Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How much servers on this hardware

Post New Thread Reply   

NRG21
Old 06-28-2013 , 11:48   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #21

I think TF2 does not need so much resources like css.

But why do you need a graphics card for server hosting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman315 View Post
Spoiler
I'll try that.
kdawgmaster
Old 06-28-2013 , 11:51   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG21 View Post
Yup, thanks But you're hosting gameservers in virtual machines on ESXi?

How many slots does the css-servers have (are there players on the server?)? And which operating system are you using? Maybe a custom kernel? I can't believe that 20 css-servers are running on a AMD A6-3670. Then i wouldn't have to upgrade from my i7 950 to an i7 3770. Would be great if you could describe if there are some customization's to run 20 servers on that hardware.
Another thing iv been looking into is if ur going to have all the physics objects or not. Ur able to download a plug in for css servers to disable all physic items to help improve reg. ( meaning less stress on system hardware. )

for me i wouldnt operate anymore servers more then how many cores i have in my system. Prim reason is if u set each server to a value of one core each this will allow for best possible performance. Again others are doing it differently but i go for near perfect reg which my csgo server gets with no issues at all.

The way ur going to tell with ur css server and how its performance is with choke and lose. This is more meant for the sake of the network but when u have a choke more then 5 reg goes WAY down.

Quote:

I'll try that.
The video card does some basic rendering processes for the server.

For example.

CSS if there is a computer prop and its been shot. Its the server that renders it falling apart and gets passed onto the other computer. This is so that people can play with the same things on the screen with little variables creating a difference. This is my understanding of what the video card does for the server. I have a 6850 in mine

Last edited by kdawgmaster; 06-28-2013 at 11:53.
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-28-2013 , 12:09   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
I'll try that.
Because it helps with the physics of 500 projectiles, and 764 explosions, on my Wave 666 servers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgmaster View Post
Another thing iv been looking into is if ur going to have all the physics objects or not. Ur able to download a plug in for css servers to disable all physic items to help improve reg. ( meaning less stress on system hardware. )
That sounds like a bad idea....
Quote:
for me i wouldnt operate anymore servers more then how many cores i have in my system. Prim reason is if u set each server to a value of one core each this will allow for best possible performance. Again others are doing it differently but i go for near perfect reg which my csgo server gets with no issues at all.
I have tried assigning servers to cores and find that it does impact lerp in a very bad way.
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s
kdawgmaster
Old 06-28-2013 , 13:03   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman315 View Post
Because it helps with the physics of 500 projectiles, and 764 explosions, on my Wave 666 servers

That sounds like a bad idea....

I have tried assigning servers to cores and find that it does impact lerp in a very bad way.
That maybe true for css and tf2 but i had a improvement in csgo for assigning a core. SCRDS is a single core application anyway so at best it will only take advantage of one physical CPU. Allocating cores to a server will or should atleast stop it from using one core to another which holds nothing for it.

And every server iv been in that has objects disabled that require physics have out standing registry for hit boxes and everything. but again this is for something like css or csgo. Since tf2 may require it it might be a different story. Im not saying im right its just things iv experienced

Last edited by kdawgmaster; 06-28-2013 at 13:06.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-28-2013 , 19:24   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Any particular reason you'd think so?

I'd think just the opposite. TF2 has the replay system (which takes server resources), many more weapon types (including projectile weapons, which I don't think exist in CS:S), as well as moving map parts such as trains. The main difference is that TF2 doesn't have bots enabled by default (but they do exist; they just don't understand all game types).

If anything, an MvM TF2 server would require a lot more resources than a CS:S server, because MvM has a mandatory requirement of being able to support 24 bots and 4 trains operating at once.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-28-2013 at 19:26.
captaindeterprimary
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-28-2013 , 22:04   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
That maybe true for css and tf2 but i had a improvement in csgo for assigning a core. SCRDS is a single core application anyway so at best it will only take advantage of one physical CPU. Allocating cores to a server will or should atleast stop it from using one core to another which holds nothing for it.
That's not been my experience with HLDS or SCRDS, sure one mvm server will use 70% of one core for about 1~2 seconds when spawning the robots, but the other servers will fall over and use another core seamlessly. I have seen two Wave 666 servers use a single core @ 100% for 2~5 seconds when the crit soldiers start spamming 493 rockets and a tank blows up, but then another core will take the over what needs to be used ~3%. That's the only reason I have two graphics cards on a server.

I will throw up a cs:s server tonight or tomorrow and play around with it. Never actually played it, I have it, just never had an interest.
Last edited by ; Today at 08:20 AM. Reason: Get rid of s

Last edited by captaindeterprimary; 06-28-2013 at 22:14.
htcarnage
Old 06-29-2013 , 01:03   Re: How much servers on this hardware
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:

And every server iv been in that has objects disabled that require physics have out standing registry for hit boxes and everything. but again this is for something like css or csgo. Since tf2 may require it it might be a different story. Im not saying im right its just things iv experienced
Where would one find such a plugin to disable server physics for objects?