals, screenshots of players on a server. This would obviously be a server side call and have a feeling a small client side file would also need to be created in order for it to function correctly.

Anyway, the server side plugin will, at set intervals, send a request to each client on the server for a screenshot to be taken and sent back to server side. The resulting screenshot, which could be for example in the .png format to save on packet size that is returned, would then be saved to a directory that is set via configuring (ie if configs/ini files are used in conjunction on the server).

One check that would need to be made is upon a client entering the server, the server side sends a request on the client for confirmation that the client side file is present, if no reply, the server passes a copy of the client side file in a plugins directory.

The function of the server side plugin would be for calling requests for screenshots to be taken, and upon receiving a returned screenshot, save it to the preset directory that is set upon installation.

The client side plugins' function is for listening for server side requests for screenshots. Upon receiving a requests, it takes a screenshot of the clients game screen and returns it to the server side via packet data.

Another function that would need to be utilized is md5 checking of the plugin on the client side. With there being a client side file being used, this would make it vulnerable to its code being changed by someone in order to circumvent screenshots being taken and then sent back to server side. If a mismatch in md5's is found then an option of either automatically sending a correct copy of the file can be implemented, or even an option of banning the player from the server automatically.

Im sure anyone now reading this is seeing the true goal of this plugin! It can be utilized for checking players "visually" for cheats through the use of captured screenshots, and upon positives being found, server admins then have the option of banning that player from their server.

It would also, be useful in this case, to have "additional info" captured as part of the screenshot maybe added underneath the body of the screenshot as player info. Screenshot info could include: Server info, player name and ip address, their steam id (normal steam id or steam 64 id). This would then make it easier for server admin to be able to ban that player more quickly and easier.

I hope everyone gets the idea behind this plugin, and perhaps comment on how useful they think it would be to them.

If I think of anything else that would be useful then I'll obviously edit this OP or add a new comment.
leegreaves
Old 02-27-2014 , 15:46   Re: Screenshot plugin
Reply With Quote #2

Oooops I meant to post this in the SourceMod section not AMX section!!! HAHA Im posting a copy of this in the SM plugin requests board...if a mod can delete this, it would be appreciated.