Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    extensive rpg plugins supporting save and load features for both players and bots, through databases. skyrpg1 boasts a leveling system where players unlock new abilities by reaching set levels with different weapons categories or infected classes
    Old 10-06-2012 , 20:58   [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #1

Description
    skyrpg_v1 was my first attempt at an rpg plugin for left 4 dead 2.
    It featured a linear leveling path; Players level up their weapons classes and infected classes and unlock pre-determined
    abilities and skills for attaining configurable levels.
    Weapons classes were split into [pistol | smg | shotgun | sniper | rifle | grenade]
    Infected classes, are obviously [hunter | smoker | boomer | jockey | spitter | charger | tank]
    The Infected team also had an "infected" level which governed the classes, by adding bonus movement and health, while
    the Survivor team had a "physical" level which governed unlocks, total health, and other bonuses.
    Anytime a player earned experience, if they were survivor it would add to their physical level; infected level if infected, and
    also into the category they were using, if the weapon was applicable; using weapons that the player hadn't "unlocked" would
    still count towards physical level, but not towards that weapons category, so the player could unlock the category using that
    weapon, but not earn experience in that category until said weapon was unlocked.

Max levels, as well as experience requirements and multipliers, are calculated based on configurable settings; you can set players
    to level up ridiculously fast, or horrendously slow. You can choose to let players have all the abilities unlocked at level 1, and just
    make them more powerful as the player levels. It's completely configurable for how you want the game to be played.

Players that don't have all of the unlocks can spend points that they earn through the plugins accompanying buy plugin that will
    last until the end of the round. Points earned for attacks, damage, distance, etc., are separate from the experience earned, and
    are reset every time the round ends, along with temporary purchases that the player made. Some of these purchases do include
    allowing players to buy up to their higher tier infected abilities, so with a little work, they can temporarily have the abilities that
    the other players have unlocked.

There are 4 tiers of Infected classes:

Tier 1: Standard, no buffs, no bonuses, no additional perks.
    Tier 2: Default (blue) players unlock one buff, no bonuses, and one additional perk.
    Tier 3: Default (green) players unlock one buff, one bonus, and one additional perk.
    Tier 4: Default (red) players unlock one buff, all bonuses, and one additional perk.

There are two other tiers that are the same for all Infected classes, and unlock the same way each tier unlocks; through attaining
    a certain level with that Infected Class.

Wall Of Fire: When the infected player dies, they explode into a river of flames. This kills most (un)common infected, but deals
    massive damage to survivors. Wall of Fire can be toggled on/off for each individual class in the players settings panel, but even if
    toggled on, will not trigger if that class has not unlocked the ability.
    Spawn Anywhere: When the infected player enters ghost mode, they will be able to spawn anywhere they want; even if it's in front
    on the survivor, looking straight at him. Anywhere the player wants to spawn. This ability isn't applicable to tanks.

When an infected class reaches a new tier, the bonuses, buffs, and/or perks they unlock are unique to their class.
    To combat these upgrades, survivors have some seriously destructive abilities of their own that they can unlock. The most notable
    of these abilities being able to attach special ammo types to their weapons.

Each weapon category can hold only one type of special ammo at a time, and cannot hold a special ammo type currently in use by
    another weapons category.

The special ammo types are: [bloat (heavy) | ice (slowing) | bean bag (teleporting) | heal (heals teammates) | blind (blinds enemies)]

Installation Instructions, Dependencies
    This plugin requires my Ready Up plugin.
    Rotoblin Gamemode.inc
    Mr. Zero's l4dstocks
    SDKHooks
    Left 4 Downtown 2

Bug Reports, Comments, etc.
    If you have a bug to report, please make sure you've checked it against the known issues, which will be
    posted at the sky-plugins project issues page to make sure your issue
    isn't already added to a new update; And if it isn't, please add it to the list.

Source Code
    You can always find the latest source code here.
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip skyrpg_v1.zip (143.1 KB, 1957 views)
    File Type: smx skyrpg_v1.smx (205.3 KB, 1077 views)

Last edited by Skyy; 10-09-2012 at 12:16. Reason: Uploaded binary; users can compile the source if they feel integrity is an issue.
    Doc-Holiday
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-06-2012 , 21:31   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #2

double threads? versions don't need two separate threads.

unless they are two different plugins... version updates belong inside of one thread.

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 10-06-2012 at 21:32.
    Skyy
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-06-2012 , 21:33   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #3

These are two completely different plugins. Please read the descriptions/view the source.
    Doc-Holiday
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-06-2012 , 22:03   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
    These are two completely different plugins. Please read the descriptions/view the source.
    yes but they do the same thing... what is different about them... they are given the same name with different version numbers.

