Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods

Post New Thread Reply   

mydas
Old 05-06-2008 , 05:14   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #11

No, only the first aspect is server oriented. I thought I made it clear ...

My heroes: SLAYER, Akasha, Achilles, Robo-Ky,Justice, Potemkin, Juggernaut, Mirage, Leviathan, Tyrael, Marduk, Omega Red
Send a message via Yahoo to mydas
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 05-06-2008 , 10:09   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #12

1. server owners don't have to put heroes with lots of models and sounds on, they choose to.

2. server owners have the choice of how many heroes can be chosen at different levels/what level each hero is.

3. server owners have the choice to unbalance the cvars and make "crazy" heroes.

What good is Flash, when Beast is faster but has so much more ? Some servers have flash faster than beast. or they have beast at a higher level.

servers have the choice to balance or unbalance the heroes, it's their stupidity that they don't balance them
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
vittu
SuperHero Moderator
Old 05-06-2008 , 19:30   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #13

I'm with Emp on this one, not much I can do about all that when server ops themselves are the ones doing it (even on points 2 and 3).
  1. I have been coding heroes to have options to disable the code for using models lately. It's up to the server op what they want to do, though if they are using mass files a downloadurl is up to them.

2. Extensive documentation I have no time for, I haven't had access to many things to be able to change much but I've slowly requested some further access now and my plan is to add the server op documentation (install, levels, ect.) to the AM wiki similar to brad's usage for his galileo plugin as seen here: http://wiki.amxmodx.org/Map_Chooser_Plus ... As far as game play information i don't think this would do much help. (I'm trying to get website access to edit main site as well as creating a new svn to take care of quick fixes for the next release)

3. I could mandate that heroes posted need to have reasonable (ie set some max values) cvar settings in the way the level cvar is mandated to be 10 or less.
    Offtopic sorta: I really don't have time to approve heroes so it would be mandatory at the posting new submissions level not just approved section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydas View Post
It appears to me that SHMOD is pretty much dead, as opposed to WC3FT or other mods.
I don't totally agree with this seeing as how the stats haven't changed much: http://www.amxmodx.org/stats.php
We've never had more servers that wc3:ft and I don't think we ever will and many of the other mods are not doing nearly as well.
Code:
Statistics for: SuperHero
Total Servers: 261, having 4520 max players.
Total Players: 989, at 21.88% capacity (118 bots not included)
Player/Server Ratio: 3.79 players per server

Last edited by vittu; 05-06-2008 at 19:41.
Send a message via AIM to vittu Send a message via MSN to vittu Send a message via Yahoo to vittu
guy
Old 05-06-2008 , 20:19   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #14

Creating an "official superhero server" as a paradigm with a cookie cutter setup made available to get here could be a move in the right direction for server owners to get a right idea of how to set their servers up.
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2008 , 21:11   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #15

ewww no reason to cookie cut shero mod. What attracted me to shero mod in first place was it's vaste difference and almost unlimited modding abilities including adding own heroes etc. This for me is beyond more fun than say war3ft. The only reason ppl use war3ft more I think is cuz:

1, they are lazy, war3ft == install and go
2, not enough ppl can script to create custom imaginative heroes. (i think this is where the biggest problem lies)
3, xp balance can be a chore o.O
Old 05-08-2008 , 01:17   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #16

well I have though about this "philosophy" or w/e for a long time now and it is true, in my server (max lvl 25) I do believe that the higher levels have an advantage, but that's why I put some heros (with level caps) available for the lower levels.

also, the maximum hp is around 175, which even a lvl 3 (minimum level in my server) can get in my server.

~edit: erm edit xD, clicked submit when I didnt even finish >

anyways, the thing is, to help balance things out, the higher level heros shouldn't just be heros that add massive hp, but should have some unique-ness to it. and fast exp would help, until mid levels, where leveling should get a bit harder.

Last edited by 1sh0t2killz; 05-08-2008 at 01:21. Reason: clicked submit when I didnt even finish >:(
guy
Old 05-11-2008 , 22:59   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang View Post
ewww no reason to cookie cut shero mod. What attracted me to shero mod in first place was it's vaste difference and almost unlimited modding abilities including adding own heroes etc. This for me is beyond more fun than say war3ft. The only reason ppl use war3ft more I think is cuz:

1, they are lazy, war3ft == install and go
2, not enough ppl can script to create custom imaginative heroes. (i think this is where the biggest problem lies)
3, xp balance can be a chore o.O
The way I was looking at it was to address the problem that SH mod doesn't attract many new players because of downloading way too many things. Having a model server could show the potential that shero mod has.
Old 05-14-2008 , 06:12   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp` View Post
1. server owners don't have to put heroes with lots of models and sounds on, they choose to.

2. server owners have the choice of how many heroes can be chosen at different levels/what level each hero is.

3. server owners have the choice to unbalance the cvars and make "crazy" heroes.

What good is Flash, when Beast is faster but has so much more ? Some servers have flash faster than beast. or they have beast at a higher level.

servers have the choice to balance or unbalance the heroes, it's their stupidity that they don't balance them
It seems to me that all you are doing is defending current configuration. What makes you think it is simply optimal ? Chances are it is not, I suggest you become open for improvements.

Of course server owners have the choice to balance or unbalance cvars. But if a standard server-pack is proposed, all new servers will be balanced by default (as opposed to imbalanced by default).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittu
I'm with Emp on this one, not much I can do about all that when server ops themselves are the ones doing it (even on points 2 and 3).
If we take a look at the already-approved heroes and suggest some improvements which you agree on, will you apply them ?

My heroes: SLAYER, Akasha, Achilles, Robo-Ky,Justice, Potemkin, Juggernaut, Mirage, Leviathan, Tyrael, Marduk, Omega Red
mydas
Old 09-08-2013 , 09:21   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #19

...and now SHmod is "deader" than ever.
Wish we did something about it then, and I still there was done something now. Who's still active?

Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-14-2013 , 16:02   Re: Reviving SHMOD - call to arms for mods
Reply With Quote #20

There aren't too many people active on here now. Zero to a few posts every week. I haven't heard from vittu in a long time. The CS 1.6 community has declined even further, so many developers have also moved on to other games or SourceMod. Nice to see you again mydas
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`