Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

What game server to run?

Post New Thread Reply   

Ren3gade
Old 06-25-2013 , 00:45   What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #1

Okay, well I used to run CS:S servers for years. I ran a popular RPG Jailbreak server and another minigames server. I had a blast doing it, and I just all around loved doing it. I ran a CS:S gaming clan that consisted of about 100+ members and it was fun.

I am wanting to get back into that.

Since I have been out of the game server game for awhile, I have a few questions.

I'm looking to run some fun & modded CS:S servers. But I want some original things. I want custom content, and something fun, and that wont get boring over time. I want it to be easily populated, and attract many players. So my question is, where should I look? What game mode? What mods?

I also will be looking for a coder to code custom content for my CS:S servers to make them original and add more fun to the communities servers. (I will be paying)

If you can answer my questions that would be great. I am looking to startup a very fun and active CS:S community, and possibly expand into CS:GO, 1.6, TF2, and GMod.

Thank you for the help.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 06-25-2013 , 01:06   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #2

Feel free to add me on steam, thetwistedpanda, minigames / css be my specality. /drunk
Old 06-25-2013 , 01:26   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #3

If you want to run a game server I suggest not putting a lot of time and effort into CS:S. over the past 4-5 months it has been slowly dying out.
Old 06-25-2013 , 01:44   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #4

Although I'd have to agree with Fearts. In the past year we've easily lost ~20,000 regular players. Average is about 30k.
Old 06-25-2013 , 01:48   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #5

What game(s) do you think I could be successful at populating a server with?

Last edited by Ren3gade; 06-25-2013 at 01:51.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-25-2013 , 09:23   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren3gade View Post
What game(s) do you think I could be successful at populating a server with?
Well, since most CS:S plugins work in CS:GO, there's always that. Although configuring a CS:GO server adds some new challenges due to the new configuration files it added (gamemodes_server.txt).

TF2 seems to be another popular game, but don't expect it to work like CS:S does.
Old 06-25-2013 , 11:18   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Well, since most CS:S plugins work in CS:GO, there's always that. Although configuring a CS:GO server adds some new challenges due to the new configuration files it added (gamemodes_server.txt).

TF2 seems to be another popular game, but don't expect it to work like CS:S does.
Yeah I think I'm going to start with TF2 because it seems to be the most popular by far.

Is it much more difficult to setup than CS:S?
lyric
Veteran Member
Old 06-25-2013 , 13:31   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #8

tf2 is popular but there is an extreme overabundance of tf2 servers already. also the stats gathered on the popularity of tf2 dont take into account idel players which makes up the lionshare of tf2 players these days thanks to trading.
Old 06-25-2013 , 13:33   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren3gade View Post
Yeah I think I'm going to start with TF2 because it seems to be the most popular by far.

Is it much more difficult to setup than CS:S?
Not really unless you turn on extra features such as Replay.

Have you ever played TF2 before? It might not hurt to get a feel for the game before deciding to host it. It'd also help if you knew the differences between the different game modes, particularly between the standard modes, Arena mode, and Mann vs. Machine mode.

Game modes are:

Capture the Flag: Both teams are trying to steal the Intelligence briefcase from the other team's Intelligence room and bring it back to their own Intelligence room.

Special Delivery: Both team are trying to steal the (single) Australium briefcase and delivery it to the top of the rocket.

Symmetric Control Points (aka 5CP): Both teams are both attacking and defending. 1-2 Control Points are in play at any time... either the uncaptured center point or the two closest points of each team to each other.

King of the Hill: Both teams are trying to capture the sole control point and hold it until their timer runs out.

Attack/Defend Control Points: BLU is attacking. RED is defending. BLU wins by capturing all control points. RED wins by letting the time run out. Can have multiple stages.

Territory Control: Both teams start out owning two of the 4 center points. Each round only has two of those points in play chosen randomly before the round starts. Areas outside the current round are inaccessible due to closed shutters and other obstructions.

Payload: BLU is attacking, RED is defending. Similar to Attack/Defend Control Points, but only the payload cart can capture points. BLU players standing next to the cart moves it unless a RED player is also nearby. Can have multiple stages.

Payload Race: BLU and RED both have payload carts and a single control point. Can have multiple stages. Cart tracks tend to be next to each other in the first two stages of a multi-stage map, but separated by some distance in the third.

Arena: Each team has to kill all players of the other team. No respawns. 1/3 of the players sit out each round unless tf_arena_use_queue is set to 0.

MvM: 6 players fight against waves of bots. Weapons upgrades can be purchased using the money bots drop. Similar in concept to Killing Floor.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-25-2013 at 13:46.
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-25-2013 , 15:35   Re: What game server to run?
Reply With Quote #10

>>Ren3gade
Spoiler

>>lyric
Spoiler

>>Powerlord
Spoiler
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s