Code:
    This was my second attempt at an rpg-like plugin for left 4 dead 2.
    and
    skyrpg_v1 was my first attempt at an rpg plugin for left 4 dead 2.

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 10-06-2012 at 22:04.
    Skyy
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-06-2012 , 22:58   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
    yes but they do the same thing... what is different about them... they are given the same name with different version numbers.
    left 4 dead 1 and left 4 dead 2 are given the same name with different version numbers.
    what is different about them?

Last edited by Skyy; 10-06-2012 at 22:58.
    Doc-Holiday
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-07-2012 , 00:43  
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
    left 4 dead 1 and left 4 dead 2 are given the same name with different version numbers.
    what is different about them?
    What is the difference between the plugins they are for the same game with different versions thats all.... Im just saying for one its confusing and two why is their 2?

And)l4d and l4d2 are different games on different engines

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 10-07-2012 at 00:46.
    thetwistedpanda
    Good Little Panda
    Old 10-07-2012 , 01:04   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #7

He's free to fork his own plugin and re-release it... He's already said they're completely different; v2 was likely a development spurt that kept going leaving anyone using v1 in the dust. There are numerous valid reasons for doing so (most common would probably be selling off plugins, yet wanting to continue development, then selling off new versions xD - or releasing instead of selling if that's your thing).

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 10-07-2012 at 01:15.
    Doc-Holiday
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-07-2012 , 01:36  
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
    He's free to fork his own plugin and re-release it... He's already said they're completely different; v2 was likely a development spurt that kept going leaving anyone using v1 in the dust. There are numerous valid reasons for doing so (most common would probably be selling off plugins, yet wanting to continue development, then selling off new versions xD - or releasing instead of selling if that's your thing).
    I guess just not sure why they needed to be in different posts is all as they do the basic same thing's. Just more convenient for users to have em together but ill shut up now.
    Skyy
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 10-07-2012 , 03:36   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #9

That argument could easily be applied to left 4 dead 2 itself, though, since it's basically just an expansion to left 4 dead 1. The reason they're separate is at best, there are only two things the plugins have in common; the type of plugin (rpg) and the author. When I first developed the original, players came to me saying they wanted more freedom. In v1, there are no talent points. You level up to each tier, and unlock it and that's that. The abilities power is set to specifics by server owners. In v2, you level up and assign talent points like in an mmorpg sort of system. The result is an entirely different type of gameplay. You determine how powerful your abilities are, and what abilities you unlock. You can play survivor and stack all your talent points into the infected trees if you want to. I suppose what I'm saying is, trying to say they're both rpg's and that they don't deserve their own threads is like saying WoW and CoH are both mmo's and don't deserve to be separate games. They're both the same type of plugin, but are so drastically different, offering such different game play mechanics that they deserve their own threads; whether it's a totally different game, a total conversion, or a plugin. I think that's what also makes open source so nice - there are at least a dozen different buy plugins; they're all buy plugins, but they're generally so ridiculously different that you can't possibly request that they be listed under the same thread; whether by the same author or by different people.

twistedpanda, you're sort of right, actually. When v1 was finished, I wanted to do more with it, and just wasn't sure what to do. These were developed privately for my server community. When I developed v2, v1 was released publicly. To accompany v2, I wrote a brand new team manager and ready up plugin. When v2 was finished, other server owners saw the plugin and would ask how much for it. I laughed a few times and told them it wasn't for sale; However, I've moved on to games like borderlands 2, guild wars 2, and another year of university, so my time for maintaining a community has run short. Instead of selling it off to a few communities, I've released it publicly, so everyone can enjoy it. People are free to donate if they want to, but it isn't necessary.

The only downside to the plugins that some people have commented on is that they require ready up to function. This is because I wrote custom forwards that these plugins use, which would make it a pain to do so without them.

The result is that if these two drastically different plugins were in the same post, users would be more confused, and originally, I did have them all in one giant post - and moderators asked me to separate them for the obvious reasons; One of which being they're not two different versions of the same plugin. I implore you to take a look at the plugins yourself, and you'll see how extremely different they are. They do share some similar abilities and features, such as both containing map records, but they're two very different types of rpg.

But, thank you for your comments; no one is asking you to shut up, though. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just feel that looking at the larger picture often helps.

Last edited by Skyy; 10-07-2012 at 03:36.
    kiwi87
    Old 10-08-2012 , 11:11   Re: [l4d2] skyrpg_v1 [store | trails | rpg | saving | etc.]
    Reply With Quote #10

Tested v1, its working
    But I prefer v2 ^^