Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Direct Parameters in ArraySort() Callback

Post New Thread Reply   

hleV
Veteran Member
Old 09-23-2012 , 10:17   Direct Parameters in ArraySort() Callback
Reply With Quote #1

It's more of a request, which, if granted, would increase the performance of the callback function passed in ArraySort().

An example plugin:
Code:
#include <amxmodx> public plugin_init() {     new Array:array = ArrayCreate(32);     FillArrayWithRandomValues(array); // Irrelevant     ArraySort(array, "OnSortArray");     ArrayDestroy(array); } public OnSortArray(Array:array, item1, item2) {     static value1[32], value2[32];     ArrayGetArray(array, item1, value1);     ArrayGetArray(array, item2, value2);         return GetSortReturnValue(value1, value2); // Irrelevant }
Now everytime OnSortArray() is called, ArrayGetArray() is called twice. It becomes a very expensive operation when there are thousands of entries in the array to sort.

What I want to suggest is to directly pass the values of currently sorted array items rather than their positions in the array. So it would become:
Code:
public OnSortArray(Array:array, const value1[], const value2[]) {     return GetSortReturnValue(value1, value2); // Irrelevant }
That should be possible, right? One array can only hold either cells, strings or arrays, so there wouldn't be problems with deciding what kind of parameters to pass into the callback.

This would be useful for both AMX Mod X & SourceMod.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-23-2012 , 14:54   Re: Direct Parameters in ArraySort() Callback
Reply With Quote #2

Then why not go submit this as a Feature Request in the Bug Tracker?

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
hleV
Veteran Member
Old 09-23-2012 , 16:13   Re: Direct Parameters in ArraySort() Callback
Reply With Quote #3

Fair enough.

Though I can't seem to find this Feature Request. Everything there seems to imply that I'm reporting a bug.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-23-2012 , 16:19   Re: Direct Parameters in ArraySort() Callback
Reply With Quote #4

In some sense you are reporting a bug, as the feature is missing.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).