Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

C++ Plugins

Post New Thread Reply   

imported_malex
Old 10-27-2004 , 01:17  
Reply With Quote #11

Sorry Dygear, I meant Avalanche, he mentioned SmallC.

As for perl, it can do just about anything you want. There are loads of software written in perl that's much more complex than most AMX Mod X plugins. Perl's beauty is in that it can be used for both the small oneliners (which in perl could rival many software packages for complexity) and large complex programs. Take a look at http://search.cpan.org for some of the available extensions. Of course I haven't mentioned yet the Number One reason to use perl, perl regular expressions.

\malex\
otstrel
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-27-2004 , 16:05  
Reply With Quote #12

I would rather like to see Java or C# as a scripting language though my personal preference is C++. The reason is that plugin written in C++ would require much more thorough testing because of memory management and other issues inherent to C++. On other hand I'm not sure that building JVM or CLR into SourceMod would be sensible idea, especially considering bi-platform nature of the project...
By the way, Active Scripting support under Windows can be implemented fairly quickly and can provide easy support for lots of languages which has AS scripting host such as VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, PythonScript and so on. Obviously such approach would break the community into two pieces so it must be bad idea after all...
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2004 , 16:50  
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by otstrel
I would rather like to see Java or C# as a scripting language though my personal preference is C++. The reason is that plugin written in C++ would require much more thorough testing because of memory management and other issues inherent to C++. On other hand I'm not sure that building JVM or CLR into SourceMod would be sensible idea, especially considering bi-platform nature of the project...
By the way, Active Scripting support under Windows can be implemented fairly quickly and can provide easy support for lots of languages which has AS scripting host such as VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, PythonScript and so on. Obviously such approach would break the community into two pieces so it must be bad idea after all...
The problem with active scripting is its windows-specific. And it doesn't have small support
Old 10-27-2004 , 19:07  
Reply With Quote #14

SourceMod will have an API that anyone can write a frontend for. You wouldn't be limited to whatever frontend it comes with, but could instead write one in ASP or Java or C# or some other backwards language.

\malex\
XxAvalanchexX
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2004 , 23:12  
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by malex
Do you mean Small, the language used in AMX Mod X, AMXMod and Admin Mod?
No, I mean SmallC, the language used in AMX Mod X, AMXMod and Admin Mod.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-27-2004 , 23:57  
Reply With Quote #16

It's not called SmallC, I don't know where people get that from.

It's called Small.
otstrel
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-28-2004 , 02:16  
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
It's not called SmallC, I don't know where people get that from.

It's called Small.
Just to keep things simple, quote from "The Small Booklet":
Quote:
Small is a descendent of the original Small C by Ron Cain and James Hendrix, which at its turn was a subset of C. Some of the modifcations that I did to Small C, e.g. the removal of the type system and the substitution of pointers by references, were so fundamental that I could hardly call my language a "subset of C" or a "C dialect" anymore. Therefore, I stripped of the "C" from the title and kept the name "Small".
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2004 , 15:50  
Reply With Quote #18

No C#, it is icky for this line of scripting/coding.
Sveach
Old 11-14-2004 , 21:52  
Reply With Quote #19

I'm glad that we can code in c++ now, i'm trying to learn c++ as i'm going to college next year to start on a Masters/Bachelors in Computer Science, and a bunch of my classes are on programming/c++. I've got a book, anyone got any good sites?
Send a message via AIM to Sveach Send a message via MSN to Sveach
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2004 , 20:08  
Reply With Quote #20

So BAIL, are we still going with your own custom PHP version or are you just gonna embed Python ;)?