Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

A reliable get steam id

Post New Thread Reply   

kiceqs
Old 05-22-2019 , 08:05   A reliable get steam id
Reply With Quote #1

Since I have a server in mainland China, however, I found that GetSteamAccountID cannot guarantee always return users' steam account id (it will return 0).

I have tried to set validate to false; it looks like in 64 players, there will be around 3 players' steamid cannot be retrieved.

Will it be something about perfectworld or just I need to use another way to get steamid.

I think I may try to use GetClientAuthString as a fallback?
CrazyHackGUT
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2019 , 09:07   Re: A reliable get steam id
Reply With Quote #2

GetSteamAccountID() returns zero when server doesn't authorize client. For example, when server connection is Steam is unstable. In this moments, GetCluentAuthString() will also doesn't return SteamID (note: GetClientAuthString() and GetClientAuthId() also returns boolean), and just writes "magic" sourcemod string STEAM_ID_STOP_IGNORING_RETVALS.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 05-22-2019 , 17:40   Re: A reliable get steam id
Reply With Quote #3

GetClientAuthId provides them all in a reliable way.

Simply follow up on what CrazyHackGUT said, just check the return value:

PHP Code:
    if (GetClientAuthId(clientAuthId_SteamID64steamID64sizeof(steamID64))) {

/* Do whatever you want with the steamID64 from the SteamID64 variable */

} else {

/* Do something else, when the current steam ID isn't valid (e.g. Steam authentication
            problems). Perhaps halt here, and create a timer that will re-check later, such as
            for example every 20-30 seconds, and continue until GetClientAuthId returns true? */

You know when it returns false that it does not have a proper Steam ID that is verified with the Steam backend....

Following the API and checking the return values properly, means that you have a reliable way.

Being lazy (and most of all: a lousy developer), and not following the documentation properly, ... literally means that it will get as reliable as the developer wants it.

If you need the proper ID (... in a realible way), do the above and decide in the ELSE part;

a) Simply halt the procedures and re-check later using a timer before continuing.

b) Simply kick then client due to failure to validate Steam ID, asking him/her to try re-connecting.

a) Could eventually be made together with something limiting a player's functionality, or forcing them to stay on the spectator team, etc...

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].