Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

I need help...very badly

Post New Thread Reply   

{|E2160|]{--}._%-=FuZz=-_
Old 09-23-2005 , 21:57   I need help...very badly
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I've been a big fan of Counter-Strike Source ever since it's release, but one thng that's really irked me is the spawn system. I really disliked how when you die, you just sit there and,uh, watch until the end of the round.

So, when my friend told me about this mod, my immediate reaction was "My dream has come true." I was thrilled beyond words.

Anyhow, I expected a simple EXE, but.. turns out I was wrong...

Now, first thing I should mention is that I'm not very good with files and stuff..

I Downloaded the Source DM plugin and I am currently stuck at step one.. Okay, go ahead and laugh.. I downloaded the metamod source thing (apparently a pre-requisite.) The crux of my problem seem sto be that, on the installation magge of metamod, step 3 dictates that you find a folder called "mods" or mod", but that's where the documentation falls short. Where is this folder located? Is it in the steam directory? Do you have to donwload source dedicated server or something else for that folder to exist?

Again, sorry if this sounds exceedingly stupid, but as I said, I am a noob. ;) I can't wait to get this mod up and runing.
Miggle
Old 09-23-2005 , 22:31  
Reply With Quote #2

Think of it this way. Those that laugh now where once in your shoes. Later they laugh at those who laugh at who don't know any better.

I'll write up instructions now. Give me about 15 min to write it up and proof it. I give you a step by step best I can.

-Miggle
Miggle
Old 09-24-2005 , 00:17  
Reply With Quote #3

ok, I know its going to look long but trust me, I went way over board with everything. It's honestly takes less than 2 min.

-Miggle
Old 09-24-2005 , 00:45  
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggle
ok, I know its going to look long but trust me, I went way over board with everything. It's honestly takes less than 2 min.

-Miggle
Allright.
anders_dog
Old 09-24-2005 , 00:51  
Reply With Quote #5

Miggle, were you going to post a link?

Fuzz -- yes, I'm pretty certain you need to have a dedicated server to run SourceMM. My servers are linux, so I can't definitely say one way or the other. Even if you don't *need* one, you'll find it better to keep your client and server separate.

So, first step would be to install the source dedicated server. IMHO anyway.
Miggle
Old 09-24-2005 , 00:58   Installation Instructions... Way overboard on the details...
Reply With Quote #6

These instructions is if you want to run the server. You do not have to go through all this if you want to connect to a server already running CSS DM.

Since Windows primary OS for over half the world, I’m assuming your using too. I am also going to assume you installed hl2 with a default installation path. If it’s different then you are going to have to adapt to the changes you made.

Ok there are two things you need. Save them both.

Metamod:Source - http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...emm/server.zip
CSS DM Files - http://www.tcwonline.org/~dvander/cs.../0.7/cssdm.zip

Since CSS DM requires Metamod, let’s start with that install…

Metamod:Source

We need to make some folders first. The folders and file you need to create are going to be in bold. user_name is going to be you steam ID.

c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user_name\counter-strike source\cstrike\addons\metamod

Now Right-click > New > Text Document and name it: metaplugins.ini
If you did it right it should change the look of the icon to a notebook pad with a little gear.

Open up metaplugins.ini and type this in the first line, then save and close:

Code:
Addons/cssdm/bin/cssdm_mm
Now inside that metamod folder create another folder called bin and move on (don’t close this window, just move to the next step)

Remember those two files you downloaded? One of those should be server.zip
Extract that. It extracts one file (sometimes a folder too)… server.dll

Please cut and paste server.dll into the bin folder.

Ok now there is one last part for metamod but it will be our last step since so many others where having problems (including myself).

Let’s recap a bit.
You should have something that looks like this:
Code:
c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user_name\counter-strike source\cstrike\addons

addons
   |-------metamod
             |--------bin
             |         |----server.dll
             |
             |--------metamod.ini
If you have that let’s move on to cssdm…

CSS DM Files

Remember that second download? It should be cssdm.zip
Extract that.
Now you should have a cssdm folder. Inside that folder an addons folder. Inside that another cssdm folder. Cut and paste that second cssdm folder in your addons folder.

Now your addons folder should look like this:
Code:
c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user_name\counter-strike source\cstrike\addons

addons
   |-------cssdm
   |         |--------bin
   |         |         |----cssdm_mm.dll
   |         |         |----cssdm_mm_i486.so
   |         |	
   |         |--------maps
   |         |         |----lots of map text file that I’m not going to type out :)
   |         |
   |         |----changelog.txt
   |         |----credits.txt
   |         |----cssdm.cfg
   |         |----license.txt
   |
   |-------metamod
             |--------bin
             |         |----server.dll
             |
             |--------metamod.ini
Ok now if that’s done then there is one last step. In cstrike directory there is a file called GameInfo.txt which needs to have a line added. Please do the next steps in the following order or Steam will over write the file.

Open up the GameInfo.txt and scroll down to the bottom of the text. You should see this:
Code:
SearchPaths
		{
			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
			Game				cstrike
			Game				hl2
		}
Now Start Steam
Add the GameBin line to GameInfo.txt and save and close
Code:
SearchPaths
		{
			GameBin			|gameinfo_path|addons/metamod/bin
			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
			Game				cstrike
			Game				hl2
		}
Create a copy of the counter strike shortcut
Right click and go to properties and change the following:

I suppose you could make a brand new shortcut but I wanted to keep that nifty little shooter guy for an icon. It gives it little more zest over windows default but hey whatever floats your boat.

Code:
Target: 
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user_name\counter-strike source\hl2.exe" -game cstrike -console 

Start in: 
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user_name\counter-strike source\"
Steam needs to be running in order for that shortcut you just made to work.

That shortcut will open Counter-Strike. To see if it works type meta in the console and if it displays something then it should all be complete.

Enjoy!

-Miggle
Old 09-24-2005 , 01:05  
Reply With Quote #7

Thanks alot!
Miggle
Old 09-24-2005 , 01:05  
Reply With Quote #8

sorry it took so long, I typed it up in word and copied and pasted into this dumb little box so I had to go through and edit it. I think I caught it all...

oh yeah, since my penguin box is a vista beta box atm, I don't have the instructions made out for that. maybe someone out there would be so kind and type css dm install for dummies for linux...

It'll be awhile till I put linux back on. sorry

-Miggle
immortaljin
Old 10-25-2008 , 19:31   Re: I need help...very badly
Reply With Quote #9

Mistake nvm

Last edited by immortaljin; 10-28-2008 at 16:32.