Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

OSX vs GoldSource

Post New Thread Reply   

DS
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-27-2013 , 13:24   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #11

Regarding HLDS, there isn't one for OS X at this time, but listen servers work.

Though I should note that I have an unofficial version in the works. It's not quite ready and has a few issues, but it does more or less work as long as you have the Steam client is running. You can give it a try here. You can just put the binary in the Half-Life install directory and run it from there. There's no HLTV yet, but it's on my todo list. I'm not exactly sure when I'll get back to it though, because I'm currently concentrating on a rewrite of srcds_osx.
kingdom of weird stuff
Old 09-27-2013 , 16:02   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbullet View Post
the "all OSes" package includes the ".dylib" file (the OSX dynamic library file).
I have just downloaded that package two hours ago, when reconfiguring a friend's server, I recognized the .dll and .so files, and was astonished about that third (unknown) file, without searching to know what kind of extention is this, as I only needed the .so one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS View Post
Though I should note that I have an unofficial version in the works..
better than the lazy Valve .

thanks for everything.
Old 09-27-2013 , 18:02   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #13

Why would anyone host a server on a Mac? To my knowledge, Macs are for end users, not servers. Does there exist a special 'server' build of Mac OS?
Old 09-27-2013 , 20:19   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Why would anyone host a server on a Mac? To my knowledge, Macs are for end users, not servers. Does there exist a special 'server' build of Mac OS?
There used to be server editions of all Mac OSX versions, lately they are offering it in a special package on the app store. They had a special hardware for servers too - Xserve, it's been dropped in favour of mac mini with osx server.

I've never seen anybody using it as a dedicated server though. If a more powerful machine is needed, Apple doesn't offer a suitable solution (mac pros are too expensive). I guess that's why Valve doesn't care about releasing hlds for OSX.

On the other hand, there are lots of developers that are adopting OSX as their main platform. Having these dedicated servers running on Macs would be very handy.

Last edited by commonbullet; 09-27-2013 at 20:55.
Send a message via ICQ to commonbullet Send a message via MSN to commonbullet
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-27-2013 , 21:13   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Why would anyone host a server on a Mac? To my knowledge, Macs are for end users, not servers.
This company might disagree with you. There are other people out there who offer Mac OS X hosting (Dedicated and Virtual/Cloud)

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
commonbullet
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 21:35   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
This company might disagree with you. There are other people out there who offer Mac OS X hosting (Dedicated and Virtual/Cloud)
Nice, I didn't know that.
Impressive (and funny) mac pros "facilities" too.
commonbullet
Veteran Member
Old 10-06-2013 , 20:13   Re: OSX vs GoldSource
Reply With Quote #17

I've written these tools to provide a very rudimentary support for helping scripting on OSX through TextWrangler or BBEdit editors. It features syntax highlighting and menu items for compiling (they can be mapped to keys shortcuts).
TextWrangler is a free and light-weight code and text editor; it has less features than its older brother: BBEdit. The most important feature that is missing on TextWrangler in comparison to BBEdit is the autocomplete helper.

Installation is as simple as placing those files on <userhome>/Library/Application Support/TextWrangler or <userhome>/Library/Application Support/BBEdit.

Compiling scripts detects amxmodx installations and compile files directly to plugins directory, so there's nothing to configure.

I'll be very busy with other projects soon (boring stuff ), so I had to publish this one as it is on github in a hurry, hoping it could serve at least as a basis for better tools.

As an additional info, menu items were buit in AppleScript weird language. So I guess it might be easily adapted or ported for other code editors out there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip amxx-textwrangler.zip (150.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by commonbullet; 10-06-2013 at 20:16.