Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?

Post New Thread Reply   

Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 05-09-2021 , 11:29   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #11

He means that if another plugin changes the damage received by the tank through hooking OnTakeDamage too, you may output the wrong results,
cause SM may execute your plugin first, and the one that changes the damage next.

I usually use the "OnTakeDamagePost"/"OnTakeDamageAlivePost" hook, but I'm not sure if this solves these cases

I already had a lot of problems trying to calculate things on Post hooks (not triggering functions or outputting different values like attacker)

I don't know if for the player entity you could deal with these situations, but with prop_physics I know this happens.

Still is a good code snippet (as always) and may work in most scenarios.
Old 07-15-2021 , 02:22   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #12

Hi, Dragokas, I want to ask an unrelated question:

Do we need SDKUnhook in the "tank_killed" event?

I searched the forum and most people just said "SDKHooks automatically handles unhooking on disconnect".

But, will "automatically unhooking" be after Tank death?
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2021 , 05:57   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxx View Post
Do we need SDKUnhook in the "tank_killed" event?
It depends on your needs.

Quote:
I searched the forum and most people just said "SDKHooks automatically handles unhooking on disconnect".
Yes, when disconnected and when the entity is destroyed (no more valid).

Quote:
But, will "automatically unhooking" be after Tank death?
No, not instantly.
Firstly, incap event occurs, than death event, and than disconnect & auto-unhook.
Each stage has a duration of about 3-5 seconds.

So, as you can see in 1st example, to measure damage accurately I manually set g_bDied flag when it should be really considered so, which is when the damage > health elapsed.
Surely, instead of flag I could use SDKUnhook.

You must understand that the problem with tank starting on more earlier stage than death: it is an incap event (the animation when the tank is falling on the ground),
when you can still shoot the tank and that damage still coming to OnTankDamage callback, and that's why I used above logic.
I can't tell you whether damage still coming to OnTankDamage after tank death occurs (I didn't check), but SDK hook is still valid at the moment.

There is an alternative type of hook, called SDKHook_OnTakeDamageAlive, which prevents callback from catching damage when the client is died.
But it is not applicable for this case due to described "incap" specific, where SDKHook_OnTakeDamageAlive still catching the damage because the client is still alive.

Last edited by Dragokas; 07-15-2021 at 06:16.
fdxx
Old 07-15-2021 , 08:09   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
It depends on your needs.

Yes, when disconnected and when the entity is destroyed (no more valid).

No, not instantly.
Firstly, incap event occurs, than death event, and than disconnect & auto-unhook.
Each stage has a duration of about 3-5 seconds.

So, as you can see in 1st example, to measure damage accurately I manually set g_bDied flag when it should be really considered so, which is when the damage > health elapsed.
Surely, instead of flag I could use SDKUnhook.

You must understand that the problem with tank starting on more earlier stage than death: it is an incap event (the animation when the tank is falling on the ground),
when you can still shoot the tank and that damage still coming to OnTankDamage callback, and that's why I used above logic.
I can't tell you whether damage still coming to OnTankDamage after tank death occurs (I didn't check), but SDK hook is still valid at the moment.

There is an alternative type of hook, called SDKHook_OnTakeDamageAlive, which prevents callback from catching damage when the client is died.
But it is not applicable for this case due to described "incap" specific, where SDKHook_OnTakeDamageAlive still catching the damage because the client is still alive.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer!
3ipKa
Old 09-21-2022 , 02:58   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #15

Hi, Dragokas! What about witch? IDK, maybe i missed something, but I am faced with the fact that i can correctly catch gunfire damage, but not fire damage to witch.
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 09-21-2022 , 07:27   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #16

Probably the same method for the witch should work, why do you think the damage is not calculated correctly?

The witch dies after a while in fire, so sometimes the damage won't be the same as her HP.

Last edited by Marttt; 09-21-2022 at 07:46.
3ipKa
Old 09-21-2022 , 12:37   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #17

I tried event hurt and OnTakeDamagePost, and all in all i got only 75 HP of damage from fire to witch, made tests on almost clean server. I noticed, fire makes 1.0 point of damage each time, is it ok?
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 09-21-2022 , 13:23   Re: [L4D] How accurately calculate tank damage with SDKHook?
Reply With Quote #18

I think, you'll better create a separate topic.