Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[SM] Ban no longer function properly

Post New Thread Reply   

NeonHeights
Old 05-05-2015 , 16:41   [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #1

So im not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue, but as of recently our sm_ban is not functioning properly.

When an admin uses sm_ban, it will add the ban into our SourceMod database but will not kick the player. If the player is kicked via sm_kick or if the player leaves, they cannot rejoin due to the ban. But the original command sm_ban no longer works in kicking people for some reason.

If you use the command through the /admin menu, it works fine and the player is banned and kicked normally. It only doesnt work if its used in the chat/console.

Using sm_ban in chat will add a new copy of the ban for every time its typed as seen below:

http://gyazo.com/ac8ff19d7ad6958f315c3d0af629934f

Can anybody help me out here? Not sure if other people or experiencing this or if its just us. I have made no changes to the basebans or anything in sourcebans recently so im confused as to why this happened.

Last edited by NeonHeights; 05-05-2015 at 16:41.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2015 , 17:07   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #2

sm_ban works for me the past 3 days (I used it to get rid of idiots). My useless advice would be to use the latest SM snapshot, disable all your plugins, and see if it works. Then slowly add back your plugins to your server and see if it suddenly stops kicking players (the brute force approach).

I should note that I don't have a database or anything fancy attached to sm_ban (my server is private so an admin is always on it), so as a heuristic, disable any banning administration plugins or extensions first and test it.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 05-05-2015 at 17:09.
NeonHeights
Old 05-05-2015 , 17:29   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #3

We run a LOT of plugins so id rather make that a last resort if at all possible. Im not exactly sure that any of our regular server plugins would affect the ban function either.. theyre completely seperate

& as I said, it works perfectly fine through the /admin menu but is glitchy with the actual command which is why im confused. It may be a direct issue with sourcebans.smx instead of sourcemod as the sm_ban command is overwritten when sourcebans is installed

But ive made no changes at all to sourcebans in the last year..

Last edited by NeonHeights; 05-05-2015 at 17:44.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 05-05-2015 , 21:00   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #4

Odd, same thing is happening with my servers. Latest stable sourcemod/metamod snapshot, running SourceBans. sm_ban adds the ban properly, but doesn't eject the client.

There's also the issue of SourceBans not kicking banned clients when they connect, but I'm looking into that and that is technically off-topic here.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 05-05-2015 at 21:01.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 05-05-2015 , 21:21   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #5

Does banning work if you remove the sourcebans plugin and re-add SM's basebans.smx?
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 05-05-2015 , 21:28   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #6

See that's what I'm thinking the issue is. It may be that SourceBans' sm_ban doesn't work the way that SourceMod's sm_ban does.

I just haven't had time to sit down and look at the code due to work. Same reason why I haven't had time to swap things out and test.

But I mean, SourceBans worked for ages and then sometime in April this year, it just stopped. I'm thinking maybe a TF2 update in April caused this issue.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 05-05-2015 at 21:29.
NeonHeights
Old 05-05-2015 , 23:21   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
See that's what I'm thinking the issue is. It may be that SourceBans' sm_ban doesn't work the way that SourceMod's sm_ban does.

I just haven't had time to sit down and look at the code due to work. Same reason why I haven't had time to swap things out and test.

But I mean, SourceBans worked for ages and then sometime in April this year, it just stopped. I'm thinking maybe a TF2 update in April caused this issue.
Very glad to see im not the only server owner with this problem. Im thinking its likely sourcebans.smx but wont be able to test until the morning
Old 05-06-2015 , 00:33   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #8

I'm running some slightly updated version of 1.4.11 from the google code and it bans like it's supposed to.
heavenrave
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-06-2015 , 09:23   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #9

Refer to that problem I had in that topic.

Check if your sourcebans.phrases txt file is in your translation folder. I had the same issue before because 3 of my servers didn't have them though.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=262013

If not check your addons/sourcemod/logs , the latest log and see if there is any error for sourceban, as well as your sourcebans logs. Make sure to fully shut down your server and restart it , so that the error log would generate out upon server restarts.

Last edited by heavenrave; 05-06-2015 at 09:26.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2015 , 09:37   Re: [SM] Ban no longer function properly
Reply With Quote #10

I have the same problem. I use sourcebans. I'm usually good about being up to date. This happens rarely. It's been happening for over half a year or more. I never have sourcebans in my error logs. The sourceban's database does update, but they are only blocked if they reconnect. It doesn't kick them and there is no confirmation message.

Last edited by Chdata; 05-06-2015 at 09:59.