Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.

Post New Thread Reply   

voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 03-09-2007 , 23:52   VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #1

I'm sure many people are familar with plugins that allow players to issue sounds when a keyword such as "haha" is typed in chat.

I just one upped it.

You see, bots appear to have a fake voice comm, wouldnt it be neat to use this system fake voice chats from players, and add on top of it that it's global and everyone (dead and alive & accross teams) people hear it.

This plugin does that.

One of the problem with sound plugins, is they are spammy, everyone can issue sounds at the same time and it gives you a headache. This plugin allows the server operator to set a cost for playing sounds.

By default, sounds cost $100 per second to issue, sounds under 1 second are $100. Server admins can tweak the cost per second.

On top of that, server admins can set it so only one sound plays at a time, other players must wait for the sound already playing to finish before they can do their own sound. (This is default behavior) Take note, only one sound can be played at a time with this system, if another sound is issued before the one playing is finished, the older one will be cut off.

To install, it requires Metamod: Source, simply unzip the file into the addons directory and add addons\VCSounds\bin\vcsounds_mm.dll to your metaplugins.ini.

Once installed, you can go ingame and type "vc" in console to see a list of valid sounds, along with the price it costs to play that sound, then it's "vc <soundname>" to issue the sound. These are intended to be bound to a key for quick access.

For server ops, there are 3 cvars:

vcsounds_soundcost = cost per second to play a sound, sounds under 1 second cost as much as a 1 second sound.
vcsounds_delay = The delay between a player can issue a new sound, 60 seconds default
vcsounds_forcewait = Don't allow anyone else to issue sounds until the one playing is finished.

This is currently only for windows and CS:S, I am unsure if the fake bot voice comm is available in other modifications. If there is enough interest in this I will make a linux port.

It also includes some default sounds.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VCSounds.zip (361.0 KB, 588 views)
PureSpider
Old 03-10-2007 , 06:00   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #2

damn nice
gimme that linux port!
tcviper
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2007 , 08:39   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #3

Would be handy to know how to add sounds since it doesnt auto pick them up!?!
Inspector Javert
Old 03-10-2007 , 09:59   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcviper View Post
Would be handy to know how to add sounds since it doesnt auto pick them up!?!
To add sounds just put them in addons/VCSounds/sounds, they will be auto-detected.

Make sure they are HL2 compatible though, because I had division by zero errors on the engine function that calculates the length, since a non-HL2 compatible sound wouldnt work anyway I didn't bother just making it a text file with manually inputted sounds/lengths
-=CsFF=- Eagle
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-12-2007 , 13:34   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #5

Great idea. Please make a Linux version.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 08-17-2010 , 08:58   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #6

I was thinking about this earlier and didn't know someone had already done it. Any chance on getting the source code from this? I'm very interested in how it was done.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 08-17-2010 , 11:40   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #7

I spoke to Voogru about this a while back, he said he had lost the source years ago.

It uses the CS:S specific UserMessage 'RawAudio'.
I was only interested in TF2 stuff, so I didn't ask any more questions past that though.
Old 08-18-2010 , 04:48   Re: VCSounds: Allow players to send sounds with voice comm.
Reply With Quote #8

This may not be the right place to ask, but how can I find the structure of the RawAudio UserMessage?

I was looking through this post and began to think that this could be done with a SM plugin by itself.