Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Return type of a new GlobalForward

Post New Thread Reply   

usernameisrequired
Old 12-12-2021 , 05:42   Return type of a new GlobalForward
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I'd like to create a declaration for "listening" to a new GlobalForward, with a prototype return type of void.

The wiki page for Global Forwards has an example of creating a new forward with the prototype:

Code:
forward void OnClientDied(int attacker, int victim, const char[] weapon, bool headshot)
with the implementation:

Code:
new GlobalForward("OnClientDied", ET_Event, Param_Cell, Param_Cell, Param_String, Param_Cell);
However, the ExecType parameter ET_Event would seem to imply a prototype with the return type of Action:

Quote:
ET_Event

Acts as an event with the Actions defined in core.inc, no mid-Stops allowed, returns highest
These pieces of information seem to be in conflict. For creating a prototype that returns void, shouldn't one instead create the new GlobalForward with the ExecType of ET_Ignore? Is the wiki incorrect here, or am I misunderstanding something about how GlobalForwards work? Can I safely declare a prototype that returns void despite ET_Event expecting to return Action?

I'm mainly asking this because I'd like to "subscribe" to a GlobalForward created by another plugin author using this exact pattern (probably copied from this wiki example snippet), and I'm unsure if I can just declare the forward prototype in my own code as public void, or do I have to use a public Action that returns Plugin_Continue because the GlobalForward's ExecType is ET_Event? I just want my plugin to have read access to the forward's parameters, not to block the call or modify the pushed values. It seems that the Plugin_Continue enum value is currently defined as 0, so perhaps returning void would result in the same behaviour, but I'm wondering if this kind of use would be well-defined.

Last edited by usernameisrequired; 12-12-2021 at 06:42.
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 12-12-2021 , 06:47   Re: Return type of a new GlobalForward
Reply With Quote #2

You can use ET_Ignore without any worry. That's what I have always practiced when it comes to global/private forwards expecting void return values.
usernameisrequired
Old 12-12-2021 , 07:03   Re: Return type of a new GlobalForward
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
You can use ET_Ignore without any worry. That's what I have always practiced when it comes to global/private forwards expecting void return values.
Sorry, perhaps my rambling message was a bit unclear. I meant that there is another plugin whose code I don't have control over, where they are using ET_Event for what is supposedly a void forward. Since this is not a plugin I write, I can't change the ExecType. I'd like to use their global forward as:

Code:
public void ThirdPartyStuffHappened(int third_party_data)
{
    DoMyThing(third_party_data);
}
but am wondering if I should instead be doing the more wordy

Code:
public Action ThirdPartyStuffHappened(int third_party_data)
{
    DoMyThing(third_party_data);
    return Plugin_Continue;
}
despite the AlliedMods wiki example linked in the OP post seemingly suggesting otherwise.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-06-2022 , 06:42   Re: Return type of a new GlobalForward
Reply With Quote #4

void is an implicit 0 return, so is equivalent to retuning Plugin_Continue for ET_Event. I've updated the wiki page to use ET_Ignore, which is more correct for the implementation in the example.