Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] net_maxfilesize problem

Post New Thread Reply   

Pog
Old 12-29-2019 , 15:39   [TF2] net_maxfilesize problem
Reply With Quote #1

So. I made an upward server and i really want to use abandoned upward on it. But i have a problem. The map size is too big. Even when compressed, it's still above 64 MB. I don't know what to do. Help will be appreciated
worMatty
Old 12-29-2019 , 17:25   Re: [TF2] net_maxfilesize problem
Reply With Quote #2

Hello, there.

If you want to serve files greater than 64MB you'll need to set up or rent a web server and use it to store and serve files. This is known as a FastDL server.

Alternatively, you can use the Steam Workshop to serve your maps, if the maps are on the Workshop. Fortunately, Abandoned Upward is in the Workshop here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...andoned+upward

In order to run it on your server, you need the map's nine digit ID number which is found in its Workshop URL (454133929 in this case). In all cases where you want to switch to the map, whether it be manually or in your mapcycle.txt file, you type 'workshop/' followed by the map ID. For example:
workshop/454133929
Instead of downloading Workshop maps from your server, players download them from the Steam Workshop automatically.
Pog
Old 12-30-2019 , 11:17   Re: [TF2] net_maxfilesize problem
Reply With Quote #3

I have a FastDL server. That doesn't seem to matter. I have compressed the file and somehow it's still above 64 MB which makes absolutely no sense as Bzip2 should compress it down by almost twice it's original size.

But i will do the workshop one. Thank you so much.
Pog
Old 12-30-2019 , 11:36   Re: [TF2] net_maxfilesize problem
Reply With Quote #4

Hello again.

I'm getting the error message: Map Missing, Disconnecting. What can i do about this?
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 12-30-2019 , 12:46   Re: [TF2] net_maxfilesize problem
Reply With Quote #5

I believe net_maxfilesize is used for uploads, not downloads.

I read somewhere on this forum that you should have the uncompressed map on your FastDL server when working with very large maps. In other words, put pl_abandoned_upward_finalfix.bsp in your FastDL server. It doesn't hurt to have both the compressed and uncompressed in the same directory. I do this for every map over 100MB.

If you want to try a fantastic version of Upward try UpFreeWard. Here's a link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1181402542