Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Puff of smoke?

Post New Thread Reply   

Ms. Trooper
Old 07-13-2014 , 07:05   Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

How could I make a smoke effect appear from a player? Kinda like a trail?

Thanks. I don't expect anybody to write the whole thing for me, please.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 07-13-2014 , 10:10   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #2

Use a info_particle _system and parent it to them
Ms. Trooper
Old 07-13-2014 , 14:13   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Use a info_particle _system and parent it to them
Does this work in csgo as well?
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 07-13-2014 , 18:39   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #4

Yeah, Valve hasn't removed that much

I don't know about smoke particles, but last I checked (a few months ago) info_particle_systems worked fine.
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-13-2014 , 19:58   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #5

I wouldn't go ahead and call csgo useless in terms of modding. Or even less useful.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 07-13-2014 , 21:01   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #6

'Twas a small joke, but it's definitely less moddable than other Source games. Take things like this for example (and some of the other parts of that page), and other missing features like HUD text (which, ironically, CS:S got recently, after everybody left for CS:GO). And that's just server-side; you can't even make client-side skins or sound mods, as far as I'm aware of (all "installation instructions" usually say something like "edit so-and-so in the game's .vpk files")

It's still possible to change it around; just less so. And the rest of the changes that they're making to the game are really nice. /offtopic rant, sorry
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-13-2014 , 21:41   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
[...]you can't even make client-side skins or sound mods, as far as I'm aware of (all "installation instructions" usually say something like "edit so-and-so in the game's .vpk files")[...]
That has a good reason. Ever played L4D(2)? Expect most people to use mat-hacks, there's even rainbow-colored infected skins on the workshop. You can actually go ahead and paint the textures with an in-game command.

The only real quirk I see on that page is that playing sounds is kind of tricky. I've actually worked with csgo for a month now, so I am familiar with its pros and cons.

While CSGO does not have hud text, third person mode has been added recently (as an example). I am actually in contact with someone at Valve, and asked him if he could add support for a working, decent tp mode. And he did. If you ask the right people and know how to ask (present a solution and not yet another problem) those people can be your best friends. I'm pretty sure there's way more to come in the future.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 07-13-2014 at 21:44.
Ms. Trooper
Old 07-14-2014 , 22:12   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #8

God, there are no examples anywhere on how to do this! How do you guys learn about the use and parameters of all these different functions without any documentation???
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-15-2014 , 00:17   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #9

"Official" documentation.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...article_system

There's much more around, you just need to type it into some search engine (may it be google or the forums).
There's also other plugins around that use this. Find something you like and take a look at it.

Ms. Trooper
Old 07-15-2014 , 02:57   Re: Puff of smoke?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
"Official" documentation.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...article_system

There's much more around, you just need to type it into some search engine (may it be google or the forums).
There's also other plugins around that use this. Find something you like and take a look at it.
I always just use google with "site:forums.alliedmods.net" in the query. I looked at some other plugins. They're all for TF2 or use some other particle. I Dont even know what the smoke particle is called O.O