Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Virgina Tech Memorial

Post New Thread Reply   

Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 04-25-2007 , 20:48   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #41

Ugh...when will people learn how weapon purchasing systems work...

The "check" everyone is referring to is a CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK, not a mental health background check. Point me to the law that says if you have undergone treatment in a mental hospital you shouldn't be able to own a gun, and I'll show you an abuse to the 2nd, and 5th Amendment.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
Cynicalkitty
Zero Posts
Old 04-25-2007 , 23:24   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Ugh...when will people learn how weapon purchasing systems work...

The "check" everyone is referring to is a CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK, not a mental health background check. Point me to the law that says if you have undergone treatment in a mental hospital you shouldn't be able to own a gun, and I'll show you an abuse to the 2nd, and 5th Amendment.
Well im not a huge weapons person so I wouldn't know.

But I don't think thats any reason to give a gun to a mentally unstable person.

Maybe there should be a law against it being

within a certain amount of years they may be able to own a gun.

But laws like that are useless, since they'll get a gun one way or another.

Though this arguement should probably be transferred to the 'Gun control" thread.
Send a message via AIM to Cynicalkitty
Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 04-26-2007 , 01:24   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #43

There was no way of knowing as a gun store owner that the guy was mentally unstable. He showed no signs as he went in and out of the store and did his business. Anyone who tries to pass the blame to the gun store owner should be flogged publicly. The fact of the matter is, there is no fault in this but the shooters. The teachers and faculty did what they could, the court did what they were supposed to when he involuntarily checked himself out of a mental institution. This was premeditated homicide and suicide. Furthermore, the rules of being involuntarily admitted to a mental institution mean that you can appeal, but you must go before the judge. So long as you pose no threat to yourself or anyone else in the courts eyes, as judged by the doctors, you are free to go about your business. Cho was able to do this by not showing any signs of being mentally disturbed while he was in the hospital, hence the doctors had no way of knowing what was going on. This whole thing is a tragedy from the mind of a suicidal and homicidal madman. Nothing could have legally been done to actually stop ANY of this.

Being in a mental institution isn't a crime, hence there is no record on the books (criminally speaking) that anyone would have seen. There is no law on the books that states if you are mentally unstable you cannot own a gun. Nor should there be. While those who pose a threat to our society may come out from time to time, they will somehow get a gun one way or another, legally or illegally.

I would rather not be in a society where big brother polices everyone and harps on every single word that I say. This isnt something that can be resolved with the passage of a few laws, and it isnt something that can be fixed over time. Its unfortunately something that a society with the freedoms that we have is just going to have to live with.

And on the topic of getting a gun illegally...

You can get a gun illegally as a criminal and never be arrested for it. Why you may ask? Its simple. Plead the 5th. You cannot be forced to give up incriminating evidence against yourself, even if you are an ex-con and you have illegally purchased a firearm out of someone's trunk.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
bigman11
Old 04-26-2007 , 16:48   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #44

why hasnt this topic been deleted. Has amx not found out that hes lieing.
Atleast unpin it.
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 04-26-2007 , 16:54   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #45

It's a memorial nevertheless.
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 04-26-2007 , 18:23   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #46

It hasn't been trashed because it's been sanitized. His original post starting the thread was fine.
Old 04-26-2007 , 23:01   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #47

Ok Im just curious about this but,

This whole manifesto business, should they have made it as big a deal as they really made it out to be?

I mean yeah he sent in all this evidence, pretty much pointing him as the killer, but isn't that what he wanted in the first place?

Why else would he send in a Dvd, 49 something pictures and a 1053063906 word essay in to the biggest News Broadcasting station in the world.

We are pretty much GIVING him what he wanted to result in all of this.

My biggest fear right now are copycat killers,

kids who are sitting at home, hating their lives, watching tv, and thinking they might be the one to do that next,

Maybe people will actually listen to me if I do this
'point of view'.

Because God know's that people will listen to you and you'll be famous either dead or in jail.

Our society is so stupid, and selfish.

Is the associated press so desperate for news that they want another killing spree to occur?

I just have this feeling like if Columbine wasn't as hyped up as it was made, somehow I doubt this would have happened.

He even listed Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris as martyrs.

I mean its important to get the news to the people, but how much is too much?
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2007 , 23:03   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #48

Our society fails.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 04-26-2007 , 23:29   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial
Reply With Quote #49

youfail.org yep
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 04-26-2007 , 23:33   Re: Virgina Tech Memorial