Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D] VS Fairness Mod

Post New Thread Reply   

Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2009 , 18:19   [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #1

I think it would be in the interest of many L4D VS communities if there was a plugin which ensured fairness in a Versus game.

What do I mean by "fairness?" Anything really to make the match more fair. For starters, the second team should get a tank if the first team got one (per stage). The second team should get T2 weapons before a tank, if the first team got T2 weapons before a tank. Both teams should have the same amount of medkits and painkillers. Perhaps even make all the item spawns completely the same for the second team.

To avoid a situation where the second team would know the exact placements of everything and thus the second team would always have an advantage, swap teams every map while retaining the scores. This last part by itself would be alone an excellent component of a fairness plugin.
ChillyWI
Old 01-02-2009 , 19:20   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #2

My suggestions for this are here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=777652

I'm sure much of it could be done with Sourcemod... just recording tank, witch, horde, and health/ammo data the first pass, disabling the director for those things on the second pass, and replicating them via Sourcemod. Would also require the reordering of the rounds as I detailed in the thread.
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2009 , 19:28   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #3

Agreed, ChillyWI. Even a carbon copy of the item/tank/witch etc spawns would still be far superior to what we have now, which can completely tilt the balance in favor of one team arbitrarily.
Crap
Old 01-03-2009 , 08:49   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #4

It wouldn't be "fair" then because whichever team went zombie first would know exactly what to expect when they play survivors.
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 01-03-2009 , 14:59   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crap View Post
It wouldn't be "fair" then because whichever team went zombie first would know exactly what to expect when they play survivors.
Yes, so instead of doing ABABABABAB you do ABBAABBAAB.
ChillyWI
Old 01-03-2009 , 16:49   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
Yes, so instead of doing ABABABABAB you do ABBAABBAAB.
This. And read my link, Crap. You'll find that it was addressed there, among other caveats. I really don't think it would be that hard for Valve to implement this since most of the framework is there already. If someone handles it via a plugin that's almost as good.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 01-03-2009 , 16:54   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #7

Competitive L4D. Why can't you people just enjoy a game for what it is - a game.

To be constructive, I will echo what I said in some other thread about this - If someone manages to create this plugin, PLEASE have it automatically set the allow_lobby_connect Cvar so that your servers are not joinable from a Lobby. Some of us want normal L4D.

Last edited by msleeper; 01-03-2009 at 17:44.
ChillyWI
Old 01-03-2009 , 19:25   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Competitive L4D. Why can't you people just enjoy a game for what it is - a game.

To be constructive, I will echo what I said in some other thread about this - If someone manages to create this plugin, PLEASE have it automatically set the allow_lobby_connect Cvar so that your servers are not joinable from a Lobby. Some of us want normal L4D.
So you don't think any games should be competitive? My league is a friendly competition that allows slightly more organization than normal pickup games. We did the same for TF2 and have done it with other games in the past. Most video games are competitive already... leagues just organize it more.
xanthra
Old 01-05-2009 , 12:17   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post

99% of the people who want this mod do not play publicly. So you have nothing to worry about. you could also say this about every other mod that is being developed.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 01-05-2009 , 17:56   Re: [L4D] VS Fairness Mod
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthra View Post
99% of the people who want this mod do not play publicly. So you have nothing to worry about. you could also say this about every other mod that is being developed.
99% of the people who want this mod probably do not play publicly, but I bet that 99% of people who play Versus in general either won't care either way, or want a normal Versus experience. I have no problem if you want to cater to the SUPER ELITE VERSUS COMPETITIVE OMFG players, I just don't think it's too much to ask that whoever ends up writing this adds in the few lines to make "sv_allow_lobby_connect_only = 0" automatic.