Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

FF2 Server Rising: Looking For a Path Forward

Post New Thread Reply   

DigitalVagrant
Old 10-16-2013 , 22:41   Server Rising: Looking For a Path Forward
Reply With Quote #1

Greetings, AlliedModders. I was referred here by the glorious creator of trainsawlaser some time back, and in that time I have been using your wealth of information to solve all sorts of problems. Many thanks for that.

I am now in the process of looking to build my own setup of Versus Saxton Hale Mode. In light of such builds as Vs Ponyville and Vs Equestria keeping their code to themselves, I figured it was only reasonable to build my own for my TF2-playing compatriots. Figuring that Freak Fortress 2 was the best way to create my own version of these mods, I've proceeded to set up a Windows Dedicated Server on my home computer to build it on. Metamod, Sourcemod, TF2 Items, and Freak Fortress 2 are successfully installed.

The problem is that, having attempted to read through the massive amount of documentation on this forum regarding the mod, I have realized that FF2 is not a perfect mod, and that some serious bughunting may be necessary to get it to work without much hassle, even if I plan to replace all the default bosses. As I am relatively inexperienced at the server admin gig and there are a countless number of posts on FF2, I was hoping to get a more organized opinion from someone before I run myself ragged overcomplicating things.

So, I ask you all: Is there any standard-procedure debugging I should do before I start working on the new content for my mod? I've already encountered and fixed the "models replaced with ERROR" issue, though I ran into Seeldier and Seelman snapping into Civilain pose instead of dying before I reached the end of my short testing session. Not to mention having witnessed the Demopan kill crash when a friend of mine tried to run it. I figured it was for the best to ask wiser heads before I blundered into something serious.

Thanks for your time.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 10-17-2013 , 07:13   Re: Server Rising: Looking For a Path Forward
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVagrant View Post
In light of such builds as Vs Ponyville and Vs Equestria keeping their code to themselves, I figured it was only reasonable to build my own for my TF2-playing compatriots. Figuring that Freak Fortress 2 was the best way to create my own version of these mods
Make/Modify ff2 subplugins. I maintain/modify lots of code for such communities, and for the most part, It's stock ff2 with some minor fixes and feature changes. Everything else can/should be accomplished through subplugins that would be compatible with vanilla ff2.

Dunno about vs equestria, pretty sure they just servercommand everything and don't know how to code, but I have not cared to check in some while, so I can not be sure.
DigitalVagrant
Old 10-17-2013 , 18:05   Re: Server Rising: Looking For a Path Forward
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Make/Modify ff2 subplugins. I maintain/modify lots of code for such communities, and for the most part, It's stock ff2 with some minor fixes and feature changes. Everything else can/should be accomplished through subplugins that would be compatible with vanilla ff2.

Dunno about vs equestria, pretty sure they just servercommand everything and don't know how to code, but I have not cared to check in some while, so I can not be sure.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond. From what information I've been able to gather, Vs Equestria was built before Freak Fortress was made, so I'm unable to confirm what they use for it.

As for your suggestion, it's somewhat encouraging to know that much of what I'll need to make my mod is already out there, and won't need to be created from scratch (though I was prepared to do that anyway, if that's what I had to do to get the results I wanted). I'm having a bit of trouble with the minor fixes, though; there are hundreds of pages on FF2, and seemingly endless numbers of potential issues and fixes for them. Are there any glaring ones that I should know to fix up front? I don't know the solution to the civilian mode death issue, for example.

Again, thanks for helping out.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 10-18-2013 , 06:13   Re: Server Rising: Looking For a Path Forward
Reply With Quote #4

Vs equestria is ff2 with all of the credits ripped out and replaced by that guy's name, and all of the commands/version numbers changed, atleast that is what it was a few months ago, so I doubt anything changed.

Civilian death means you dont have phy models being sent to clients. Ff2 didn't come with them. For the most part default ones can be used, but not always, as itll crash clients if you send the wrong phy.