Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

MySQL using /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock instead of /tmp/mysql.sock

Post New Thread Reply   

waylaidwanderer
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-28-2012 , 00:43   MySQL using /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock instead of /tmp/mysql.sock
Reply With Quote #1

I've been trying to configure SourceBans all day and trying to fix this, but it's not working for me.

It keeps looking for /tmp/mysql.sock in that directory but the latest MySQL server puts the sock in /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock instead. How can I tell SourceBans (or heck, any plugin that uses MySQL) to use this socket instead? If I change the sockets in my.cnf to /tmp/mysql.sock it breaks the web interface of SourceBans because it attempts to connect through /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have fixed this problem by doing something seemingly unrelated: setting bind-ip to localhost instead of the default 127.0.0.1

Anyway, now that I've solved it, I have another question to ask.

Is it possible to use SourceBans on multiple servers from the same SRCDS installation? I know there's a Server ID I have to set in the config file but I don't see a way of doing this unless I can specify a different config file for SourceBans to use.

Last edited by waylaidwanderer; 08-28-2012 at 00:59.
Veteran Member
Old 08-28-2012 , 11:00   Re: MySQL using /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock instead of /tmp/mysql.sock
Reply With Quote #2

I solved your first problem by putting the socket location as the hostname in databases.cfg.

As for the second, you should always have one SourceMod directory per server, though one SRCDS for all is fine. So having one ServerID would be easily done.

I have one of my boxes set up as:
  • tf/addons/
    • sourcemod1
    • sourcemod2
    • sourcemod3
Old 08-28-2012 , 14:23   Re: MySQL using /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock instead of /tmp/mysql.sock
Reply With Quote #3

You can normally tell the mysql driver to not use a unix socket, but a TCP socket instead by setting the mysql host to 127.0.0.1 instead of "localhost" in the databases.cfg.

When people ask me "Plz" just because it's shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because it's shorter than "Yes"