Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

High sv and var on AWS hosted server

Post New Thread Reply   

yurimg31
Old 01-18-2023 , 11:34   High sv and var on AWS hosted server
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, I've played a few years befores making free tier servers both on AWS and Oracle Cloud, and both worked smoothly.

But this past week I've been making servers even in paid tier and the sv and var for the servers get high. I've tried yesterday the t3.small and then upgraded to the t3.medium. It's still lagging on sv and var when trying to play with 9 bots on warmup. Sv stays around 4-6, while var gets up to 0.8 during shooting times.

The cpu on the t3.medium that I'm using right now is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8259CL CPU @ 2.50GHz with 2 cores. The cpu usage stays between 50-60% and it has 4gb of memory that stays between the same usage percentage.

Is this cpu not enough to have a server? Bcuz I've used the t1.micro before and it worked flawlessly. On the AWS marketplace people sell the service for cs go servers recommending the t2.small, which is worse. So what may be the problem here??
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-18-2023 , 19:13   Re: High sv and var on AWS hosted server
Reply With Quote #2

You neglected to mention what you're hosting, but I'll assume it's not Mario Party and something SRCDS related.

Unless you have a need for AWS, you won't get decent performance without using compute (c5.xxx) instances. There are better and cheaper options if you want to host an installation that is always up, if you want deployments, there are still better options. Though if you're deployment flow uses AWS and it's setup, you will want to use compute instances in order to get performance you once used.

Simply put, what you used to use has changed and what is needed now has changed. Most of these games rely on high single threaded processors to get the "best" performance. Especially if you change from 64 tickrate to 102.4 or 128. What people are selling on the AWS marketplace is to represent easy and cheap deployment that is minimal and satisfies the 64 tickrate requirement. It can run but it won't run the best.

Best option is for you to try different deployment options and see what works best with the current instances. Come back and report what you found works best at the launch options and game you are using, what sv/var/etc rates you are seeing.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 01-18-2023 at 19:13.
yurimg31
Old 01-20-2023 , 14:12   Re: High sv and var on AWS hosted server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
You neglected to mention what you're hosting, but I'll assume it's not Mario Party and something SRCDS related.

Unless you have a need for AWS, you won't get decent performance without using compute (c5.xxx) instances. There are better and cheaper options if you want to host an installation that is always up, if you want deployments, there are still better options. Though if you're deployment flow uses AWS and it's setup, you will want to use compute instances in order to get performance you once used.

Simply put, what you used to use has changed and what is needed now has changed. Most of these games rely on high single threaded processors to get the "best" performance. Especially if you change from 64 tickrate to 102.4 or 128. What people are selling on the AWS marketplace is to represent easy and cheap deployment that is minimal and satisfies the 64 tickrate requirement. It can run but it won't run the best.

Best option is for you to try different deployment options and see what works best with the current instances. Come back and report what you found works best at the launch options and game you are using, what sv/var/etc rates you are seeing.
Sorry for forgetting, it's a CS:GO server. And yes, it's 128 tickrate. I've upgraded to a c5.large. It feels a little better, but still above in sv than I expected. I'll have to wait for an opportunity to try it with 10 actual players to see if it's gonna work.