Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]

Post New Thread Reply   

Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-31-2014 , 02:43   In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #1

Whenever I make new functions I usually just use stock Function() because I see that used a lot, or sometimes just Function() for absolutely no reason.

What difference does it all make? When should I use what?

(If its a native or something that normally requires public or whatever it requires, of course, I'll use that).

Last edited by Chdata; 01-31-2014 at 02:44.
floube
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-31-2014 , 02:49   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #2

AFAIK when using something like SomeRandomFunction(data=0) you must use stock or [blank].

Last edited by floube; 01-31-2014 at 02:50.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 01-31-2014 , 03:38   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #3

If you apply a stock prefix, then the compiler won't be yelling at you if you don't use the function somewhere in the plugin.
Old 01-31-2014 , 04:19   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #4

stock is for functions in include files (they don't get compiled into the plugin if unused), public is for functions that other plugins or SourceMod needs to be able to call (i.e. forward callbacks), and no specifier is for everything else (there is also static which is used for "internal" functions in include files, which are only visible to other functions in that file).
Old 01-31-2014 , 16:13   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #5

Try to avoid using stock in standard .sp files since the larger the code gets the more likely your source code will still be containing a function that you no longer require, and with stock you'll forget it's hiding there.
Old 01-31-2014 , 21:11   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #6

stock are just going to get compile if you use the function, public is basically for callbacks (functions called into your plugin but that not coming from your plugin), nothing just mean your function is private, you use private function for everything that stay inside your codes.

EDIT: What asherkin said.

Last edited by Mathias.; 01-31-2014 at 21:12.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 02-01-2014 , 04:52   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #7

use public for every function
new for every variable
IsValidClient in every loop

who needs parsimony in programming when you have 8+ core xeons at ~3ghz
berni
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 02-01-2014 , 07:56   Re: In general, when should I use stock vs public vs [blank]
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
use public for every function
new for every variable
IsValidClient in every loop

who needs parsimony in programming when you have 8+ core xeons at ~3ghz
Error: BIG FAIL detected

When people ask me "Plz" just because it's shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because it's shorter than "Yes"