Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

css server problem

Post New Thread Reply   

adem
Old 12-27-2004 , 19:55   css server problem
Reply With Quote #1

For some reason, when I start a css dedicated server, everyone's ping, including my own stays at 200+. I had no problems with my cs 1.6 server, everyone's ping was fine and all that good stuff. Any ideas what's wrong with my css ded server? I read something about css dedicated server needing forwarding of some port or another, but I don't know anything about that.
f1del1ty.oXi
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2004 , 20:03  
Reply With Quote #2

Well forwarding a port = no one being able to SEE your server. IT doesn't cause lag of that sort.

CS:S costs alot of CPU and memory usage to run, alot more than CS 1.6. IF your computer isn't up to it, then there's your problem.

As for if it's a good computer, then check the sTEAM forums and see if anyone else has had this problem as well.
FrozenWire
Old 12-28-2004 , 09:38  
Reply With Quote #3

First: post your specs of the computer your running this on. After reading alot of posts and dealing with servers for 3 years I am learning that a "good" computer for a server could be anything from a 200mhz with some 192mb ram card and up. I am assuming its alot faster than that but I have to ask.

Second: Are you playing on the same computer that the server is running on? The HL2 engine is alot more abusive on a computer than the original so playing on the same computer with alot of people connected could lag if your computer cant handle it.
http://frozenwire.com
Send a message via AIM to FrozenWire
adem
Old 01-04-2005 , 22:58  
Reply With Quote #4

Sorry for taking so long to reply:

My computer can handle hl2 and mods very well: radeon 9700pro graphics card, athlon 2600+ (1.9ghz), 512MB ram.
I just had my friend join the server alone and his ping was fine and everything ran smoothly.. but when I joined, it lagged terribly. Do I need more ram? Better processor in order to run both well at the same time?
f1del1ty.oXi
Veteran Member
Old 01-04-2005 , 23:09  
Reply With Quote #5

this is a common problem, and no one has figured out why it is, as I've never noticed this problem but some of my friends have. it's not HLDS, because neither version works, it's not AMXX or AMX because you can uncomment it and it shouldn't have an effect on the lag, it's something else though, so I've been meaning to look into this but I'm really busy with finals...but I'll do some research hopefully soon.
adem
Old 01-05-2005 , 00:26  
Reply With Quote #6

Thanks for the hospitality.. It wouldn't be amx or amxx.. cuz there isn't a version out for css yet.. right?