Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

The Hunted Mod v1.2.1 (8/12/08)

Post New Thread Reply   

msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-08-2008 , 17:35   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #21

Are you running this from a Listen Server or a Dedicated Server?
Old 07-08-2008 , 20:30   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #22

Okay, so far I just want to see a few things addressed:

The current civilian is faster than his two main protectors, and without a way to catch up to him (No teles without an engi) it's very painful to feel like your useless as you trudge through the level. (Perhaps a spawn that is adjusted to be near the hunted? I know it is very hard to do.)

Pyros need to be removed. It is far too easy to burn the hunted down, or just distract him while a spy or sniper hits him. Even a blind pyro rush wipes out all resistance. I think it should be: No pyros, 2 Spy limit, and limitless snipers. (I realize it's already been announced this will be removed, this is just what I think the class limits should be like)

I know from playing other server-side mods that health and speed boosts are possilbe. The civilian should be given a slight health boost (25-50 health) while his protecters get a small speed boost (20 units per second)

There needs to be some kind of warning when the engi is attacked. I kept getting killed by pyros who would hide (I never got killed by a sniper or back stab) and no one would notice even when I ran screaming "MEDIC!" into our group. (I try to hide from the fighting and move up when the bloodshed is over) People chalked up all my deaths to gross incompetence and wanted to kick me. Though it may sound that I'm being egotistical and am complaining, this is not a good thing. The defenders shouldn't believe every instance of the engi's death is the engi's fault; they should believe it is their fault. I felt it was my fault whenever my engi died.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-08-2008 , 20:55   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #23

Thanks for the info Killar, I am going to take all of this into consideration.

I'm going to try and release 1.1 here very soon, to add in the "votehunted" command, a basic team balancer that favors Blue, and fix a few minor bugs. I also may make it so that when the Hunted commits suicide, falls from a height and dies, or in otherwise dies of his own accord, it does not trigger the message and everyone is not respawned.

I will also be either adding in a cap to the number of Pyros on the Assassin's team, or removing them altogether. In regards to health and speed, if I do make any changes there I may lower the Engineer's speed just a bit, as opposed to making everyone faster.
Old 07-09-2008 , 11:01   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #24

those are good ideas, pyros just pwn the floor and nothing can be done about it.

I had it on my dedicated test server which is windows, but i gave it a shot on my other dedicated server linux and it works just fine, cool mod.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2008 , 15:09   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #25

Unfortunately I do not have a Windows server to test on, so I'm not sure what could be causing the issues there. I'd like to try and test things out on a Windows box if you'd be willing to give me admin/rcon/FTP access. Sorry I can't really be more help though!
Old 07-09-2008 , 16:41   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #26

I agree with killar, Pyros should be out, or maybe limited to 1.

On a side note... whats the ETA on that classic hunted map? Cant wait for that!
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2008 , 17:02   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #27

Just a quick update for what Version 1.1 is going to have in store. I am hoping to have a release for this sometime this weekend or early next week.

- Limiting Pyros on RED. This will either be a straight cap or a percentage of the team. The exact amount or percentage will be able to be determined by a CVar, since larger servers can accommodate more Pyros.
- Fixing "Victory/Loss" sound bug where the victory sound is not played sometimes.
- Fixing "No Engineer" bug from instantly selecting a new Hunted instead of waiting 20 seconds.
- Fixing Hunted self death respawn, so that the Hunted suiciding or falling from a great height will not cause everyone to respawn.
- Fixing respawn when a new Hunted is selected.
- Disabling respawn if the Hunted is switched during Setup.
- Adding in some rotation methods. The Hunted will now automatically change at the beginning of a new round.
- Adding in the "votehunted" chat command. This will also auto-execute if The Hunted dies more than a set amount of times within a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAP View Post
On a side note... whats the ETA on that classic hunted map? Cant wait for that!
I wish I could give a definite but we are still working on both The Hunted and Border Cross. 1/4 Life, who is working on the border1 remake, says he should have a playable beta within the next few days. The Hunted remake may take longer, as we are adding 2 stages before the Classic area, to try and extend the gameplay a bit. I will definitely post here and in the Steam group when there will be a playable beta version.
Old 07-15-2008 , 16:11   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #28

Version 1.1.0 has been released. See the first page for updated change log, and how to use the new Pyro limiting CVars.
Old 07-15-2008 , 17:16   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Lulz_Killar View Post
The current civilian is faster than his two main protectors, and without a way to catch up to him (No teles without an engi) it's very painful to feel like your useless as you trudge through the level. (Perhaps a spawn that is adjusted to be near the hunted? I know it is very hard to do.)
The mode should be (for one side) to defend with a part of the team, since the other part is occupied respawning and running to the Hunted. It's normal. Having a moving spawn near the Hunted is way too easy.

Quote:
I know from playing other server-side mods that health and speed boosts are possilbe. The civilian should be given a slight health boost (25-50 health) while his protecters get a small speed boost (20 units per second)
Speed boost would be a huge error. The whole gameplay and dyanmic of the classes would be affected, people losing their references, and so on.

Quote:
There needs to be some kind of warning when the engi is attacked. I kept getting killed by pyros who would hide (I never got killed by a sniper or back stab) and no one would notice even when I ran screaming "MEDIC!" into our group.
That's why microphones exist, but yep having a useless un-mic player as a Hunted would require some visual warning.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2008 , 18:34   Re: The Hunted Gameplay Mod
Reply With Quote #30

Doh, fixed a small bug with the Pyro limiter, please update to 1.1.1. First post updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérémie View Post
The mode should be (for one side) to defend with a part of the team, since the other part is occupied respawning and running to the Hunted. It's normal. Having a moving spawn near the Hunted is way too easy.

Speed boost would be a huge error. The whole gameplay and dyanmic of the classes would be affected, people losing their references, and so on.

That's why microphones exist, but yep having a useless un-mic player as a Hunted would require some visual warning.
I agree, having the Bodyguards spawn near the Hunted would give them an extreme advantage that is not necessary.

As I have said before, I will not be adding any speed, health, or Critical changes to the plugin. The reason is because plugins that do this already exist, and I do not feel it is necessary to the gameplay to add them. However if a server admin would like to add these, he may do so and the mods should not conflict.

I will consider adding some sort of text message on screen when the Hunted is under fire, but as has been said, the Hunted having a mic is pretty vital and if that is the case then he himself should be able to say, "Hey, I am being shot at!"