Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

(probably stupid) questions about Metamod

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Supergirl
Old 09-04-2018 , 00:18   (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

After seeing this topic https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=310353 I need to know if I'm right or wrong about this, having into account that my mother language isn't english.
The official AMX Mod X site is this: https://www.amxmodx.org/ and not this: http://amxmod.net/
So, why and how the hack the "AMX Mod Dev" from amxmodx.net has more than 1600 posts? I mean, isn't that "sick" (in a bad way)?
Another question, if https://www.amxmodx.org/ is the official AMX Mod X site, should we be downloading Metamod from http://metamod.org/ or https://www.amxmodx.org/downloads.php (Metamod . v1.21.1-am (all OSes)) - I ask this because last time I checked, there was a small diference in metamod files' size, when downloading from amxmodx.org and metamod.org (I was wondering that one of them is updated and the other isn't, if this is the case, why would AMX Mod X have metamod v1.21 (most updated according to version) and the official metamod offer v1.20?)
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-04-2018 , 05:21   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

About metamod, there 3 versions that you can use:
- Metamod 1.21-am: The version maintained by AMXX. It's based on the official metamod but has been updated essentially to support OSX, latest GoldSrc updates and has minor internal change.
- Metamod 1.21p38: This version is maintained by jkivilin and is essentially an enhanced version of metamod to support dynamic link-entities and automatic detection of Mod DLL. Performance should be also a little better due to more aggressive optimizations.
- Metamod-r: If you are using ReHLDS, then you can try this version. Based on the original metamod, It contains a large number of performance optimizations.

Don't use original metamod, it's outdated.

Use metamod-am, If you're using OSX or want to use the safest version on the known mods
Use metamod-p, if you're using some unknown HL1 mod or are concerned about performance
Use metamod-r, if you are using ReHLDS.

Since no one use OSX, If you can, I would try -r, otherwise -p and if you have issues, -am.

About AMX, I'm not totally sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "how the hack the "AMX Mod Dev" from amxmodx.net has more than 1600 posts"?
Old 09-04-2018 , 10:49   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

To see if I understood
amxmodx.net isn't official (since you did not say anything about it), so it shouldn't be used. metamod.org is official, but is outdated, so it shouldn't be used too.
amxmodx.org is official, and it should be used.
You would use metamod-r, preferably, but my question is: isn't ReHLDS unofficial? I mean, not that I (and everyone else apparently) can even download official HLDS using SteamCMD without recurring to appmanifest files created by us (trying to say that Valve doesn't give a s about current HL condition), but should we totally abandon them too?
So: ReHLDS, metamod-r and amxmodx.org should be what we're using, in terms of what is most updated, right?

Last edited by Supergirl; 09-04-2018 at 10:54.
HamletEagle
Old 09-04-2018 , 11:04   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

amxmodx.net does not exist. amxmod.net(without the last x) is the website for AMXMod, it is another project unrelated with AMXModX.
Old 09-04-2018 , 11:15   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

My mistake, I was reffering to amxmod.net - so you are right. But according to this thread https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=310353 and amxmodx.org "amxmod.net distributing malware with backdoors" Dec 09, 2015 13:16 - amxmod.net should never be used anyways, right?
About the other questions, feel free to answer them. Thanks!
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-04-2018 , 13:25   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

AMXMod is nothing to do with us, it is a completely different project run by completely different people (who we've caught doing shady stuff in the past as per the news post on the AMXModX site you mention).
Old 09-04-2018 , 13:50   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
About AMX, I'm not totally sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "how the hack the "AMX Mod Dev" from amxmodx.net has more than 1600 posts"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
Because he can do it?
About this, I meant why would the guy keep working on AMXMod since no one uses it, as someone commented in the amxmod.net topic - HamletEagle answered this but it doesn't really convince me (anyways I think it's better to discuss this more deeply in the real topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
metamod.org is official, but is outdated, so it shouldn't be used.
amxmodx.org is official, and it should be used.
You would use metamod-r, preferably, but my question is: isn't ReHLDS unofficial? I mean, not that I (and everyone else apparently) can even download official HLDS using SteamCMD without recurring to appmanifest files created by us (trying to say that Valve doesn't give a s about current HL condition), but should we totally abandon them too?
So: ReHLDS, metamod-r and amxmodx.org should be what we're using, in terms of what is most updated, right?
Above are my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
amxmodx.net does not exist. amxmod.net(without the last x) is the website for AMXMod, it is another project unrelated with AMXModX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
AMXMod is nothing to do with us, it is a completely different project run by completely different people (who we've caught doing shady stuff in the past as per the news post on the AMXModX site you mention).
I'm clear on that. Thank you both, HamletEagle and asherkin.

Last edited by Supergirl; 09-04-2018 at 13:56.
Arkshine
Old 09-04-2018 , 13:55   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

I gave you possibilities. It's up to you to use whatever you want based on your needs.
Old 09-04-2018 , 14:03   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

So, I think this is solved and now I'm enlightened about this. Thank you, Arkshine.
HamletEagle
Old 09-04-2018 , 14:16   Re: (probably stupid) questions about Metamod

Why are you asking us why someone else does something? Ask that person if it bothers you so much.