Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.

Post New Thread Reply   

Gibins
Old 08-17-2023 , 12:50   CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #1

I have read a ton of posts here about people who can't get fastdl to work on their servers and I have gone through all of their solutions on my own and they just don't work and I'm totally stumped.

I'm hosting a cs1.6 server on a Hetzner VPS. The server runs fine, but I can't get the faster download to work. I have set up an apache server to put the download files in, and I know it's set up properly because I also host Quake3 servers which use it and everyone who plays on those has 0 issues with the fast auto download.

I have it set to sv_downloadurl "http://167.235.195.116/cstrike/" in the config. I check ingame using rcon and the ssh window and it confirms that, yes, it is sv_downloadurl "http://167.235.195.116/cstrike/".

I've tried a bunch of different combinations of commands like
sv_allowdownload 1/0
sv_allowupload 1/0
sv_allow_dlfile 1/0
and no combination of them seems to work.

Just to test it, the only thing I'm trying to get to work with it is 1 map file, de_cpl_mill.bsp. So I'm not trying to get a bunch of stuff working at once and wondering why some stuff works and others don't. I just can't get this 1 thing to work. It's a 3.5KB file which takes 2 minutes to download, meanwhile I have multiple 20KB Quake3 files that download in 3 seconds, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Only thing I can think of at this point is that I didn't use steamcmd to download hlds, I was advised to use hlds_build_8684. At this point, I'm either overlooking something really simple and I'm going to feel really really dumb, or maybe the version of hlds I'm using is the problem.

If anyone has some insight into this, please let me know because I'm going mad trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-17-2023 , 23:09   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #2

Always use the latest official version from SteamCMD. No reason to try and help unless you're using valid versions (versions that can actually replicate the scenario). Are you using a valid, legal, purchased version of the game to connect to this server also?

One thing that you can check is if the fast download server URL is being shown in the client when "developer" is set to 1.
Old 08-18-2023 , 05:10   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #3

Yeah I'm using a non-pirate version of CS1.6. It's actually wild, I wake up and am like "okay, I'll try using developer 1 to see". I join the server and it says it's using my auto download location as primary download location. I load de_cpl_mill.... it just works. I have 0 clue why since I haven't changed anything at all from when it wasn't working yesterday. The only thing I did was use "developer 1" like you suggested, and now it works even with developer 0 on. Well, thanks for the help. I can only assume that for some reason, using developer 1 must have done something lmao. I wouldn't have thought to try it. I'll try using a bigger map with more files and see if it still works, and if I run into any issues I'll post again. Thanks.
SpirT
Old 08-18-2023 , 16:48   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #4

It would be nice to know how you developed your Fast Download server... Your server might be either missconfigured or it might not have the required permissions.

Also, the / at the end of the URL should be removed, having only "http://IP/cstrike"
Old 08-18-2023 , 21:32   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #5

As far as developing the server, it's just an apache server I made in the vps I host the game from. It's running ubuntu.

apt install apache2
systemct1 enable apache2
systeamct2 start apache2
Set the sv_downloadip to the one I posted earlier

I don't think it's misconfigured or needed permissions because I've hosted a killing floor server until recently and currently host Quake3 servers on this same vps and their fast downloads worked perfectly fine.

With that final dash on the "http://IP/cstrike" it's there in my config and it still works. It wouldn't surprise me if it made a difference and for some reason caused the fast dl to not work on someone else's server though. I swapped between using no dash at the end or using the dash at the end in my many attempts at this before, so it was a variable I was keeping in mind.

It's honestly wild that it just began working and I have no idea why. I restarted the vps multiple times over the course of working on it, no luck. I restarted my computer, no luck. Tried a bunch of different configs and cvar combinations, no luck. But then I wake up one morning and try it, just happening to use the "developer 1" command, now it works... very cool.

As far as what fysiks said about using the steamcmd version, I set up another HLDS using the version from steamcmd like they recommended and the fast download works just fine. The developer.valvesoftware page on HLDS says to use ReHLDS since it's more secure and has bugfixes, so I apply that to the steamcmd version, fastdl still works fine. I honestly have no idea what the holdup was before. Not like I'm amazing at setting up game servers, but I've done it for quite a few games, so the whole time I was just thinking "I swear I'm doing this correctly. Why doesn't it work?" Just for it to begin working after I change nothing.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-18-2023 , 22:20   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirT View Post
Also, the / at the end of the URL should be removed, having only "http://IP/cstrike"
I almost suggested this but I checked two active servers that I help manage and one has the trailing slash and the other doesn't and we're not having issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibins View Post
"I swear I'm doing this correctly. Why doesn't it work?" Just for it to begin working after I change nothing.
Well, the engine and the games were originally developed more than 20 years ago. There have been updates but that doesn't mean everything was fixed. So, I always just remember that it's likely to have some strange things happen now and then.
Old 08-20-2023 , 19:26   Re: CS1.6 Server FastDL Doesn't Seem to Work.
Reply With Quote #7

try

Quote:
sv_send_resources "1"
sv_send_logos "0"
sv_allowdownload "0"
sv_allowupload "0"
sv_filetransfercompression "0"
sv_allow_dlfile "0"

Last edited by mlibre; 08-20-2023 at 19:29.