Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

SourceBB - Coming Soon!

Post New Thread Reply   

Beaverbeliever
Old 10-11-2009 , 22:06   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #61

We hope to have a version released by Halloween (Oct. 31st, 2009). We are trying to get the ball rolling as fast as possible!
DeJaDeW
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-31-2009 , 12:41   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #62

I really wanna try this out. I hope it comes out today
Old 10-31-2009 , 14:00   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #63

As i know it doesnt.
Old 11-02-2009 , 21:09   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #64

Took us years to write and perfect our SourceMod integration with Vbulletin... be very interested to see a phpBB version though. We already require steam-ids from our servers in order to register, makes spam non-existent. You'll love that feature.

Scuzzy
FeuerSturm
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-20-2009 , 12:34   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #65

Is this dead or still alive?
Beaverbeliever
Old 11-20-2009 , 15:04   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #66

This is still alive, but we are really getting slowed down. I myself am learning PHP to really push to get it done
Old 11-22-2009 , 00:24   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #67

The only thing im concerned about, how does it validate a steamid on signup? eg what stops me from signing up on the forum taking someone elses steamid?

This could be used maliciously, say they spam up the forum and an admin applies a global ban including servers.
Beaverbeliever
Old 11-22-2009 , 00:30   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #68

We are working at this very moment with the enhanced verification properties of SourceBB. A user will add their SteamID into phpBB, and it will be added to a MySql table. Then the user can go into a server and type !verify, which will then lookup the SteamID in the table with the forum entries, and if it exists, will create a new entry in sm_admins. They are then locked from changing their SteamID on the site, and now only an administrator can change it.

We are working on getting all the fine details working right now
Old 11-22-2009 , 00:56   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #69

A better way would be to generate a private key that the user would enter the server and enter into the console.

For example, the user would generate a key on the website (say 1234567890) and it would tell the user to join one of their servers and type (for example) "register <key>" into console (so something like "register 1234567890"), which would then look up that registration key and then assign the user to the steamid of the client connected to the server.
Beaverbeliever
Old 11-22-2009 , 01:03   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #70

The reason we didn't do this was because of the lack of support that can be given by server administrators. The simplicity of typing !verify seems to have the same amount of added security as giving a verification string. Since only the user with the SteamID would verify it, the worst that can happen is 2 people swap their SteamID's as a joke, but they could do the same thing for the verification strings. Username's are really only used by the administration for identification, so that is the only flaw with this verification system, or the string of letters for entry.